This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theatre Group - fun with Boris and Doris

Since this wasn't really a job for me - volunteer work only - I'm putting it in sightings.

I use to be part of a community theatre group that performed on ... whatever military base they would make arrangements for.

When I first got there we had a technical man "Boris" and his girlfriend "Doris".

The first part of price for Boris' technical work (all around handy work, lighting, set work) was that Doris had to have a part in the play. So they usually invented moot roles for her like a non-speaking person in the background, or (in the play I was in) an extra teacher who got to sing in one song.

The second part of the price was hearing Doris explain (often) how her role was pivotal to the play. But we were diplomatic and didn't tell her the truth.

Now the problem - aside from Doris' inflated ego on her miniscule roles - was that Boris was a bit of a jerk to the cast. We couldn't really afford workers, so we did the set work ourselves. I don't remember much, cos my play was the last one they were part of but... I somewhat remember Boris yelling at people a lot, over small stuff.

Even at me. And it wasn't even my fault, not really.

We had been given permission to leave our equipment in the base theatre, in the rooms below, and to put a lock on the door. Boris had put a hasp on the door with some wood screws, but... to be honest I think he did a pretty weak job.

I was working hard, busy, and hadn't realized he'd put a lock on one of the doors from the other side. If I remember the door usually stuck a lot anyway, so I opened it firmly... only to find out that I actually pulled the hasp out of the wood.

As soon as I saw that, I found one of the senior actors (also staff) to find out what to do. I don't remember what she said, but it was pretty much not to worry and they'd take care of it.

The next rehearsal I had to speak to other senior staff - i think even the director - because Boris was claiming that I went down, saw the lock and purposefully RIPPED it from the door. I think he even tried yelling at me himself (I don't remember). Doris too started making snide remarks. I don't remember saying anything back to her... I think at that point, all I said to her was that it was an accident. I don't remember her talking much to me after that. (though i wasn't bothered by the silence really)

In the end however I was not punished.. if anything because I'd reported it as soon as it had happened, i'd obviously been horrified that it had broken off so easily, that i was known for being extra kind to people...

I'm somewhat wondering if that incident was part of the reason why Boris and Doris did not return for the next show. Though considering the other issues (Boris' temper and Doris' requirement for parts) I somewhat wonder if their absence was more of a help than a hinderance. Granted I too was not in the following play because I didn't have the time - but I did make a point of volunteering when it came to building the set and painting - something they always appreciated. :-)

*isn't going to make any jokes about "moose and squirrel..."*

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Wait, Boris locked you IN? He installed a lock on a room you were inside? And you broke out easily not knowing it was there and this was supposed to be your fault?

What would have happened if you hadn't gotten out?
      Women can do anything men can.
      But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
      Maxine

Comment

no, i wasn't locked in. we had access to the rooms below from both sides of the theatre. I had gone down below from one side, and had gone out the other, not realizing he'd put the lock up and had locked the door already.

Comment

Working...
        X