This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some guys have all the luck

About a year ago, I applied to become an operator with my city's transit company. It's a multi phase process where you apply, go to a 200 person information session, phone interview, in person interview. In order to qualify for the in person interview, you have to put in 6 hours on the system observing drivers and make a report of how the job is done. This was my second attempt to get in and again I made it to the final stage, in person interview. I'm not going to say I knocked it out of the park, but I certainly showed that I am capable and suitable for the job. Regardless, the pair of stone faced robots who interviewed me saw things a different way and rejected me.

Okay, life sucks. The fact that interview results are "confidential" and they absolutely refuse to offer any explanation for the rejection piss me off to no end, but life sucks, deal with it.

But here's a guy who ticked every box needed, all the customer service experience, all the driving experience, a good attitude, everything that is needed for the position, and they reject him.

And then we have a few of my coworkers who decided to follow in my footsteps.

One guy, hired on the spot at stage 1, the 200 person information session. He didn't even have to go through all of the other crap, they liked him, they gave him a personal interview, he was employed 2 hours later.

Another, he missed the information session due to a vacation that he had previously planned. Okay, perfectly reasonable, but they are very specific that you cannot miss this information session for any reason. I can't get a phone call answered, a message returned, or an email answered. But he manages to get through and explain his situation. In spite of "no exceptions", he's given a second chance and he's successful. Okay, now he's on to the in person interview. Except he doesn't have a copy of his high school diploma and can't get it in time for his interview, which equals instant rejection, they won't even take you in for the interview. Nope, they are happy with him, he's conditionally hired, he just has to get the copy of his diploma. Before he could do that though, he found another job that he liked even more so he went on to that.

Number 3, this is the one that really irks me. (He's better than I'm about to make him sound). An alcoholic drug addict who rage quit because he was expected to work on his birthday. I don't know how many driving violations he has but I do know there is at least one DUI on there. As well he has multiple citations for log book violations. The DUI is an instant rejection, but I don't know, maybe it was long ago enough that it's no longer appearing, maybe he applied for a pardon. But then there's the log book violations, paperwork is an important aspect of the transit job so if you are showing them that you can't cover this step, you should be instantly rejected. But someway, somehow, he gets the job.

I'm happy for these guys. They are all good guys, even number 3, who in spite of the obvious problems I noted, is still a relatively competent worker. The only thing I want to know is WT F***iddy F***?!? I'm just as good and better than any one of them, and they get a walk through, I'm sent packing. I'm just snake bitten in my career and a lifer with Mickey Mouse Moving.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

I'm going to go with the dreaded "over-qualified," a word I was told many a time back in '07 when my company laid off the entire production plant. Apparently, being an ex-manager disqualifies you from entry-level work, even though entry-level positions were the only positions available in my industry at the time, and over-qualified doesn't put food on the table.

--Dave

Comment

Before I retired I was passed over for a supervisory position 87 times. All I could figure out was that when they were scraping the bottom of the barrel to promote people I wasn't there. And many of the ones they did promote were from the bottom of the barrel.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Any chance it's an age-related thing ... ? Just asking because I'm pretty sure I lost one job because of that ... I'd been working there several weeks, never late, good with customers, till always balanced, and then ... "Sorry, you're just not working out."

Somebody at the employment centre said there are always companies who hire older workers, so their numbers look good, but then let them go as soon as possible.

In any case, I'm sorry to hear about this. That is incredibly frustrating, to jump easily through all the hoops and then hit a wall at the end with no explanation given.
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

One of the theories I tell myself is age discrimination. I'm still young and healthy enough to give a good 20 years, but they might have gone the "what if" route. What if he retires the moment he qualifies for the smallest pension amount. What if his health goes downhill. Completely illegal, but definately something that happens and virtually impossible to prove, they just make up some other excuse.

The over qualified is something I never considered, but it could be a factor. I'm a supervisor and I carry myself as such, it is clear that I am the one in charge. They may have thought that I wouldn't be happy being the one taking the orders and having no authority. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out they completely ignored me telling them that I want to concentrate more on my own duties and not be as concerned about the performance of others.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
            ... they completely ignored me telling them ....
            Maybe they thought you were just saying what they wanted to hear.

Comment

I would go with overqualified. Definitely.

/Highjacking thread.

Years ago, I interviewed for a lab manager position I was interested in. I met with the plant manager along with the head hunter who recruited me. I was pretty sure I aced that interview, but didn't get the job. I called the headhunter to know what I did or didn't do so I could correct it for next time.

His words: "You were the best candidate, but the plant manager doesn't want to hire someone more competent than him."

/End highjack.
              It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

Working...
              X