This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My cat right now is called Idris.

Hyperactive, Hyperaffectionate, and a little bit bitey.
    The Case of the Missing Mandrake; A Jude Derry, Sorceress Sleuth Mystery Available on Amazon.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
      Mouthy's name came about because he was the kitten in the litter that would sit in the middle of the room and play "Marco Polo" with his litter mates.
      Brit here. I've heard of this before on TV programmes. How do you play "Marco Polo"? I thought it was just something where you said "Marco" and someone replied "Polo"...

Comment

True Marco Polo is a form of tag played in a swimming pool. "It" has to keep his/her eyes closed. It calls out "Marco" and the other players respond "Polo." It has to find & tag one of the others just from the sound.

Different groups of kids may add their own rules--no getting out of the pool, no diving under water, and so on.

Comment

Quoth Stormraven View Post
          My cat right now is called Idris.

Hyperactive, Hyperaffectionate, and a little bit bitey.
          But is she bigger on the inside?
          "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
            Dodo was originally Velcro
            We also had a Velcro once, so named as that's the sound he made when he ran across the couch as a kitten

We've also had
            Diddums Rex Rex Miaow Miaow,
            Leila (started as Lister and the we realised he was a she)
            Morg N' Thorg (shout out to any Bloodbowlers out there) who lived up to his name in terms of temperament.
            My brother has cats called Bastet and Uncle Chicken
            but my all time favourite was my wife's dog: Bobby F'tang F'tang Ole Biscuit Barrel
            Be Nicer To Retail Workers 2K18, also known as: stop being an incredibly shitty human to people just doing their job.

Comment

We once had an Attilla (not sure of spelling) who got renamed in a hurry when we found out that "he" was very pregnant.
              "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                We once had an Attilla (not sure of spelling) who got renamed in a hurry when we found out that "he" was very pregnant.
                Don't see why, I had a nun at a school named Sister Mary Atilla. Some sort of Hungarian name I guess. Pronounced the same as Attila
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  ... I had a nun at a school named Sister Mary Atilla...
                  A real Attila the Nun?
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                    My parents had to do the same thing, but in the opposite direction: it turned out that "she" was a he. How they failed to notice it is beyond me... heck, even the vet had the cat's sex listed as F.

The cat's name was Cleo ("Cleopatra"). I told them that if they want to keep calling him Cleo, his new name should be the Reverend Cleophus James.
                    "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

My strangest names for a pair of animals were Ziggy and Stardust. Yup, the David Bowie tune. They were also my favorite vapor of names even though lots of people thought of Ziggy the cartoon.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        A real Attila the Nun?
                        Yup. The Catholic school I went to from K-2 was decent, she was the K teacher. First grade teacher was old school nasty, she left bruises trying to force me from left handed to right handed. Then my parents told the school in no uncertain terms NOT to do that, but it was sort of too late, I write equally shitty with both hands. I almost wish that my parents had decided to ship me off to boarding school instead. [I never knew it, but Columbia, a private girls school in Rochester NY had actually sent some lady out to try and recruit my parents into sending me when I was just going into first grade. I can vaguely remember some lady coming out to the cottage and playing with me - I didn't find out for years what had happened.]

So, Mary Atila was this really nice sort of gnarley old grandmotherly type nun, perfect for kindergarteners. I have wonderful memories of a few events, a mental snapshot of the room we were in and some of the toys. I would imagine that she had dealt with being a primary teacher for decades, growing old in the job.
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I have two I call Huginn and Muninn. Named such because I had just read a bit of the Edda the week before I adopted them.
                          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

My bird started out as Avery, but got renamed to Ava when we found the wreckage of an egg in the cage one morning. Since we only had one bird, it wasn't hard to guess who did it.

I said to the bird, "We've known you over a year and a half and this is the first time you did this?" and got back a very worried look that seemed to say, "I'm not sure WHAT I did!"
                            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I've got a Russian Blue kitty that we call Katya, but her full name is Ykaterina Alexeevna Romanova *mylastname*. Yes, she is named after who you think - I studied entirely too much Russian history (by choice!) in university.

We've had:
                              Splat (bad idea because a bitch roomie helped this cat live up to her name...to make a long story short I almost killed said former roomie over it -_-)
                              Noodles
                              D9
                              Sparta
                              Wolfie
                              Tynan (actually still have her)
                              Ming (was a Siamese)
                              Boots
                              Shoe-Shoe
                              Simba (who answered to Fuzzbutt McFurr)
                              Smokey
                              Patches
                              ...and various other names over the years, but those are the ones that stick out the most.

Comment

My cousin had a Splat... so named because she had a habit of jumping from high places and going splat.

My mom had a Patches (but then, who didn't, especially if it was a Calico). Mom also had a Maine Coon, which was originally named by a young me "Little Puff." Now, if you've never known a Maine Coon, they're fairly large cats, and their fluffiness makes them look even larger. "Little" is one thing she wasn't.
                                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

Working...
                                X