This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One "fear" of consulting...

Especially "side" consulting. I'm actually surprised the guy in this story agreed to this job...

https://thedailywtf.com/articles/the...aid-consultant
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Not surprised. Seen it too many times. There is a sucker born every minute and Sean had a large "S" tattooed on his forehead. Sean may be a good programmer, but he is a bad salesman.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
      Not surprised. Seen it too many times. There is a sucker born every minute and Sean had a large "S" tattooed on his forehead. Sean may be a good programmer, but he is a bad salesman.
      Tell me about it. He really got the short end of the stick, there.

I would have said no from the start (as would most developers). But that's just me. And for him to continue developing when they throw more stuff at him without raising his prices? Nope. That's what my wife would refer to as a "sunk cost". At that point you just say, "I'm sorry, I can't do that for that quoted amount". And you stop work.

Comment

I can see low balling the first job for a customer to get in the door (IMO Bad idea. Sets precedence). When the work was done, that should have been it. New job. New fee.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

It kind of reminds me of this old Dilbert strip:

http://dilbert.com/strip/1994-10-17

Comment

I've heard of quite a few consultants working for minimum wage or less with flat-rate contracts.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
              I've heard of quite a few consultants working for minimum wage or less with flat-rate contracts.
              I have, too. That's usually because "done" isn't defined, and it's a poorly written contract.

Comment

Working...
              X