This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elysium (spoilers?)

So I got back from seeing Elysium today.

It would've been nice to have heard or seen a bit more of a backstory to the place itself, that is-the shape and structure of it and why it's done as such. Instead we basically get chucked into the plot with very minimal backstory. There are some very clear similarities between our current world and the world set in the film too (except that the upper class are "separate" from us compared to the lower class)

Matt Damon plays the central character and it works nicely. He handles it a bit too "gung-ho" for someone who works in a factory though and seems to act like he had military training. Apparently they were going to offer the role to Eminem, who wanted the film to be shot in Detroit. Personally, Matt seems to fill the role WAY better. Again, we don't get a lot of backstory as to his character. He's apparently an ex-con, but the only reference to that is that he once stole stuff from a market as a kid. The character as a whole seems a tad one-dimensional too.

Jodie Foster plays the main "villain" in this story. Now HER character I could actually draw on a bit more of a link between the movie and the modern-day world in terms of immigration and how she handles it (think very much "shoot them down" type thing). Except that in this story, the immigrants aren't trying to blend into the United States, they're trying to get medical treatment for themselves/their kids before leaving. The main reason why I refer to her as the "villain" in this sense is that her actions set the chain of events in motion, rather than the other baddie who comes into play.

The other bad guy is played by a South African guy. I will admit, I thought he was Australian at first due to the accent (sounds a tad ocker and when you put Australian accents next to American ones, they sound VERY different) . The reason why he's NOT the main villain to me is more that he doesn't have a motive or a reason to do anything at first-Jodie Foster's character gives him a reason and some information to do so. Just beware-his character (along with Matt Damon's) have some very gruesome scenes in the film.

The plot itself seemed a tad rushed at times and it would've been nice to have seen more of a backstory to several more of the characters (for instance, Matt damon's love interest has a daughter. More information about the daughter please, especially because she proves to be one of the focal points in the story!), which would've helped give them a reason.

The ending is nice and seemed to me as a subtle "this is how we help curb illegal immigration" PSA-that is, address the problems on their home turf and that'll give them less of a reason to come over here.

There was one scene though that made me giggle VERY much so: the shape of the "rich" people's house resembles a star. At one point in the beginning, the star actually flickers back and forth against the screen for a bit, looking more like it's been suspended from fishing wire.

So mixed overall: semi-decent storyline, slightly one-dimensional characters, but otherwise a damn good almost 2-hour action flick.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Quoth fireheart View Post
    It would've been nice to have heard or seen a bit more of a backstory to the place itself, that is-the shape and structure of it and why it's done as such. Instead we basically get chucked into the plot with very minimal backstory.
    Urgh, I'm noticing this a lot in dystopia films and the like recently. No backstory, not even a short explanation at the beginning. The development of the setting is so important with these non-historical stories that to ignore it is to shove the characters into a generic catch-all story - generic love interest, generic bad guy, generic call to adventure - with no true understanding of why and how, thus making the movie that diesn't bother with setting bloody boring.
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
      Urgh, I'm noticing this a lot in dystopia films and the like recently. No backstory, not even a short explanation at the beginning. The development of the setting is so important with these non-historical stories that to ignore it is to shove the characters into a generic catch-all story - generic love interest, generic bad guy, generic call to adventure - with no true understanding of why and how, thus making the movie that diesn't bother with setting bloody boring.
      This one does provide a backstory, but with text only.

Comment

Actually they did say why Max went to prison: grand theft auto. He's gung ho about his job only because he is trying to go straight and avoid another prison sentence.

Kruger isn't just played by a South African, that's Sharlto Copley, from "District 9."

I found it interesting that Max's exo-suit was primarily given to him just so he could stand up and complete the job. (Because he's dying from radiation exposure.) The trailers didn't really give you that sense.

All in all, I rather liked it.
        PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I think it's because backstory is so taboo these days that when they do provide it, it's kept short.
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

It's partly that any backstory for SF stories like Elysium is gonna require some infodumping, and that slows down the pace of the story, if you try to do it all at once.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Honestly this movie should have been a three or four part TV movie. You can have back story, in depth characters, and the villains/heros could be expanded upon.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                Honestly this movie should have been a three or four part TV movie. You can have back story, in depth characters, and the villains/heros could be expanded upon.
                That's my view as well. It HAD the potential to be a great in-depth story. But instead it just seemed a tad generic.

FTR, Gattaca did it better

Comment

I'm wondering if there is a book that expands in the backstory and the characters.

Comment

Just seen it. No real depth, though it had potential. I agree with the concept that it could have been made into a longer TV movie.

I started yawning. Seriously. It was quite adequate until they got to the space station, at which point it was blatantly a vehicle for pitching Matt Damon into fights with other people. Just went completely flat for interest at that point, and it was nothing we'd not seen before. It became linear and formulaic from that point, barring the rather more gruesome death scenes at about that point.

Oh, and the mercenary guy was pretty over the top and unconvincing.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                    X