This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photo lab is closed, lady

So on Saturday nights I work an overnight shift starting at 11:30pm to set ad and all that fun stuff. So I go in this past Saturday and there is a woman sitting at the kiosk at the photo center. Was confused but went on with my business, S (the overnight stocker who generally works around that area) seemed to be on top of it.

Now, keep in mind, our photo lab closes at 10pm. There is nobody there to do anything after that.

So it's around midnight thirty and I'm done getting my crap together and go to pull the old ad signs, and I start in the back corner where the photo lab is. I see this lady and her companion still there, and she's cropping and editing her digital files, and I was thinking to myself that if any updates to the kiosks come down, she'll get kicked out and lose her work. So I wander over to S to get the keys for the video game cabinets and get this story:

Lady and her companion have been there since like 9pm. The guy working in photo at the time didn't bother telling her that the lab closed at 10 and she couldn't get anything after that. S comes in at 11 and told her that. He also told her that there was no guarantee that the files would even send to the workdesk. She blatantly ignored him, gave him a bit of lip in the process, and continued. Finally at 2am she finished, and wanted a DVD printed up. Uh, no, she's been told several times by this point.

So now the lady is upset (why, I don't know, she's been told) and starts getting lippy. Interrupts S, tells him to find him someone useful to her that can help her. OK no biggy, he calls D, the night manager. D has already been kept up-to-date on this situation and doesn't take any shit anyway. I <3 D. S said when D came down the aisle to talk to her, she pretty much visibly deflated and changed her tune quite rapidly. See, she was planning on pulling the race card, and D is also black. Even I knew this was going to happen, and wish I had been there for it, actually.

I asked D about it later when I needed him to unlock the iPad case. So this story has been consistently told to me by two people so I feel comfortable enough to share it. I just can't believe she expected to get that DVD after being told several times that the lab was closed. D told her she could get an additional 20% off her order for her time, though I don't know why he did that. He did say that the closing photo guy did NOT tell her that she could not get her stuff after ten, and he should have. So some suckage on the part of the second shift photo guy.

BONUS!!! So since it was unknown if the woman's order would send to the workbench or not, they signed the kiosk to not mess with it. But apparently an update or something came down, and the woman's stuff wasn't saved. So she spent five hours for NOTHING!! D did tell her that the chance was there that her work didn't save, so we're off the hook on that one.

Holy, she spent FIVE hours at one of those little photo kiosk things?

A wonderful amount of dedication spent in all the wrong places

Comment

I dunno about anybody else, but I'd have to have live shots of a dinosaur parade, Jimmy Hoffa doing the macarena with Elvis, and aliens landing on the White House lawn before I spent FIVE HOURS at a photo kiosk. I cannot imagine having that much time to waste on that.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        I dunno about anybody else, but I'd have to have live shots of a dinosaur parade, Jimmy Hoffa doing the macarena with Elvis, and aliens landing on the White House lawn before I spent FIVE HOURS at a photo kiosk. I cannot imagine having that much time to waste on that.
        love it!
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
          Oh you'd be surprised. At my store, I have seen women (why is it always women?) come in and spend 2-3 hours at the kiosk. WITH their newborn in a car seat/carrier screaming its head off (it's hungry or tired, newborns don't have a lot of patience). Lady, I understand your newborn is cuter than all dickens and you want to record this for all posterity, but dang! Perhaps your time would be better spent actually, <shrug> I dunno, taking CARE of said newborn? Especially when you could send the pictures from your computer or phone to our store to print out and pick up????

Comment

The first guy that left really should have told her. How do you miss two people sitting at a kiosk you know won't work after your shift?!? Most people think you just send it off and it gets registered, like you would online. Not always the case, obviously.

Anyway, if I had been told that after spending two hours there, I'd have hurried the hell up to send/save/whatever I could in order to not have lost the time. I certainly wouldn't have stayed there another three hours! Geesh O_O

Comment

Quoth laborcat View Post
              He did say that the closing photo guy did NOT tell her that she could not get her stuff after ten, and he should have. So some suckage on the part of the second shift photo guy.
              I wouldn't be too quick to condem the 2nd shift photo guy. This sounds like exactly the kind of person who when told that she will not have the time to finish her editing and get the CD that she oh so must have tonight would just figure if she stays until she is done and then bitches enough she will get her way. If he told them, they acknowledged it and they didn't complain or anything at the time he might not have thought it important enough to mention to other employees before he left.
              You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2

Oh you'd be surprised. At my store, I have seen women (why is it always women?) come in and spend 2-3 hours at the kiosk. WITH their newborn in a car seat/carrier screaming its head off (it's hungry or tired, newborns don't have a lot of patience). Lady, I understand your newborn is cuter than all dickens and you want to record this for all posterity, but dang! Perhaps your time would be better spent actually, <shrug> I dunno, taking CARE of said newborn? Especially when you could send the pictures from your computer or phone to our store to print out and pick up????
                ^^This. Of course I work for the same company so it's no surprise to me.

We had a lady come print out at least one thousand photos. She spent at least 8 hours in our store at the kiosk. She was all excited cause we had a special and she was making a bunch of scrapbooks or something. And of course she stayed after close one night (we close at 10 and she didn't leave until 10:15 ish) just to get one batch of her photos.
                Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

In my store we either get internet orders or people coming in to do pictures all around 10 pm. Doesn't matter too much since our store is 24 hours so the lab is open. The whole night could be quiet in the lab and the photo person will be working on other things and when they come back to check on the lab there's a bunch of order waiting.
                  I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth dragon_wings View Post
                    ^^This. Of course I work for the same company so it's no surprise to me.

We had a lady come print out at least one thousand photos. She spent at least 8 hours in our store at the kiosk. She was all excited cause we had a special and she was making a bunch of scrapbooks or something. And of course she stayed after close one night (we close at 10 and she didn't leave until 10:15 ish) just to get one batch of her photos.
                    EIGHT HOURS?! That's a full working day for some people! I just...why...huh?
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat

EIGHT HOURS?! That's a full working day for some people! I just...why...huh?
                      I know. And that was over two days I believe. Still utterly ridiculous.
                      Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
                      Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

Quoth Caractacus_Potts View Post
                        I wouldn't be too quick to condem the 2nd shift photo guy. This sounds like exactly the kind of person who when told that she will not have the time to finish her editing and get the CD that she oh so must have tonight would just figure if she stays until she is done and then bitches enough she will get her way. If he told them, they acknowledged it and they didn't complain or anything at the time he might not have thought it important enough to mention to other employees before he left.
                        I'm thinking this might actually be the case here. Our second shifters are younger men with softer personalities than S has. They may have well told this lady that it wouldn't work after ten. I was talking to the regular first shift photo guy E and E said that all the kiosks were due for updating that night so... LOL I can totally see this woman, when told that she had to hurry up and finish, going off in their faces.

Comment

Question, how much does it cost to print 1,000 photos?

The Epson printer I bought for my Mom only costed $39.95 new, and the inks that came with it still have not ran out despite the fact that I must have printed well over 300 pictures for her. Even the photo paper was not that bad since I bought it on special (but I don't remember how much but it was less than $30).

With very little work in MSpaint it is possible to fit 4-10 photos onto a single sheet of photo paper and then cut them out later.
                          Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 03-21-2012, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                            With very little work in MSpaint it is possible to fit 4-10 photos onto a single sheet of photo paper and then cut them out later.
                            Some printers can even do it for you from within Windows. Then again, that may be something that Windows 7 itself is doing, not sure.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                              Question, how much does it cost to print 1,000 photos?

The Epson printer I bought for my Mom only costed $39.95 new, and the inks that came with it still have not ran out despite the fact that I must have printed well over 300 pictures for her. Even the photo paper was not that bad since I bought it on special (but I don't remember how much but it was less than $30).

At my store, it depends. The normal price is $0.15 for anything over 50, but we do an in-store special one day a week that is $0.10 per print. So, for 1000, on an in-store special day, they would pay $100. Not sure how that would compare against your scenario, but you'd also have to consider time involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X