This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is who you hired?

I get an email, a large multi-national corporation is looking for a furniture installation project manager and my profile matched the job description. I check things out and I'm above and beyond for some aspects and in the ballpark for the rest, so I go for it. I get contacted and get an interview. (A difficult process because I was working 80 hour weeks at the time).

As things turn out, it's actually a client that I regularly do business with. They are a furniture dealer, and we handle some of the jobs that their own crew can't do. Something that worked as both an advantage and disadvantage to me.

The interview went well enough. It was a management position where I would basically be doing nothing, but overseeing and being responsible for everything. They were impressed with my product knowledge and attention to detail, particularly when I noted an installation error on their front reception desk, that's just what I do, I know how it's supposed to be done and I see when it isn't done that way. I stumbled a bit when they asked for criticisms about me. (I was pissed at myself for not better preparing myself for this standard question). I talked about how some co-workers don't like me, but stressed how it is only the lazy incompetents that have this problem; good workers, and customers love me and demand that I be the one in charge. They seemed to focus more on the "doesn't play well with others" aspect of it though. From there we focused on the costing aspect of the job. I let them know that I'm a straight shooter, I am not going to lie to them here. I don't have a lot of experience in this aspect, but I have been doing it once in a while for the past couple of years, and have been very accurate with my time and manpower estimates. They said that they have training and support to help me through the learning curve but I think I undersold myself too much here.

So this went well enough. They will discuss things and still have some other candidates to go through, they will get back to me. Of course he did throw a shot in about how difficult it was to get a hold of me. I didn't think anything of it at the time but I suppose it was a kiss of death.

So it was what it was. I didn't get the job. The fact that they didn't have the balls to contact me with a "no" chapped my ass but whatever, water under the bridge. They went with the "better" candidate.

A few weeks pass and I'm on the job for this client. As usual, my plans are shit, things aren't properly organized, just another day in paradise with Mickey Mouse Moving. Things could have been better, and would have been better if I was the guy setting things up as I know where the difficulties are and where the corrections are needed, but fine, the status quo has been working for decades, I can work with it. We complete things and it all looks great, but as usual, both the dealer and the final end user client aren't on site to check out our completed work. I'm thoroughly unimpressed that the dealer didn't show up as being on site was one of the aspects that they stressed to me in the interview, but geez, there's one of my negatives coming through again - having a problem with lazy incompetents.

So the next day comes and the end user client checks things out. They are not happy. Some of the panels are unstable (when people are dumb enough to grab them and reef on them). They are installed properly to manufacturer's specs, but there is an optional bracket that was not installed. This part was not listed on the plans and there was nothing on the packing slip, I had no reason to believe that this optional part was required.

I talk to the dealer about it and I get pretty technical with things. His product knowledge is beyond sub-par, he knows nothing. He has heard of the word "bracket" before, but literally asks me if I'm speaking english when I mention the ped to panel bracket. This is a guy who is supposed to be able to walk in and see any installation error, he is supposed to know how everything is supposed to be done, and he can't even name the most basic of parts, let alone knowing how they are to be installed. AND THIS IS THE JACKASS THAT THEY CHOSE OVER ME!?!

I suppose they were more concerned with the costing and quoting aspect and he sold himself better there, but when a required skill is installation knowledge and he has none.... WTF!?!
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Guessing the guy who got hired was either a close friend or relative of the guy doing the hiring.
    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
      Guessing the guy who got hired was either a close friend or relative of the guy doing the hiring.
      Usually the way. They know who they want to hire, but they have to advertise externally due to some clause in the contracts.
      "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
        I vote for cheaper. He was the cheapest candidate.

Comment

Could have been my age and generation. I'm a clean cut, suit and tie, business attire guy. The guy they hired had the douchebag hipster look going. Maybe they wanted to appeal to a newer generation.

Could have been my attitude. There were two of them interviewing me and one was a client that I regularly work with, and I am not shy about telling them they fucked up and how to fix it. Professionally of course, but firm. I thought the fact that I saved his ass on multiple occasions would work in my favour, but revisionist history could have changed the true story.

Could be that he called my boss for a reference and my boss begged him not to take me away.
          D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
          Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Comment

I feel your pain, man. It sucks bawls when you interview for the perfect job, you know you'd be the absolute best person to do it, and they hire someone who is, well, less than suited. Been there myself. It's been a couple years since and I'm still salty about it.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
              I feel your pain, man. It sucks bawls when you interview for the perfect job, you know you'd be the absolute best person to do it, and they hire someone who is, well, less than suited. Been there myself. It's been a couple years since and I'm still salty about it.
              I had this same thing happen many moons ago when I was white collar.

interviewed with HR person doing the screening. Interview goes well. Send out snail mail thank you letter (25 years ago or so) and move on. about 2 weeks later I get a call from HR guy and the President of the company want to interview me. COOL

I do the interview and all goes really well. Pres. likes me and my qualifications and wants to hire me and specifically says so. BUT he has to clear it with someone else. COOL and since I have been unemployed for a while this is good news. Send Thank you letter and wait. and wait.

2 weeks later I get a call from NOT the Pres. NOT the HR guy but someone else unknown to me informing me I did not get the job. ME is very pissed off.

Call the HR guy the next day. Oh Sorry he is on vacation this week. OK wait the week and call again. I reach HR guy and sort of politely chew him out for the unprofessional behavior of Pres. Something along the lines of If this is how you treat prospective employees I now wonder how you treat your employees, Pres.'s supposed "enthusiasm" toward me, and Pres's obviously false statements of YUP I am going to hire you.
              Last edited by Racket_Man; 07-18-2018, 03:53 AM.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth ladyjaneinmd View Post
                I vote for cheaper. He was the cheapest candidate.
                This, yes, most likely. I've discovered that 'lowest bidder' beats many other factors when considering an applicant. Factors like competence, experience, skill, intelligence, a pulse....

Comment

I once got passed over for a job, and when I saw the ad in the newspaper a few months later, I called the company and asked why.
                  She said, 'They didn't work out'.
                  I said, 'Well, if you'd hired ME, I'd still be there!'

That was about the time I realized that I was blackballed in that city. I moved 400 miles away and had no problems getting a job.

Comment

Or they combine your position with another one, so you have to apply for the 'new' job in order to stay where you are... and you don't even get to interview... and then they get you to train the person who got it... and they're completely useless.

On the plus side, I got a new job fairly quickly (thank you, policies about relocating employees who lost their jobs through reorganisations instead of just flinging them out into the cold) and after that I could just think, "Welp, it's out of my hands now. They chose her; they'll work out the difference soon enough."

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post

Could be that he called my boss for a reference and my boss begged him not to take me away.
                      YOUR Boss??!

If they bothered to call him, he sold you as a serial layabout who has pictures of the owner (not him) in compromising positions..
                      You hold power over me and abuse it. I do not like it, and say so. Suddenly I am a problem.. FIND. A. MIRROR!

Comment

Working...
                      X