Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will be mocked forever for this one!

(New comp, new browser, new server, forgotten password and new email. Hence my new name, which is the same as the old one!!!)

So, I was interviewing a 19 year old man-child who was very open and willing to tell me anything I wanted to know, but didn't know how to tell his story.

He had been released from jail yesterday and was on probation, but not for a drug related felony (in AZ, they still are disqualifying factors for food stamps unless the felon received substance abuse treatment after the offense.), but he did offer up the information that he had a drug felony a year ago. No jail time, no probation, or anything.

That doesn't sound like a felony to me, so I started questioning him further while looking him up in public records. He had been released from jail and was on probation for violating his terms of probation (because his probation officer was a jerk and he stopped going).

That probation was for breaking and entering (but it wasn't really breaking because his 16 year old girlfriend let him in through the window and her father caught them). When I asked if they were still together, he said no, he had broken up with her and learned his lesson: Sheriff's daughters were just too much trouble.

I did find a mj conviction while he was a minor, but only found a paraphernalia misdemeanor charge (I still had to find out if he was a drug felon) and asked him about that. He told me that it was his felony and that he knew the date because it was exactly 5 days after his 18th birthday.

That's when I called him a dumbass without putting him on mute. When my cube neighbors gasped, I told him that I was sorry, and probably shouldn't have said that, but he was all Yeah, I know, you are right, things are much different when you are 18.

Cube neighbor to my left was laughing so hard one of the sups came over to find out what was going on, and everyone just said things like "oh, you know Slave, always entertaining and joking with her customers", but word spread through the office faster than chocolate.

Being terrified of pregnant women in labor is NOTHING compared to getting away with calling a client a dumbass to their face and being agreed with.

I am now LEGEND!!!

All bow down to the legend.

Can I be you when I grow up?
    A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

But did you FIND the record?

Comment

I did a number of dumb things at 18, but I also knew the moment I turned 18 the book could be thrown at me if I was caught doing something illegal.

This person is a dumb ass.

PS. The sheriff daughter would have to be smoking hot to hook up with her, but sneaking into the same house while her dad is there - DUMBASS!

Comment

I have to ask: is this typical?
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

There was no felony conviction. He was just a dumbass who didn't pay attention in court. That is not uncommon, over half of the people who tell me that they have felony convictions don't. The original charges were felonies, but the charges were dropped to misdemeanor charges with a slap on the hand.

Felonies are a little more memorial.

As to if this is typical...not these circumstances, but some of the people I talk to make some incredibly bad decisions.

I only mock those who deserve it, though. Many of our clients come for help due to life taking a huge dump on the, others are just dumbasses.

Me: So why did you quit your job?
            C: Because all of the sups left 5 minutes early.
            Me: so you couldn't do your work without one?
            C: NO! I didn't need them around, it was just unfair that they got to leave early and I didn't.
            ME: was there any other reason you quit?
            C: No, I just refuse to work somewhere so unfair.

Internally: So, someone else was able to sneak out 5 minutes early so you quit your job. Now you have no job, no money and are going to be sanctioned for a month for quitting without good cause. Good choice!

Oh, the part I forgot to mention was that the man-child I was interviewing was wearing socks with those shower shoes with just a strap over the foot. He had them on the wrong feet.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Headset View Post
              ... He had them on the wrong feet.
              Mommy didn't dress you this morning. Right Dearie?
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

So, someone else was able to sneak out 5 minutes early so you quit your job. Now you have no job, no money and are going to be sanctioned for a month for quitting without good cause.
                File under: WAIT!! YOU ADMIT THAT?!
                Oh, the part I forgot to mention was that the man-child I was interviewing was wearing socks with those shower shoes with just a strap over the foot. He had them on the wrong feet.
                Was he high? Or could you tell?
                I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
                  File under: WAIT!! YOU ADMIT THAT?!
                  Oh, please. In her mind it was totally justified and I should just agree because it was SOOOOOOOO unfair. I'm quite sure that all of her friends agreed with her, so why would she think that someone who actually has kept a job for longer than a year wouldn't understand her decision?

This is very common. I hear all kinds of reasons to quit jobs, and most of them are lame enough to cause the 1 month sanction.

(If someone had to quit because of lack of affordable child care, that is a good reason to me. Child care is crazy expensive. Lack of transportation is also a good reason, we don't have reliable public transportation and nobody can be reasonably expected to walk miles in the heat to get to work. Pregnant in the 3rd trimester works, but don't quit your job because you think you might be pregnant. I really am not as mean as I sound, but quitting a night job because you didn't like staying up that late is NOT a good reason to quit.)

Was he high? Or could you tell?
                  I am fortunate enough to work in a phone kiosk office. The only time I have to see my client is to get a signature and copy documents. I don't linger and talk. I point where I want them to sign, copy their stuff and run back behind locked doors to finish their case.

Its very possible he was high. Personally, I think he just too self absorbed to actually look at himself in a mirror before he left home. He was such a fabulous creature that he always looked amazing, and he didn't need a mirror to tell him so.

Comment

Hurray, MadMike saved me!!! (and kicked that imposter out, LOL!) Thank you so much MadMike!

Comment

To back up Slave... Yes. Yes. Yes people actually say these things when they apply for benefits. Yes, they quit jobs because it is "unfair" and then wonder why their are consequences for their actions. I would say that you would be amazed at what you hear, but frankly, after about a month, you would no longer be amazed. You would shake your head in sadness and move on to the next call only to hear something equally disturbing

Comment

Working...
                      X