Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The laws apply to everyone lady, even you!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The laws apply to everyone lady, even you!

As usual I'm behind the customer service desk when some 12 year old girl comes up and starts telling me what lotto tickets her mom wants her to get, reading it off a list. Not that it matters, but just to clarify its the actual lotto draw tickets not the scratch and win.

Of course I have to give the standard line.

Me: "I'm sorry. We can't sell to people under 19."

Girl: "But my mom's just over there *points*"

Me: "I'm sorry but it's the law. I can't go to jail, I'm too pretty." *referance completely lost on kid. Probably a good thing*

Mom: *who has finished paying for groceries at actual till* "Why haven't you printed the tickets yet. My daughter has the list, I wrote it down so she wouldn't forget *que bitchy tone*. I know she must have told you what I am getting. We were supposed to be done by now. *breath*

Me: "I'm sorry ma'am, but legally I cannot hand your underage daughter lotto tickets. It's against the law."

Mom: "But I was right there! You know the tickets were for me anyway!"

Me: "It doesn't matter legally what I know. Only what physically happens. Passing a minor lotto tickets after allowing a minor to buy them is against the federal laws in this country. Because your daughter is so young I would likely face jail time, a large fine, and I would definitely lose my job."

Mom: "But they're for me!? Me!"

Me: *points at very obviously placed camera.* "But the cameras would only see a lotto retailer selling lotto tickets to a very obvious minor."

Mom: "Well, who really checks those things anyway."

Me: *Page, WIC to FE CS desk*

The stupid it overwhelms me. I can't even grasp how she thought that I would just cave.
    Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

"Howabout this? I'll just call the cops now and have you taken down to the station, your daughter taken away from you, and we can just forget about this whole thing, eh?"

Comment

unlike you I'm not going to bet my job on the chances that are less likely of being hit with lightning generated from a storm from a unicorn fart.
      AkaiKitsune
      Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
        Mom: "But they're for me!? Me!"
        Then buy them yourself.

Comment

It's like people who bring their kids to a bar, and send them up to the bar to order their drinks for them. Sorry, but it's not "cute" to allow Little Billy to order your booze and bring it to you...it's ILLEGAL.

Comment

When I worked at the gas station I got crap like this enough for age restricted items (lotto, tobacco, and alcohol).

NOPE not gonna lose my job, be fined mega $$$'s and possibly jailed for you.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

My mum did try this with me when I was younger - she sent me to the newsagency (as a 15-year-old) to either buy or cash in her weekly lotto tickets (can't remember which) along with some other errands.

Cue my mother being one of THOSE folks who rings up to complain afterwards and then being told what the actual law is. -_-

Comment

When I was younger, I was one of those kids too. 10-15 years old, I'd be told to run into the local Irving or whatever convenience store we were at, and pick up a pack of smokes and/or some lotto tix.

Of course this was a small NB town where everyone knew everyone so they knew who it was for. And I suspect most workers didn't care about any age restrictions. (Don't think I ever ran into the liquor store though I think I did shop with mom and dad occasionally; they weren't really big drinkers anyway).

I also started playing Bingo at a local rec hall when I was in my early teens... and was calling Bingo by my mid teens. Between mom, dad and me, I was the first to start playing or calling Bingo, then mom started playing, and dad took over calling when I graduated, and was snapped up as a caller when the local tribe opened their own Bingo hall.

Nowadays, the town is bigger, and age restrictions are more strictly enforced, so what I did back then wouldn't happen any more. (This was back in the early 90's)

Comment

Teenager

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                  It's like people who bring their kids to a bar, and send them up to the bar to order their drinks for them. Sorry, but it's not "cute" to allow Little Billy to order your booze and bring it to you...it's ILLEGAL.
                  And if they are a teenager, odds are good that not the same amount reaches the adult that the bar poured out.
                  Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 07-16-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

When I was a kid, before smoking was considered a big deal, it was very common for parents to send kids (not just teens, much younger kids as well) to buy cigarettes. Mom would write a note to the shopkeeper, hand you a few dollars, and send you off.

Comment

My mother did that to me in the 1960's, when I was around 10. I don't remember when it started, and we moved from that neighborhood after I turned 13, so I was pretty damned young when that happened. Once I hit high school I refused to do it anymore, so that was that. I got in trouble for being a surly teen fairly often, so nothing new there...

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                        My mum did try this with me when I was younger - she sent me to the newsagency (as a 15-year-old) to either buy or cash in her weekly lotto tickets (can't remember which) along with some other errands.

Cue my mother being one of THOSE folks who rings up to complain afterwards and then being told what the actual law is. -_-
                        My mother used to try and send me in to buy her cigarettes, and then she'd yell at ME when they refused.
                        Yes folks, there's a reason why I'm so screwed up these days.

Comment

Quoth nutraxfornerves View Post
                          When I was a kid, before smoking was considered a big deal, it was very common for parents to send kids (not just teens, much younger kids as well) to buy cigarettes. Mom would write a note to the shopkeeper, hand you a few dollars, and send you off.
                          Quoth Jetfire View Post
                          When I was younger, I was one of those kids too. 10-15 years old, I'd be told to run into the local Irving or whatever convenience store we were at, and pick up a pack of smokes and/or some lotto tix.
                          I am a child of the 1960's. Even though I lived in a mostly major central mid-western city my area of the city sometimes had the feel of a smaller town. my area had corner bar/pubs, the corner drug store, the locally owned barber shop, bakery, chair place, printer, professional photo and photo supply place, etc.. We also had the corner Mom & Pop corner grocery store and meat shop. and they even did credit. Occasionally my Mother would sent me down to the grocery store to buy her cigarettes. The cashier and the owners knew my family and me so no age restriction there way back then. This was a "looser more layed back" time for certain things.

Now-a-days LOL yeah not happening.
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Not long after I got my license, my dad regularly sent me to pick up his pipe tobacco. He had a special blend and a line of credit at that shop.
                            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I was walking into the grocery store (or convenience store) when I was a teenager and buying my own cigarettes. I'd simply ask the clerk for the brand and style I wanted, hand over cash and they'd hand over the smokes. Not one person ever asked for ID. Only time my Mom would buy them for me would be when she'd go to the grocery store for weekly groceries and would pick up a carton for me. My Dad did this for me one time and stopped b/c my stepmom complained about it saying that if I was old enough to smoke, I was old enough to go to work and pay for them.

No worries, Mom assured her. She'd make sure I had my smokes before I left her house on Friday evening to come to their house. And yes, since I did help take care of the house while Mom worked (in addition to going to high school 5 days a week) and helping with my younger brother, I was in fact working.

Of course, by the time the We ID program started in the 90's, I was already well into my 20's and working in a grocery store, so everyone knew I was old enough for not only smokes, but also wine.
                              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Working...
                              X