This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon cell phone

Mom has a Verizon pre paid plan. She also has a flip phone she adores. Because of this Verizon no longer has the phone available. So good folks of CS who met my mom through some posts on here a long while back...input please?

She needs a new phone.
    Said phone can NOT be a smart phone. She doesn't get the coverage for it in her area.
    Said phone can also NOT be a touch sensitive phone. Her fingers don't register on my iPhone or a friends crackbetry.
    And if possible she would like to stay with a flip phone (I think that's because it's what she knows)

Ideas?

I myself prefer dumbphones. I recently got a Samsung Gusto 2. It is a nice little flip phone, and since I got it just about 8 weeks ago it should still be available. It got it free by renewing my contract but I think it wasn't very expensive originally either. I don't know much about prepaid plans but if she can use it on her plan I recommend it. It calls and texts and takes crappy pictures.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
      a flip phone she adores. Because of this Verizon no longer has the phone available.
      Oh Aethian, your recent spate of bad luck has turned you cynical indeed!

These are from googlin' - Mom would have to check on them and then check w/ Verizon as to compatibility, but it should give youse guyz a starting point. I've always had good luck with LG devices myself. ymmv.

LG Exalt
      LG Revere
      Samsung Gusto (and the aforementioned Gusto 2)
      CASIO G’zOne Ravine (with and w/o camera)

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post

Oh Aethian, your recent spate of bad luck has turned you cynical indeed!
        Actually I was going with the old joke of finding something you love and then finding out it was discontinued. I should have probably pointed out she's had this flip for two-three years now. Not cynical yet...I think...

My first phone was a LG but we'll see how she can handle the ones mentioned. Thanks you two.

Comment

Verizon has what I would call really dumb phones, because I added both of my parents to my plan and they got very basic phones. There was actually one that was simpler than what they got, but it was too simple for them. This was about 4 months ago.

Comment

See she needs something that isn't dumb dumb but it can't be a smart phone. So one of those middle of the ground phones.

Comment

Check ebay, you may find the same model phone.

Comment

I'd say check with Verizon what specs a phone needs in order to work on their network. Since the phone you want isn't available new through them, it's not a case of trying to find a better deal.

There are 2 basic types of cellphones (assuming digital) - GSM and another that I can't recall the name (I think it's CDMA, but that could be something else entirely). With GSM, unless it's "locked" to a network (but those can be "unlocked"), you just put in the SIM card from your network and it's good to go. So far as the provider's computer is concerned, the SIM card is the phone, so no provider-level work is needed to change phones so long as you use the same SIM card.

With the other one, in many cases it can't be transferred to a different network, even one that uses the same technology as the network it was issued for. With these, if you've got a phone that's set up for the right network, the provider needs to switch things in their computer to get it registered to your account.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My Dad has had an LG Accolade for years, and recently it broke. They sent him a new one Not sure if that's what your Mom had/is looking for, but it's a basic phone with no smart capabilities, just texting and calling.
                  The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Working...
                  X