This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth TheTigress View Post
    Here's some first hand inside info about Subway, especially mine. They prefer hiring girls over guys because of the whole stigma of a "female making sandwiches" and also the fact that they think girls will be less confrontational to both customers and management (aka: easier to manipulate). Our owner was also racist in that he would never hire a black person, even though we had many put in applications. In my nearly 6 years of working there, not a single black person was ever hired during that time.
    Yet another reason I'm sure you're glad you're out of there. You really don't want to work for a sexist/racist. That attitude causes no end of problems, with both customers and potential employees.
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

They prefer hiring girls over guys because of the whole stigma of a "female making sandwiches" and also the fact that they think girls will be less confrontational to both customers and management.
      I worked off and on for years at a mall McD's. Across from the mall entrance was a place called "Cookies Cookin'". The whole time I never saw anything but 16-17 year old girls working there.

I don't think it had anything to do with perceived docility or domestication though. This guy was about 50, drove a black corvette (which he would ONLY park in the fire lane...I think he thought of the numerous parking tickets as some sort of parking fee) and when some of the girls who quit came to work for McD's we heard stories of inappropriate remarks and behavior (a favorite seemed to be rubbing up against a girl while she was serving a customer to "get by" even though there was plenty of room to go past without touching her).
      You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
        You really don't want to work for a sexist/racist.
        At ye olde boutique grocery from back in the early 90's it was quite similar. They only wanted girls as cashiers (even when they had guys like me who were better at it and more accurate than the teeny-boppers/eye candy); guys had to either bag groceries or do stock most of the time. Adults wound up in Deli or meat or the kitchen or wherever. He did hire a racially semi-diverse crew...but most of the more, er, diverse workers wound up in non-frontline jobs, out of the public view.

The place was just one of those small chains owned by wealthy families where they could get away with this garbage. Glad not to be working there any more.
        Last edited by EricKei; 03-25-2012, 04:26 PM. Reason: maybe i should just draft an open letter to the mods that says "pleez fix mai type-ohs"
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

And on a final note: Hell hath no fury like a woman separated from her precious Mayonnaise.
          Lol, that reminds me of what I saw today.

Some older lady was getting her sub, and specified very clearly, "A little mayo on the tomato."

The sandwich artist did so, and she was happy. Never sucky at all, actually. But does she not realize that it all gets smushed together when they close the sandwich?

Comment

I actually was told by a Subway manager that she isn't supposed to hire many guys, so I know this to be very true.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth BuryMe View Post
              Lol, that reminds me of what I saw today.

Some older lady was getting her sub, and specified very clearly, "A little mayo on the tomato."

The sandwich artist did so, and she was happy. Never sucky at all, actually. But does she not realize that it all gets smushed together when they close the sandwich?
              Trust me, they don't, or they don't care. To them it's SERIOUS BUSINESS when the sauces are put on and on what. It boggled my mind for the entire time I was there. I never knew how seriously people take their sandwiches until I got that Subway job.

Quoth blas View Post
              I actually was told by a Subway manager that she isn't supposed to hire many guys, so I know this to be very true.
              Yep. Pretty F'd up, ain't it?
              My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
              My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

The reasoning I was told was a little different than yours, Tigress, but she said that they think girls are cleaner than boys and they don't trust that guys will properly stock everything or clean up decent enough as girls.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Mr Hero View Post
                  I'm kind of guilty of #1. I once ordered a sandwich I've never had before and I asked the worker there what sauce he would recommend. I followed that recommendation and it was delicious!
                  Me, too. The first time I had the steak and cheese in Subway I asked the guy serving what sauce to have with it. He suggested BBQ; I had it with the sandwich and it was yummers. XD I do try to ask in a way that suggests I'm asking cuz I value their expert opinion, rather than in a hectoring fashion, tho.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Working...
                  X