This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancerous Ice Cream

Witnessed this exchanged a couple weeks ago...a woman went to the service desk with a half-gallon of ice cream...

Ice Cream Lady: "I want to return this for a refund."
    CW: Ok, is something wrong with it, or...?"
    ICL: "You're damn right! It's got all kinds of CRAP in it!"
    CW goes to open the carton to see what's "in" it.
    ICL: "Poly-tri-glycerides (or something like that)!! That's a CARCINOGEN!!"

CW was but went ahead and processed the refund. For some reason, we have to have refunded customers sign a slip, and when CW politely asked this lady to sign, the lady swiped the paper across the desk and screamed "Like Hell, I will! You try to sell me CANCER-CAUSING CHEMICALS and you want me to sign something? What are you trying to pull!??"
    And away she stormed.

I can understand being conscious of what ingredients are in the food you buy, but uh, maybe check the label before you purchase it? And really, the clerks at the store are NOT responsible for what you purchase or what ingredients may be in it.

On a related note, today I had a woman yelling at me because a frozen dinner that she had picked up had 360 grams of sodium. "REALLY??" she yelled at me "it says Low-Fat, HOW can there be so much sodium in it??"

Like I know? Like I care?

Thank you, have a nice day. C U Next Time

Some people need to learn basic chemistry.... or at least admit they know nothing about it and should stop trying to pretend they do.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Yelling & screaming at the rank & file associates isn't going to help. They need to call corp. Why they feel the need to pitch a fit at a cashier knowing full well that said cashier doesn't make policy or the products just doesn't make any sense.

Comment

Quoth TattooedMommie View Post
        On a related note, today I had a woman yelling at me because a frozen dinner that she had picked up had 360 grams of sodium.
        I'd be pissed if I bought a dinner that had that much sodium in it. Considering it's rare for a frozen dinner to be a full pound (454 grams - the Swanson "Hungry Man" extra-large dinners are pretty much the only ones to get that big), the dinner in question must be made of pure metallic sodium - not something I'd want to eat.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

On a related note, today I had a woman yelling at me because a frozen dinner that she had picked up had 360 grams of sodium. "REALLY??" she yelled at me "it says Low-Fat, HOW can there be so much sodium in it??"

Like I know? Like I care?
          Ooo! I know.

The processed food companies add salt whenever they take out the fat. You see, fat is flavor. So when you make something low fat it doesn't taste as good (or good at all). The "solution" is often to add salt for flavor.

There's always a trade off, and in any case, she was a bitch to take it out on you. After all, you didn't make the shit.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

So, because something is labeled "low FAT" it shouldn't have a lot of sodium...? Logic fail.

And yeah, that's a lot of sodium, but I would not assume that low-fat meant low-sodium. They're two different things.

Companies add sugar to make up for less fat, too. Something I'm learning in detail these days...
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

better not cue her into the fact that the giant glowing ball in the sky will also giver her cancer (and probably a whole lot faster than any of the asst. "food" products).

Comment

The too much sodium SC probably misread the units on the package. It might have been 360 mg and she read the mg as grams not milligrams.
                "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Is 360mg even that much?

Comment

*sigh* It's the consumer's responsibility to read the label. I try to, but I don't do it 100% of the time. I ended up with something that had an ingredient I didn't want, and guess who I blamed? Myself.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                      *sigh* It's the consumer's responsibility to read the label. I try to, but I don't do it 100% of the time. I ended up with something that had an ingredient I didn't want, and guess who I blamed? Myself.

I've done that too, but even if the mistake is my own, I've found that being polite and honest (and even a little self-depreciating) usually gets me the return/exchange I'm looking for.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                        Is 360mg even that much?
                        Ordinary table salt is roughly 40% sodium by weight. To get 360mg of sodium, you'd need roughly 900mg of salt. For comparison purposes, a regular headache tablet (either ASA or acetominophen) is 325mg, an extra-strength tablet is 500mg, and a dime is 1000mg. I'd say it's a fairly small quantity.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                          I've done that too, but even if the mistake is my own, I've found that being polite and honest (and even a little self-depreciating) usually gets me the return/exchange I'm looking for.
                          Yeah, I don't mean to keep it. I wish I had returned mine. In my case I ate it without reading the ingredients, and later noticed my heart fluttering. Upon inspection, the soup had msg. (I know it's not proven to cause this, I don't want to start anything, I just avoid that ingredient if I can)
                          Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Um, because sodium and fat are two different things? Wow....
                            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                              Yeah, I don't mean to keep it. I wish I had returned mine. In my case I ate it without reading the ingredients, and later noticed my heart fluttering. Upon inspection, the soup had msg. (I know it's not proven to cause this, I don't want to start anything, I just avoid that ingredient if I can)

In my case, it's generally a situation where I've sent somebody else to the store and that person has failed to read the ingredients closely. I have an extremely severe, life-threatening food allergy, so I read everything. Generally, if I have to return something I apologize and explain that it was purchased without properly reading the ingredients, and would they please exchange/return it for me. I've never had a problem with that. Of course, I'm generally not an SC/EW, so that probably helps.
                              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Working...
                              X