This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do I tip a bartender?

We may be going out for drinks for my sister's birthday this weekend. Believe it or not, I've never gone to a bar/restaurant for just drinks...how much do I tip?

I usually tip 15-20% for a restaurant meal. Is the percentage generally about the same for drinks?
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

It works for me.

Generally, that is the amount we hope for/expect on any tab. If you don't run a tab, but pay as you go, often (but not always) it's a dollar a drink or so. Obviously if the drinks and/or your area are more expensive, you may want to adjust the tips upward.

Obviously the level of service and competence of your bartender(s) can and should adjust your tip level in one direction or another.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

As Jester said if I'm paying with cash I tip $1 a drink, if I run a tab 15-20% depending on how awesome the bartender was.

Comment

If he falls over, you tipped him too much.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Thanks guys! Wanted to make sure I'm not beng stingy.

And Argabarga....

Really it's more likely that the three of us will be falling over....we're not big drinkers...

Comment

The dollar a drink rule flies out the window if you're drinking the real expensive stuff, by the way. I'm sorry, but if someone gets a $50 shot of rum and gives me a dollar, I am not going to be a happy bartender.

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            No, no, no....that's the waiter!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              The dollar a drink rule flies out the window if you're drinking the real expensive stuff, by the way. I'm sorry, but if someone gets a $50 shot of rum and gives me a dollar, I am not going to be a happy bartender.
              Oh hell yeah, I know that much

Turned out (as I said in the CS booze thread) we couldn't go where we wanted to go (they closed at 3:30 today!) so we just bought rum and wine to bring home instead, and I was amazed to find Brinley Gold Shipwreck Spiced rum!

What a very interesting aftertaste it leaves on the tongue....I could get to like this stuff

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                Or he took the French word for tip (pourboire - "here's something to buy yourself a drink with") literally.
                Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'm cheap, I drink drinks made with the well alcohol.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    I was amazed to find Brinley Gold Shipwreck Spiced rum!
                    The only rum of theirs I've tried that I wasn't all that impressed with. Thought it was, at best, an average spiced rum, nothing special like their flavored rums.

Quoth Akasa View Post
                    I'm cheap, I drink drinks made with the well alcohol.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap booze.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I usually tip around 20% myself, and they seem happy with it. Happy enough that if they see me coming in, they have my beer of choice ready for me before I even make my way to the bar.
                      Sometimes life is altered.
                      Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                      Uneasy with confrontation.
                      Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

If you want to be sure he'd fall over I'd say about 65 degrees.
                        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

First customers of the day yesterday: she ordered one cocktail, he had four double Bloody Marys. He enjoyed all four drinks. Which, as I said, were doubles. Their bill came to $60. They paid with a credit card, signed the slip, and left, thanking me.

The tip they wrote on the slip for their $60 tab? $3.

To them I say, go fuck yourselves.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                          X