This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No cash back on a business charge!!!!

One of the local auto dealerships has a charge account set up with my convenience store chain, and they frequently fuel up their fleet at my store because it's just a couple of blocks from us. Having worked there the last couple years, I know everyone who works for the dealership.

So, yesterday, a customer comes in with a charge slip. He had just purchased a used truck, and they allowed him to charge $25 in gas to sweeten the deal. It's a common occurrence, so I took the charge slip from him and told him to go fuel up.

He then asked if he could just get $20 in fuel and $5 cash rather than $25 gas. I looked at him puzzled, "This is a business account. We don't give cash back. It's strictly for fuel charges and related purchases only."

He replied that his boss made a mistake, and said it would be okay.

"No, I don't think so. If you pump less than $25, then THAT amount is what will be charged on this slip. We simply don't give cash back on a business customer's charge account under any circumstances."

He then informed me he'd need the receipt when he's done.

"Yes, you'll get a copy of the receipt when you're done. That's how we do it."

At this point, the manager had overheard enough of the conversation while counting cigarettes to place her order. She stepped up beside me and asked what he wanted. I told her. So, she stepped back to the office to call the dealership. I've worked in our store location longer than she had, so I knew the accounting manager from dealing with her on numerous occasions. I explained to her what had happened, and she asked to pick up a copy of the receipt.

In the meantime, the customer came in to get his copy of the receipt. He left without another word. The dealership accounting manager arrived to pick up her copy of the receipt. She had spotted the vehicle I'd described on her way up, so she said she figured he was heading back to the dealership.

I later learned that the customer had told the dealership's general manager that we didn't give him a copy of the receipt. However, the accounting manager let it be known that she had picked up a copy after hearing from us. She didn't specify what happened after that, but she did thank me for watching out for their interests and let me know that she told the general manager what really happened.

The kicker is that I'd seen the customer in the store before, and he strikes me as on of those who will try to stir trouble if he thinks he can push. I'm not a pushover, though.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Okay, not really getting this, I'm afraid. Why would the dealership care how the guy got those 25 bucks they gave him? 25 dollars is 25 dollars; they could've just knocked that off the price of the truck, or given him the money, or whatever.

Where's the problem?
    You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
      Okay, not really getting this, I'm afraid. Why would the dealership care how the guy got those 25 bucks they gave him? 25 dollars is 25 dollars; they could've just knocked that off the price of the truck, or given him the money, or whatever.

Where's the problem?

My question exactly. What is the problem? Just because he asked if he could get $5.00 back in cash, is not exactly going to be meaning that he is an SC.
      Under The Moon Paranormal Research
      San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

As far as I can tell, he's buying gas on a company card. So he was asking for $5 cashback, most likely wanting to pocket it. Hence the rule of No cash back on a business charge.
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post
          As far as I can tell, he's buying gas on a company card. So he was asking for $5 cashback, most likely wanting to pocket it. Hence the rule of No cash back on a business charge.
          Sure, that makes sense. But if I understood the OP correctly, the guy wasn't working for the dealership, he was a customer there who'd just bought a car, and the gas was part of the deal he got.

Of course, why the guy would make a fuss over not getting 5 dollars in cash which he could've just invested in another gallon of gas, I don't know. Unless the tank was full, and he wouldn't have gotten the whole amount?
          You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Quoth Canarr View Post
            Sure, that makes sense. But if I understood the OP correctly, the guy wasn't working for the dealership, he was a customer there who'd just bought a car, and the gas was part of the deal he got.

Of course, why the guy would make a fuss over not getting 5 dollars in cash which he could've just invested in another gallon of gas, I don't know. Unless the tank was full, and he wouldn't have gotten the whole amount?
            Exactly, what I am saying
            Under The Moon Paranormal Research
            San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

True, but part of the deal was he got to put in $25 of gas. Not $20 gas and $5 for himself. All or nothing. Otherwise that's like a customer at the tills being told "You get 10% discount if you buy this" and them saying "Naw, I'll just take the money out of the register instead" when they're at the register.

The original agreement was gas only, not cash back. Not to mention that aurelemsrealm stated that account is for:
              It's strictly for fuel charges and related purchases only.
              So if he'd wanted to buy $5 worth of stuff, then I think aurelemsrealm would've let it slide.
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

And, if you read that last bit, he went back to the dealership and told them he didn't get a reciept. Why? I'd bet a goodly sum he told them that he didn't get $25 in gas, and wanted the rest in cash. I bet he would have done the same even if he did get cash back. The guy was a scammer, pure and simple.
                The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

And all this over five bucks?
                  Music: Last.fm
                  Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

Quoth PaRaGaS View Post
                    Big criminals start small.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth PaRaGaS View Post
                      all i gotta say is.... heh...

Comment

Personally, I could've cared less about it, but I knew that the dealership would frown on someone pocketing $5 on their account. It would have come back on us had I allowed it, and they found out later. They authorized him to charge $25 in fuel only -- no cash, no anything else. The dealership is one of our biggest accounts, so upper management would most definitely have been involved had the dealership made an issue of it. I knew all of this, so the answer was clear.
                        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                          Big criminals start small.
                          No, only small-time hustlers and losers pull crap like that. Big criminals start where the hustlers top out and go from there, because they know the risk isn't worth it on the pee-wee league crap.

That said, the guy was a cheap, two-bit con-artist.
                          ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                          And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                          X