This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sighting on the bus this morning

I was on my way to the hospital I volunteer at when I saw this exchange on the bus involving a blind man, a hispanic man who probably spoke very little English, & a guy in a wheelchair.

I was sitting up front when the exchange happened.

Blind man with a walking cane got on the bus before the guy in the wheelchair did. Hispanic man was sitting next to the blind man.

Guy in the wheelchair boarded the bus. The blind guy was holding his cane, but it was blocking the aisle so the guy in the wheelchair could not get by. Guy in the wheelchair said "excuse me", & so the blind guy moved his cane a little, but not enough for him to get by. So the hispanic man moved the cane, & the blind guy said "dammit, just let him move past me." The hispanic man did not say anything. The blind man literally sat on the seat with his legs under him, & he had a look on his face.

The wheelchair guy and the blind guy with the walking cane got off at the same busstop.

Another bus passenger watched where the blind guy was going to & he said "he is not even using his walking cane like he is supposed to. He is using it like a cane instead."
    Last edited by snugglegirl05; 07-17-2010, 10:08 PM.

I've seen blind people who have mobility issues, and they have a regular mobility cane as their white cane. (I know a lot of blind people don't use the cane, I'm not sure if it's like Braille, that a lot of them just aren't taught to use one.)

But I thought that pretty much all adults knew that you need to use verbal cues with the blind! Did the guy have that little English? Couldn't the person in the wheelchair have said something? Honestly people, a bit of consideration here!

Comment

Magpie:

Since the hispance literally picked up the blind man's walking cane & did not say anything after what the blind man said when he did that, I am guessing he spoke very little English.

Comment

It's also very possible he's only recently lost his vision, and may not be used to using the cane yet.
        Aliterate : A person who is capable of reading but unwilling to do so.

"A man who does not read has no advantage over a man who cannot" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
        X