X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
    That reminded me: 160 Acres by Marty Robbins

I can't believe I bought 160 acres outside of El Paso without even knowing about that song.

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
      Betty dropped off a payment plan document from the county this morning. It was in the night deposit, so I didn't get to talk to her about it when she dropped it off.

It's not the actual contract with the county, though. It's basically a worksheet.

And if that all goes smoothly, we'll have to check with the county at the end of the year to make sure Betty makes her annual payments. It's kind of a pain, but I suppose it's less paperwork and lawyer's fees than foreclosing.
      Smoothly? Hah. Given her record, ten to one she figures waving a payment plan will stall the process until the county realizes she's still not actually paying.

Comment

• Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
        ten to one she figures waving a payment plan will stall the process until the county realizes she's still not actually paying.
        No bet; sounds like a cast-iron certainty to me.

Comment

• And

Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
          Smoothly? Hah. Given her record, ten to one she figures waving a payment plan will stall the process until the county realizes she's still not actually paying.
          She will start wailing that the fact she made a payment plan should mean they should hold off months even after she misses payment dates.

You know, just because.

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
            It's not the actual contract with the county, though. It's basically a worksheet.
            That sounds like something Gord received once: http://actsofgord.com/Justice/chapter07.php

But maybe, through a stroke of luck, that was a copy dropped off as a progress report rather than something she would need to retrieve before proceeding.

Comment

• Hmm... it's a photocopy of "[County] Payment Plan Enrollment Information". It appears it was filled out and signed by a county employee. But yeah... I hope Betty doesn't think this is going to placate us so that we won't follow up to ask for the contract and receipt. I really hope she doesn't think we won't follow up with the county to make sure she's making her payments.
              "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
              -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                ... I really hope ...
                Hope in one hand, *bleep* in the other and tell me which one gets warm!
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Any updates lately, Ghel?
                  Violets are blue,
                  Roses are red,
                  I bequeath to thee...
                  A boot to the head >_>

Comment

• No substantial update. We're giving Betty until the end of June to make the down payment on her payment plan for her property taxes. If she doesn't provide documentation that it's paid by then, we'll start foreclosure.
                    "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                    -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Par for the course, then. Pay/do just the absolute minimum, at the last possible moment, to avoid having it taken away. The tax down payment will likely be made by... June 27-28. Still, I wouldn't put it past her for a mad scramble over the weekend when government offices are closed.

Comment

• Betty somehow came through. She dropped off (in the night deposit, so she wouldn't have to face me) the notarized contract and documents from the county for her payment plan, along with a copy of the receipt showing she paid the $1700 down payment and the first half of the 2019 property tax. As Buzzard said, it's the bare minimum. But she did what we asked her to do to avoid foreclosure. Now we get to monitor and follow up, same as always with Betty.
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                          receipt showing she paid the $1700 down payment and the first half of the 2019 property tax. ... Now we get to monitor and follow up, same as always with Betty.
                          What odds the check bounces? Or does she have to use cashier's checks by this point?

Comment

• She used a cashier's check. There was a copy of the receipt for that, too. But it wasn't from us, it was from the credit union. So that verifies that she's got accounts with them. And yeah, she pretty much has to use cashier's checks for everything - hardly anybody will take checks from her any more.
                            -Mira Furlan

Comment

• Quoth Mental_Mouse View Post
                              What odds the check bounces? Or does she have to use cashier's checks by this point?
                              If that was a property tax payment, chances are, the county used a guaranteed payment, i.e. cashier's check or cash.
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

• Quoth Ghel View Post
                                hardly anybody will take checks from her any more.
                                I'm a little surprised we haven't heard of her employees demanding cashier's checks.
                                Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Working...
                                X