This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you expect me to do?!

This I guess fits better with the sucky customers than the brain burps.
    Yesterday, I went up to the front to help my manager inflate some balloons and when someone came up to the checkout I would ring them out. Well, this lady comes up with wrapping paper and thats it, part of our spiel as cashiers is to ask for home phone numbers and this kind of happened.

Me: It be me
    WC: Weird customer
    M:Manager

Me:Hey There can I get a home phone number?
    WC: *stares at me then points at the wrapping paper* ...
    Me: Alright...*rings up wrapping paper* Your total is $X.XX
    WC: *Hands me money*
    Me: Alright here's your change have a nice day! *turns around to help with balloons some more*
    M:She's still there...
    Me: Whut? *turns around*
    WC:*staring at me*...
    Me: um...Do you need something ma'am?
    WC:*takes something out of her other bag and point at it then the wrapping paper*
    Me:Sorry ma'am we don't wrap here
    WC: *stares*...*makes what I guess is a wrapping motion with her hands*
    Me: ah....Hold on ma'am *wanders off to find co-worker*

The lady is hispanic so I figured maybe she just didn't know English, I went to go get my CO who took 4 years of Spanish in high school.Normally if someone doesn't speak English they ask me if I speak Spanish but this lady didn't utter a single word. What ended up happening is my Co-worker had to wrap the gift cuz the lady kept pushing the package at her and making wrapping motions. It was really weird.

Why do you ask customers for their home phone numbers??

Comment

We ask for phone numbers because after it goes into our computer it generates an address and we send coupons. We don't call or anything (Thank god)

Comment

uh, I think your customer was deaf. She couldn't hear anything you said.

If she show's up in your line again, point to your earlobe with your index finger and draw a line to your chin. Then point to the customer. You just learned to say "Are you deaf?" in ASL.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I first thought she was deaf as well, but it has been my experience that deaf people often make some indication of that fact so the person they're interacting with is aware of the situation. This led me to believe she was probably just very strange, with or without her limited English skills.

Comment

She probably determined that playing dumb was the best way to get what she wanted.

Comment

Well, I've had a deaf person come into the store before and she had a pen and paper and she told me she was deaf. My co-worker thought maybe she was mute but we didn't know.

Comment

Quoth the toy guy View Post
                She probably determined that playing dumb was the best way to get what she wanted.
                So many others have caught on to that that I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

But then again I have a very jaded perspective on humanity as a whole.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                  uh, I think your customer was deaf. She couldn't hear anything you said.

If she show's up in your line again, point to your earlobe with your index finger and draw a line to your chin. Then point to the customer. You just learned to say "Are you deaf?" in ASL.
                  ...and then they will start waving their hands around in complicated gestures, basically saying "I'm so glad to find someone who understands and can communicate with me!!!"

You'll be able to shrug back...

Seriously, I hope that my college has an ASL class that's convenient for me at some point. I'd really like to learn, even if I'm not in a position to use it very often.

Eric the Grey
                  In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Oddly enough, ASL is quite easy. I use lifeprint.com for a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-chair lesson.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

It's also possible that she spoke a dialect from an out-of-the-way part of south or central america and knew that nobody would be able to understand her. There are indeed still many people who don't speak Spanish or Portugese in those countries.
                      What a wonderful thing humanity is-- passionate, intelligent, inquisitive, generous, fully of hope and joy, noble of spirit, and above all... delicious! -- LaCroix

Comment

Working...
                      X