X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope this is just a troll...

http://nangbaby.com/post/86155385443...r-moon-boycott

Comment

Nangbaby is...here's the thing. She's probably the most die-hard fan of the '90s dub ever. Of course, that isn't a bad thing in and of itself. I used to love the dub as well until I was introduced to the subs. One of my best IRL friends only knows the dub and loves it. However, what's off-putting are her posts about it (i.e. that boycott) and her responses to people who don't think that the dub is the Best Thing Ever.

What I've been able to make sense of her posts, though, she believes that English dubs of anime should all be Westernized because apparently English-speaking audiences can't handle names and concepts from non-English-speaking countries, that using the original Japanese names and customs in a dub is cultural appropriation, and that anyone who dislikes the '90s dub is wrong and horrible (especially if those people are Naoko Takeuchi).
      Last edited by firecat88; 05-21-2014, 03:49 PM.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Ft3viBgtQ

Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh.
        "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
          Nangbaby is...here's the thing. She's probably the most die-hard fan of the '90s dub ever. Of course, that isn't a bad thing in and of itself. I used to love the dub as well until I was introduced to the subs. One of my best IRL friends only knows the dub and loves it. However, what's off-putting are her posts about it (i.e. that boycott) and her responses to people who don't think that the dub is the Best Thing Ever.

What I've been able to make sense of her posts, though, she believes that English dubs of anime should all be Westernized because apparently English-speaking audiences can't handle names and concepts from non-English-speaking countries, that using the original Japanese names and customs in a dub is cultural appropriation, and that anyone who dislikes the '90s dub is wrong and horrible (especially if those people are Naoko Takeuchi).
          i love the western dub i really do up until they introduced Uranus and Neptune.
          at which time i was an adorable little ball of angst and confusion dealing with my own being a gay thing only to see two girl in a cartoon i loved whose actions where obviously affectionate to each other in a more than family way yet claim to be cousins and not gay... which broke my heart.

so as much as a love the origanal dub and nothing can change my glee over seeing it and as much as i really really really hate the names Usagi and Chibi Usa.... the new dub will be better. as long as they dont use someone with the same high pitched annoying voice the japanese one uses..... ive watched most of the subs her voice has scarred me.

Comment

Firecat beat me, but my sentiment is the same. Along with SAO 2, this is my most anticipated anime series for the summer.

I too grew up on the 90s version, and even gave a guy a black eye for calling it a shitty excuse for anime. But I loved having the original uncut version when Pioneer released it. I'm also happy that I can finally see Sailor Stars. Rewatching it reminds me that even though Usagi is a crybaby, she does grow. She learns all those valuable lessons and had really good friends.

I can't wait. Hurry up already!
            Random conversation:
            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
              at which time i was an adorable little ball of angst and confusion dealing with my own being a gay thing only to see two girl in a cartoon i loved whose actions where obviously affectionate to each other in a more than family way yet claim to be cousins and not gay... which broke my heart.
              Blame bad dubbing and bad cuts to that one! Sailor Moon Uncensored sums it up best.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                There's a lot that I actually do love about the English dub as well (with the exception of Luna and Naru/Molly, I kind of adore the voice cast of the first two seasons), and I will forever be grateful for its existence during the year of me being in and out of the hospital for three months, but their choice to make Uranus and Neptune related always was weird to me too. And, like you said, it is indeed because, despite how chop-happy they were with other things, they couldn't be arsed to remove any of the affectionate scenes.

Quoth fireheart View Post
                Blame bad dubbing and bad cuts to that one!
                All of this. Especially on part of the script writers who constantly felt the need to throw in a 'they're cousins' line every other episode. If memory serves, even the freaking villains somehow seemed to be aware of this and blurted out references to it.

Comment

And some sad related news...

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...8pp8Zj5gCfI.01

Comment

Quoth firecat88 View Post
                    All of this. Especially on part of the script writers who constantly felt the need to throw in a 'they're cousins' line every other episode. If memory serves, even the freaking villains somehow seemed to be aware of this and blurted out references to it.
                    They were determined to cut out homosexuality, but failed to cut out various "Getting Crap Past The Radar" moments, like the one I showed earlier. They did wind up keeping in one instance of nudity that would've normally been cut, but that was because it was of the daimon they were fighting that episode. For reference:

Sailor Moon S was hit HARD with this actually, as the Daimon Stars were often in uh....risque places.

Comment

Animage and Animedia Magazines both had their own articles about the new show in their newest editions. Animage even has a little teaser sketch of Mamoru on theirs.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                        Along with SAO 2, this is my most anticipated anime series for the summer.
                        Along with SAO 2
                        SAO 2
                        I'm fresh off an anime convention so allow me to go full otaku:

ಠ_ಠ
                        Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

http://simplysailormoon.tumblr.com/p...nime-expo-2014

http://www.viz.com/node/1006124

Not for the first time, I wish I lived in California. @_@ At Anime Expo this year, Viz Media will be having a huge Sailor Moon-related event on July 5th (the day of the premiere of the new anime).

~ Introducing the cast of the redub
                          ~ Photo and autograph sessions with said cast
                          ~ A special premiere of the first two episodes *of* the redub.

Also, people who attend the panel get a poster autographed by the new cast.

Comment

Quoth otakuneko View Post
                            I'm fresh off an anime convention so allow me to go full otaku:

ಠ_ಠ
                            Not sure if that's good or bad, but yes. I'm very picky about my anime. I loved SAO, even though no one warned me of the feels. The feels. OMG the feels.

I'm also working my way through Blue Exorcist, and I have yet to tell DaDairyDruid, but knowing him he probably already knows about High School DxD 3rd season.

And...to add some squeeaage:

Jupiter looks like she's missing her legs because the stand that holds her up broke while it she was being put together.

We've already ordered a display box of the outer senshi that comes out in August (blind boxes, 2 variants) and a display box of the inner senshi in their everyday clothes (blind boxes, 2 variants).
                            Last edited by fma_fanatic; 06-19-2014, 01:19 AM.
                            Random conversation:
                            Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                            DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Another pan of the new Sailor Moon...

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/474639215834443776

<kinda wants toast now>

Comment

Quoth Chanlin View Post
                                Every female part will be divvied up between Colleen Clinkenbeard, Monica Rial, and Laura Bailey

Crispin Freeman will be all the male parts with Tuxedo Mask going to Johnny Yong Bosch

*edit to add* Steve Blum will inevitably given the part that requires the most emotional range
                                I reckon Luci Christian would be great for the voice of Sailor Venus (I keep hearing Asuna's voice in my head). Or she could do Sailor Moon if she redid her Honey-sempai voice

Comment

Working...
                                X