X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Can't Talk when You're Shouting

Here's another automobile call center story:

Lady calls in about a repair dispute with her local repair shop. She’s yelling and screaming the second I pick up the phone. Every attempt to communicate with her fails as she shouts me down although I do manage to give her my direct phone number to get in contact with me (company policy). Finally, I state that I need her to keep this at a professional level and if she cannot, I will put her on hold (we’re not allowed to hang up. Only supervisors can hang up on customers). She screams some more, I put her on hold and call for a supervisor. As I’m explaining the situation, I notice that she has hung up. Fine with me. But, she calls back, like one minute later.

Again I pick up and again she starts screaming from the get go. Now she’s pissed that I put her on hold. I again tell her that I need her to calm down before we can help her and if she won’t, I will put her on hold again. Her reply? Scream, scream, scream. I put her on hold. This time I actually manage to get a supervisor on the phone. He puts on the headset and I listen in on the handset. She starts out by telling him how rude I was to put her on hold. She is, after all “allowed to yell at customer service people when I’m upset.” (At this point I’m like WTH? Allowed! by whom?) The supervisor tells her that we need her to remain professional if we are to help her with her problem. She then starts complaining about how she doesn’t have to because I was unprofessional first. She demands I be fired because I laughed at her and called her an idiot. (At no point did I laugh or call names. I was absolutely furious and found nothing in this “conversation” humorous. My supervisor actually had heard all of the second call and knew this). The call ends with her demanding to have a new service rep handle her call.

Next thing I know, my phone is ringing again. I pick it up and it’s her again. She starts in with her problem all polite and starts saying how she just wants a new rep to handle her call because the previous rep (me) wasn’t very helpful—then she starts badmouthing her previous rep (yup, me). I realize that she thinks she’s gotten some anonymous rep. I quickly tell her who I am and that I am perfectly aware of her problem. She immediately reverts to Screaming Woman and asks why the hell I answered the phone when she doesn’t want to speak with me. I answer by telling her that she called my direct number and that if she continues to call that number, I will always be the one answering it. She seems to be confused into silence by this answer and hangs up, never to be heard from again…by me anyway.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

Quoth flybye023 View Post
    Next thing I know, my phone is ringing again. I pick it up and it’s her again. She starts in with her problem all polite and starts saying how she just wants a new rep to handle her call because the previous rep (me) wasn’t very helpful—then she starts badmouthing her previous rep (yup, me).
    It doesn't happen very often, but I LOVE when customers do that. Especially, when I wait until the end of the call to let them in on the fact that I AM the person they previously spoke with.

For some reason the loudest shouters can become super polite when transferred to either a lead or supervisor, dropping all hostility, even though their situation hasn't changed. It's odd behavior.

I heard a fellow lead that they were actually "Disconnecting a call", because the persons behavior was beyond acceptable behavior.

I thought it was classic that he told the customer he was hanging up, rather than just hanging up.
    Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

Quoth LifeCarnie View Post

I heard a fellow lead that they were actually "Disconnecting a call", because the persons behavior was beyond acceptable behavior.

I thought it was classic that he told the customer he was hanging up, rather than just hanging up.
      I do that too, I tell them that I will release the call if they do not act in a professional manner.
      If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

It doesn't happen very often, but I LOVE when customers do that. Especially, when I wait until the end of the call to let them in on the fact that I AM the person they previously spoke with.
        I got to do that once at the grocery store. I went over and assisted a cashier with a problem customer. The customer called back to speak with the MOD. The call got transferred over to me and the lady started off with the cashier being rude and "the guy who came over was just as rude". I told her that I was the one who assisted the cashier. Customer got very quiet, stammered a bit and hung up. :-p

Thank you for reminding me of this story, I may go post about it later.
        Answers are easy...it is asking the right questions which is hard.

Comment

Especially, when I wait until the end of the call to let them in on the fact that I AM the person they previously spoke with.
          Hell, I just keep leading them on (did that when a customer was complaining about the CSR in the previous call, the person was ME and I was the assistant manager at the time). I was kind of enjoying it, the customer was nice enough to me (the second time, because they knew they were speaking with a manager - but apparently didn't recognize my voice). I told them "oh, I'll have a talk with them" - which made the customer feel better...
          This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Working...
          X