This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "first unread post" is a one-way trip

On threads that extend to multiple pages, if you're on a page BEFORE the one with the first unread post and click on the "first unread post" link, it works properly (i.e. loads the appropriate page, and takes you to the first post in the thread you haven't read yet). If you're on the same page as the first unread post, the link also works properly (jumps you down the page to the first unread post).

If, however, you're on a page AFTER the first unread post, the link takes you to the first post on that page, rather than loading the page which contains the first unread post. Whether or not you click the link, manually selecting an earlier page makes the link disappear, so it's necessary to manually scan for the first unread post.

On "hot" threads, this can be a bit annoying if you guess wrong as to which page contains the first unread post. Is this fixable, or is it a bug inherent to VBulletin?
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Fekked if I know. Am considering a new skin to get around a few issues.

Rapscallion

Comment

This is actually normal behavior. vBulletin, so far as I have ever been able to find, does not record each post you've read. Instead, it puts in a bookmark which shows the id of the last post on the last page of the thread. That's where it considers you to have read to.

So, if you've got a thread with 5 pages, and read to post 14, then close the browser and come back later, it won't jump to post 15. Instead, it jumps to the top of the next page, post #20.

If you go to page 3, then vbulletin assumes that you have read through post 30, or have decided you didn't want to read them for some reason.

It's functioning the way it was meant to. And having it store enough information to know the posts you've actually read is not something that can be done on a site like this, not without compromising stability of the system.

Comment

Working...
      X