This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many personalities do you have?

I made a call yesterday and asked for the person I was looking for. The woman who answered told me he wasn't in. I asked if I could leave a message, a male voice says "If you want". Uhh? Okay, so I leave the message and told them to have a nice night. Another male voice says "You too, baby".

I, and the girl listening to my calls (she was training) know we didn't hear another phone picked up nor did we hear the phone being passed around. We both agreed it had to be the same person.

I made the joke about talking to Sybil, but the girl I was training had no idea who that was. Oh well.

Plus, just a note here, I know I have a very young sounding voice, that doesn't give anyone the right to call me pet names, mmkay? Only one person is allowed to call me baby, I don't talk to him till after work. He isn't you, got it?
    Last edited by Misanthropical; 01-23-2008, 12:36 PM.
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Even my boyfriend of 2 1/2 years doesn't call me baby. Ick

Had a customer call me baby, and my manager laughed his ass off at the look I gave the guys back.
    6/16/2008: Best. Day. Ever.

Things I've Learned: Birth is not a miracle, it's a science, and science is damned disgusting. It's also really, really, cool.

Comment

I've been known to call store workers sugar, honey, sweetpea, etc. when I was distracted. In my defense, I have a lot of relatives, and when they all get together it can be so chaotic I forget my own name. So I've adapted by using pet names anytime I can't think of one's name. Still, it is funny to get a weird look from the cashier and have to rewind my memory to know why. Even funnier if I have a kid in tow who comments on it loudly. One memorable instance: "Syl, are you dating that girl?"

Which is not to say I think it was appropriate in this instance. I think a deep voice over the phone is a different, creepier vibe than a frazzled woman with small children.
      "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - George Patton

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Sylvia727, I don't mind old Southern ladies calling me pet names or even a frazzled woman.

It's creepy guys and people trying to be patronizing that bother me.

Comment

Have you considered the possibility that you may have been on speakerphone?

Also, I must say I'm also occasionally guilty of this. I'm really sorry if I offend anyone, it's just that when I don't notice your name on the tag I feel obligated to say something. Sorry about that, it comes from my mother's family, where you have to at least make some acknowledgment of the person you are talking to unless you want an answer from all 31 of them at once. I'm really sorry if the 17 year old white kid who bought a burger from you creeped you out! I didn't mean it!
          "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Shards, most people can tell when they are on speaker phone and we knew we weren't on speaker phone.

In my family we all have pet names that are used, which makes me wonder if we have all forgotten what our proper names are!

Comment

Quoth Sylvia727 View Post
              I've been known to call store workers sugar, honey, sweetpea,
              I would say, "So you're that person!"

..but I seem to only get it from much older men who usually have their wives/girlfriends/whatevers and/or kids in tow.
              Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

There is only one word I use for a woman, whom I am not friends with, who I am talking to.

That word is Ma'am

I don't care if she is 16 or 66, she gets ma'am'ed

Comment

the only people I have ever called babe or baby are my kids, my husband, and I used to call my little brother babe.

This cause a bit of confusion when my brother was on leave from the military last he was visting my family and I said to my husband "Babe, do you want anything to drink?" and to my surprise my brother replied "Sure Iwould love a Coke." We all had a laugh after when I admitted that I was asking my husband and not him, I had forgotten about calling him babe for years.

Comment

I get called pet-names all the time. It doesn't help that I'm a tiny little femmie-looking thing (I can't help that I took after my mother). Got used to it. I had this great BIG TALL guy walk into my store, ask me a question staring with "Baby" and then promptly called his 4 year old son that.

Dunno why, but I liked that.

But if I get called "cute chick" one more time I'm going to shove my scarf down their throat.
                    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

My husband his horrible with this. He calls everyone honey or sweetie. It used to annoy me to no end, but after a few years I got used to it.
                      Although he doesn't do it much anymore. Not since Christmas when his ex-wife spent the holiday with us at his aunts. He accidentally called her honey, when he asked her for one of the cans of pepsi she brought. Should have seen the looks we both gave him. I think that if we could. we would both have killed him then and there.

Comment

Working...
                      X