This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perturbed about detergent

The major manufacturers of liquid laundry detergent have started producing 2X concentrated laundry detergent. This allows them to use smaller bottles (for example, what was a 100-oz bottle of detergent is now 50 oz, 200 oz is now 100, and so forth) with smaller caps you don't fill up all the way, so you still get the same amount of washloads from the smaller container as you did from the bigger one you're used to. I guess this is produce less waste or something.

This is completely throwing people for a loop. "What a rip-off!" I often hear customers holler. "They shrunk the bottle to half of what it was before and charge the same price?"

I then explain to them the detergent inside is twice the concentration and you use less per load, so you still get the same amount of loads as you did before. Customers sometimes understand this, but now always.

For example, today I had a guy tell me he was going to save a big cap from his old bottle of detergent and keep dumping a full capfull into the washer with each load because he didn't believe this new detergent could be any good if they had to double the concentration. To which I advised "Do that and you'll end up with suds all over the floor and possibly even ruin your washer."

If he doesn't take my advice, I'll get blamed anyway. Such is retail.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

i know the brand in question... and ... dayum.
    it's not like those cute bottles of All don't have it on the side in clear words.

hell i LIKE them... i don't always have a lot of space here, so i'll get the concentrated bottle before I get the bulky crap any day

Comment

The new boxes with the smaller bottles are easier to pick up and stack, that's for damn sure. Not so big and bulky like the old ones.

However, corporate seized upon this development and expanded the assortment of detergents we carry, so sadly we don't save any room in our detergent backstock.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

um wow ok Tide, Cheer, Store brans, Dawn ect. ect.ect. all come with a regular, 2x, and possible a 3x...... and as far as i know have for the last year is not 2

Comment

i love those, easier to store/carry, less plastic (good for the enviroment) and using a full cap of that stuff would definitely ruin your washer.

Comment

I think it's great. Although, I suspect it's "concentrated" because they just don't add as many fillers.
            "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

well it kinds of makes your hands more uncomfrtable....so... its stronger

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                For example, today I had a guy tell me he was going to save a big cap from his old bottle of detergent and keep dumping a full capfull into the washer with each load because he didn't believe this new detergent could be any good if they had to double the concentration.
                Hm. Something tells me this particular SC spent high school Chemistry classes picking his nose and trying to work out how to see down the cheerleader's top.
                "If life ain't just a joke, then why are we laughing?" - Gerard Way

Comment

Quoth JessEm View Post
                  Hm. Something tells me this particular SC spent high school Chemistry classes picking his nose and trying to work out how to see down the cheerleader's top.
                  Thats easy put a mirror on the ceiling right behind that massive support beam that held the roof up..

Comment

Quoth JessEm View Post
                    I swear that sounds like something my b/f might have done back in high school (30 years ago at that.)

Back on topic: We've been carrying some of the 2x detergents and so far I've heard no complaints about it.

Personally, I like it . . . the smaller packaging is lighter to lift.
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

This is new where you are? Concentrated detergents are over two decades old down here in Aussieland.

And yes, they put in less 'filler'. The filler being H2O. You can 'unconcentrate' them by pouring them into a regular sized bottle and adding water.

Heck, we have some concentrates that are just little plastic pouches, and you're expected to clip the corner off the pouch and pour them into a bottle and add water.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Didn't you know? Good ole' usa is last in technology these days. Detergents, washer/dryer, induction cooking, toilets.

Comment

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
                          induction cooking toilets.
                          Edited for my amusement. I want one!
                          "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Working...
                          X