This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you the uniform monitor?

I was cashiering when a man in his 50s (it's always them!) came up and was waving up a woman with him. As he was waiting he asked me why I didn't have a [Company] shirt. Now, we don't have a uniform; we have a dress code. We have to wear a certain color shirt and shirts with the company logo are available, but not required. I prefer my own stuff. I knew he had a problem with the color of my shirt, not style--it's the correct color, but heathered, so it looks a bit different than usual. I pretended he was asking about the logo'ed shirts so I'd have a reason to give (not that I need to justify myself, but to avoid argument).

Me: "Oh, I don't have any of those."
    Him: "You're the only one I've seen without a [Company] shirt. You must have some pull."
    Me: I corrected him, "No--I just don't prefer those shirts because of the way they fit. They offered me one yesterday but I said no because I prefer my own." I wanted to shout Because they don't care! What difference does it make?!? but I didn't need a complaint today. Why were we still on this?

So I just focused on the lady from then on, struggling to remain composed and humor his joke I didn't get. I was professional, but not as friendly as usual because I consider it an affront to open a conversation with a criticism of something that is none of one's business and inconsequential. The man finally wandered off and I could tell the lady was either embarrassed by him or thought I was rude. I feel bad for that; she was nice and I didn't want her to feel I was anything but glad to help her. He ruined it.
    Last edited by Food Lady; 10-18-2014, 07:59 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

He's probably one of those people who mistakes people as workers in other stores.

"You're wearing blue! You MUST work here!"

Comment

I've got the best dress code at work.... NONE! Except for a reflective safety vest if I'm working roadside. Other than that, look for the tow truck being driven by the guy with the Hawaiian shirt.
      - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
        I've got the best dress code at work.... NONE! Except for a reflective safety vest if I'm working roadside. Other than that, look for the tow truck being driven by the guy with the Hawaiian shirt.
        So you can go to work in just your safety vest?
        How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

I have to wear a blue polo and khakis to work. If I go to Wally World after work, I am stopped at least 10 times

Comment

What business is it of this guy's anyway? Unless he thinks you're a scammer and trying to take his money.....Let's see...get myself a till...figure out the code numbers....profit!

Comment

^ Underpants Gnomes refernce--niiiiice.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                What business is it of this guy's anyway? Unless he thinks you're a scammer and trying to take his money.....Let's see...get myself a till...figure out the code numbers....profit!
                I always joke we floor people should be equipped with those money belts I always saw on the beer vendors at the dirt track mumblemumble years ago.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                  Long as I stay IN the truck, I suppose.
                  - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
                    Must be nice when it's really hot out... just let everything swing in the breeze...

A nude tow truck guy would probably have a lot less arguments with people.

"Hey! That's my car!"
                    *arga gets out of truck, fully engorged*
                    "...I'll just pay for this tomorrow. Kthanksbye!"

Comment

Quoth registerrodeo View Post
                      I have to wear a blue polo and khakis to work. If I go to Wally World after work, I am stopped at least 10 times
                      Had that happen a few times. I'm wearing my red polo in a Staples and someone comes up and asks where the protractors are.

As long as they're polite when I politely tell them that I'm not a Staples Employee...we're good.

It's the assholes that don't accept that little fact that I'll rip into.
                      I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

We had an outside contractor complain about one of my colleagues the other day because they didn't like how he wore his tie. Not that he was out of uniform in any way, just that they didn't approve of how he had his tie on, which was how management have approved due to various health issues... It keeps him in the full gear while not being ridiculously draconian.

Of course the complainer didn't have a uniform at all, so why are they bothered by something over which they have no influence nor are they in any way affected by?!
                        This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                        I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                          Of course the complainer didn't have a uniform at all, so why are they bothered by something over which they have no influence nor are they in any way affected by?!
                          EXACTLY! The color of my shirt has no bearing on my accuracy nor speed.

I went shopping yesterday and bought a bunch of shirts for work that are on the outside of the spectrum of the shades we're allowed to wear, just to spite him. An analogy: if we were required to wear green, most people would show up in kelly green, right? But mine would be olive, teal, forest, or lime: all still green, all allowed.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                            EXACTLY! The color of my shirt has no bearing on my accuracy nor speed.
                            Yes, wear any color of shirt you like. But if you are on a certain starship, do not ever wear a red shirt.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              Yes, wear any color of shirt you like. But if you are on a certain starship, do not ever wear a red shirt.
                              Depends on what version of said ship. In the later series, red also denoted command staff.
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X