This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NPDor sweepland? Can they be trusted?

When I was looking on snagajob, I was asked if I wanted to recieve emails from NPD online research. Basically, they are a marketing research organization that asks you to fill out surveys. I already signed up for it and filled out a couple (the introduction one and my first official survey), but up until that point, I had only given out my email.

What got me interested was the chance to win cash and prizes. They have this thing called sweepland where for every survey you fill out, you get to spin this wheel to earn points. Those points can be wagered into drawings to win cash prizes and other prizes (nothing big, typically in the hundreds and a few thousand dollar prizes).

Of course, they want your personal information, including your home address so if you do win, they can send you your prize. Obviously, that's not something you want to be giving around to anyone online. However, the thing seems pretty legit, a few google searches led me to youtube videos and forum posts about the site being okay.

Now, I haven't given out my address and the only personal information was from the survey (family structer, income level ect). Since I haven't won anything aside from points, I have no reason to give them my address yet (I can still be signed on even without it), but it sounds like a pretty cool concept. It reminds me of Mcdonalds Monopoly online game.

So what I am asking is does anyone have experience with NPD? Will they live up to their agreement and only use my address for prizes? Or will they sell my info to scammers, spammers, the mafia, and god knows what? Like I said, they look legit, but you can never be too careful.

I've been a member of NPDor for the better part of my nearly 10.5 years online.

If they've sold my info to anyone else, I'm blissfully unaware of it. Of course, I get the occasional Spam, which my Junk Filter is pretty good about catching, and there's no way to know how the Spammers acquired my addy.

In all that time, I have yet to win anything. I always opt for the $5,000.00 cash prize, which pays out about every three months.

It usually takes no more than ten minutes to fill the survey out. I'm probably usually done in closer to five. But that might be because I don't buy a lot of stuff clothing, electronics, cell/cable service, music downloads, etc, which seems to come up quite often in the surveys.

There's been a few occasions where it took much longer, maybe twenty minutes or so, when even though I answered negatively to the early questions, the survey went on to some weird tangent, asking me several more questions that were totally unrelated to how the survey started out, or continued asking questions related to what I'd already basically said "no" to.

The longest one was about 1.5 years ago, when I was in the hospital and using a friend's laptop. I think it was one of those that I thought would be really quick because of how it started out, and didn't really pertain to my recent purchasing activity, because the time frame it covered, was my first few weeks in the hospital!

I don't remember much of the details of the survey, but it was like I'd basically give a negative response to each of the questions, and the survey would keep pushing for more detailed answers. I think it literally took me 1-1.5 hours to complete it, not only because I was typing from the hospital bed a bit awkwardly, but, I think the wireless mouse had died by then, and I was using the clumsy mouse thingy built into the keyboard. Plus, I had hospital brain! I know I didn't need to finish the survey, but I'm stubborn!

I also get a kick out of playing the little Sweepland games. They change them up from time to time, so not only do they have the current wheel one, they also have a Family Feud "survey sez" type game, a race car game, and one a bit remniscent of Plinko, amongst others.

Hope this helps! And if you continue to play have fun, and good luck!

(Just don't win the $5,000.00 before I do! )

Mike
    Meow.........

Comment

Wow, an hour and a half long survey? That's worse than most of the mall ones! At least from the sounds of it, most of them are pretty short. The one I took was on TV and only took about 5 minutes.

It does sound like fun though and also legit, so I may have to give it a try. It sounds like it can become addicting too!

Comment

Yeah, it probably wouldn't have taken nearly as long if I'd been at home on my desktop, and my brain wasn't fogged up. (Although I figure it still would have been a half hour, at least).

IIRC, that 1.5 hours I seem to be recollecting included a little idle time here and there where I took some short breaks for whatever reason.

Oh, and I think it was running slow (dial-up) each time I'd hit the next page arrow.

Mike
        Meow.........

Comment

I'm on NPD also, and have not seen any rise in spam mail because of it. I've also not won anything yet, and I'm not holding my breath, but they seem to be pretty harmless.
          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Another quick question, do I need to give the address now? Like if I happen to win the 500 on those spins, will it not let me collect it or will it let put my address in later to collect?

In other words, if I do win something and didn't put my address on, does that mean it's too late to collect that prize?

Comment

Hmmmm......this is interesting.

I just logged in to NPDor to check my account info. Clicked on the change info link, but all it had in relation to a physical addy for me was my zip code.

I was figuring I had submitted my full home addy, upon my original sign-up, whether required at the time, or voluntary. So, maybe they don't require it up front.

So, rageaholic, if you decide to really get into this, be sure to keep an eye out on your e-mail, soon after the end date of whichever prize you choose, (I think I've read somewhere that it's around two weeks after) because you may be a winner!!

(But not of my $5,000.00! )

Mike
              Meow.........

Comment

Working...
              X