This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Last Subway Rants

I say last because as of March 3rd, 2012 I no longer work there. I was fired, but it was a blessing in disguise. Now I'm freelancing with my art and making money that way. They did me a favor. It was utter hell the entire nearly 6 years I was there. If it wasn't the nasty, vile customers it was the backstabbing and devious management and their games. The only good that ever came from there was meeting my best friend, S in 2008.

I decided to squeeze out a few more rants in memory of that awful place.

SRV8: The final Volume:

1. "What veggies are GOOD on this?"

-This has always boggled my mind. How the fuck am I supposed to know what veggies would taste good on YOUR sandwich? This is your sandwich, not mine. I hate cucumbers but what if you like them? Is it that hard to pick the veggies that you personally like from clearly visible bins directly in front of your face? Another sub-category of this is people asking me what "usually" comes on it? It doesn't USUALLY come with anything. You pick what you like and we put it on. What a concept!

2. People who say they want a cold cut trio but really don't.

-This means as soon as they say they want the cold cut trio, they immediately start demanding that I remove certain offending segments of meat from the cold cut trio meat setup. (note: the cold cut trio is the only sandwich that has the meat already arranged in its own setup, meaning it all comes together in one setup of meat) Don't get pissed when I say that I cannot. Why? Because it's wasting meat. We now cannot use that meat you wanted taken out for anything else and it goes right to the trash. The inventory monkeys (see management) hate waste. Either that, or demand that I substitute one meat for something else. No, that's also not happening. Don't like what comes on the cold cut? DON'T GET THE COLD CUT!

3. "I want double meat on my premium sandwich!!!!!111"

-Not only are you showing how much of a glutton you really are, but double meat is not included in the premiums. Why? Because they already have enough meat on it to feed a 3rd world country for the next 10 years. Haven't you figured out that that's the reason why your sandwich costs the same as getting a nice 3 entree meal at a decent restaurant? Don't get mad when we say we can't do it because we literally can't! It's not even programmed in the computer. It even says in small print that double meat is not included on premium subs. (Philly, Pastrami, Pulled Pork, etc) Go ahead, throw your tantrum. Even if we somehow figured out a way to do it, you'd just get pissed off about your sandwich being over $15 bucks.

4. Text message orders.

-I hate this shit so much. If you have a huge order of sandwiches, what in your right mind thought an efficient way to categorize your order was through a big fat text on your phone? As far as I know, pen and paper still exist. Text orders slow everything down because they are so unorganized. Double rage points to the people who show up and still don't have all of their "orders" texted to them so they have to wait. Fuck that noise. And to think I used to hate lists (mostly because I knew lists = lots of sandwiches), but I'd gladly take a list over a text order version of a list.

5. The Smile on Command police.

-Are you here to order Subway food or are you really here to tell people how they should look at all times? If you want to spend $5-15 bucks on food just to get the satisfaction of telling employees how they should look and feel then that's your prerogative, but I'm not playing. My Aspergers puts me at a massive disadvantage on this because I'm not naturally a smiley person, and when I'm focused or concentrating on something I get a serious look on my face. As long as I'm not being an asshole and am on top of your order just how you want, you have no right to tell me to smile. Smiling on command was not included in my programming and if you don't like it then fuck off. I may be paid to tolerate you for minimum wage but that crosses the line to me.

And on a final note: Hell hath no fury like a woman separated from her precious Mayonnaise.
    My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
    My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

I'm glad you're getting out of that mess!

I never expect anyone working CS to smile. Why? Because I know full well they aren't paid enough to and chances are, management is riding them harder than a derby horse in the final leg.

Also, is it just me or does the person demanding a smile from an employee never smiling themselves? Want a smile, smile yourself, moron. The blasted things are nearly infectious!
    If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Oh my $Diety I just found out from a long conversation with my b/f's family last night that I have the good fortune to work right next to possibly the best Subway store in the city (if not ever ) - they guys & girls are downright awesome; the other customers can suck a bit, or be difficult, but I like to think I make up for that with my awesomeness In the few years they've been open, I've made genuine friends with a lot of peeps that work there - and as I was telling the boyf's family, I suspect the key to their awesomeness is good training, and great managers
      All that said, grats for getting out of there!
      Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
      What's the difference?
      We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
        Also, is it just me or does the person demanding a smile from an employee never smiling themselves? Want a smile, smile yourself, moron.
        It isn't just you. I've had jerks scream insults and vulgarities at me, tell me I'm a useless worthless whore, etc....and then want to know why I'm not smiling!

Congratulations on getting out of there, Tigress, and on your freelance business doing so well. Like the old saying goes, living well is the best revenge.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

4. Text message orders.
          at one of my old navy bases the subway had an awesome sign up:

"Orders over 3 must be faxed in" (or called in i think too).

Comment

I HATE that "smile!" shit. Why do people think they have a right to control what someone else does with their own FACE?!

Glad you're out of there, it sounds horirble.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I've posted many times about the smile thing. I HATE it.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

People demand I smile, I just give them a dirty look (and its always when I'm having a God awful day)

Had a guy one time DEMANDING me to tell him he has a great singing voice. . I told him nope. In my head *I dont flirt with guys my age, what makes you think I'm gonna flirt with you*.

Comment

Freedom

Now you know why I slip into so many of my posts about the stuff I am doing since I lost my full time job. If you don't have too much debt it is amazing how much you come to realize that full-time job limited your life. Hope you get enough commission to pay the bills but not too many to interfere with enjoying life itself.

As for complaint #3, I bet if you did double the meat somehow the sub would be so thick that meat would be dropping out as they bite down and you would get blamed for that too.

Comment

If you see me smiling while waiting on customers (mind, customers that I haven't shared a pleasant conversation or joke with), it's probably because I've been cutting up with the pharmacist(s) and techs in the back, and it probably involved us bitching about or making fun of some of our more 'interesting' customers. It can also be because a dirty thought or conversation I had with someone popped into my head and I couldn't hold back the smile. Either way, it's not good
                    The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Glad you got outta there and I'm happy you have your freelancing biz, Tigress!
                      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Good luck with your new job! I hope it's better than the hell on earth you've been through. You must have a lot of patience to have stayed there for so long. How did you get fired? I'm betting that you finally had enough of some customer or manager and put them in their place, I hope.

Comment

Thank you all for the well wishes for my new endeavor. So far it's going nicely and my online clients are much nicer than the customers I dealt with at Subway. I'm basically making myself available for commissions through both my Fur Affinity and DeviantArt web pages and also taking some from family. It feels really nice not having to be a slave to the system so to speak, and I was lucky to have had a good chunk of money saved up before I was fired. I'm getting about the same (if not more hour for hour) for my artwork.

They were looking for me to slip up as an excuse to get rid of me. As far as my work performance went and reliability, I was the best they had. Extremely fast and efficient and always showed up when I was scheduled to without ever calling in unless I was near death. They didn't like that I went to the beat of my own drum and wouldn't be their puppet. Some customers also had it out for me because in the past I must have breathed wrong or had "bad" body language or something. Customers either loved me or couldn't stand me.

The caught me turning off the open sign 15 minutes before close. Manager pulled in out of nowhere and took picture evidence, yada yada, and the next day they said I was fired. My co worker, V was also fired with me. I had turned them into Labor and Industries in the past and it was basically retaliation for a bunch of things that happened in the past that were no longer even relevant. Owner even mentioned labor and industries during the "You're fired" chat. They tried to get me to sign some bullshit form that stated I quit and I told them to shove it up their ass. If I'm getting fired anyway then what's the point of signing anything.

Exactly a week later, my other co worker and friend, R, quit as well. I was laughing my ass off at the thought of them having to scramble to find and train a new crew. After us 3 left they only had 4 people on schedule.
                          My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
                          My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

Quoth TheTigress View Post

1. "What veggies are GOOD on this?"

-This has always boggled my mind. How the fuck am I supposed to know what veggies would taste good on YOUR sandwich? This is your sandwich, not mine. I hate cucumbers but what if you like them? Is it that hard to pick the veggies that you personally like from clearly visible bins directly in front of your face? Another sub-category of this is people asking me what "usually" comes on it? It doesn't USUALLY come with anything. You pick what you like and we put it on. What a concept!
                            I'm sorry, I have to admit, I've been guilty of this one a few times, mainly because I had never had a "seafood sensation" sub before (I think it's local in my area) and had no clue what was good on it, but I would usually phrase it like "What do people usually get on this? I've never had it before." or something. Sorry!!

Comment

Oh, I love a spy.

Damn. That had to be the time for it to happen, didn't it
                              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Working...
                              X