This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One day this winter we got two feet of snow in one day >_<
    Originally, my boss wasn't gonna let me close the store, until I told him that we got three customers all day long.
    Even then, he only closed cause I told him that by staying open, he was losing money. He had to pay me and pay the snow plow guy $25 every time he did our driveway, which was twice, because of the insane amount of snow.
    Even then, he only let me close two hours early.

Comment

We never closed the gas station early unless the weather was so bad that I was getting less than 5 customers per hour.

About a month ago, when it got to about 40 degrees on Monday and rained, then Monday night it went below zero and froze and turned everything into an ice rink, then dumped 6 inches of snow Tuesday the local mall closed at 5 pm. The lady at the tanning salon told me that she closed at 2 pm....
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I think I've mentioned my company's policy, it's always under a weather advisory. It's a 'use your best judgment about whether it's safe enough for you to come to work' type of thing.

Of course, if you pull a bad weather excuse when everything is hunky-dory, that's gonna show up in your review.

On the other hand, if your house gets hit by a tornado & the company is open & fine, you can call in a bad weather day. You'll get paid for that time, and you're expected to make it up later.

The company was notorious for not closing, until we got 2' of snow, in an area that panics when we get 1". They created a whole new personnel policy as a result. They closed as much as possible for that storm. They still go with an open as much as possible policy.
        Last edited by TryNotToBeThatOne; 02-26-2008, 02:46 PM. Reason: grammar
        I'm sorry, the person to whom you were speaking has been replaced by a recording. Please leave your message at the sound of the beep.

Comment

If no one shows up we get paid for the day. If you don't come in but others do, you don't get paid.

Last Thursday the owner shut down and told us not to come back till Monday because the weather looked bad for the next day. It wasn't as bad as we had thought, but we stayed away, and we are getting paid for it.

Comment

The only time I was working at a place that closed for snow, I had to get there at 4:30 AM to get all the computer jobs run before people showed up for work. Since the computer room was seperate from everything else, I was a little surprised to come out at around 10 AM and find the office lights still off. I had to call my boss (at a remote office, only two IT guys at this office) to find out the office had been closed...two hours after I started work.

The other IT guy and I ended up just playing our DSs and going home at the usual time. Easiest day at work ever.

I'm also the guy who usually gets into work, do or die. I pick my vehicles to specifically have 1' of ground clearance so I can better handle the snow when it hits. Never been more than a few minutes late to work, and that was due to an accident that shut down the road just as I got there. It has been just me and 1-2 others at work more than once.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

We've had some pretty nasty days this winter. A few weeks the temperature got down to something in the 50's and it was raining at the same time. We almost had to turn on the heat, which none of us knows how to do.
              Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Unfortunately, in my line of work...snow means work and LOTS of it. Not only do we not get to close early, but it becomes MANDATORY that we have to stay later!

Wisconsin has had the "worse winter in 100 years" according to Good Morning America. People haven't learned to not drive in it...or at least learn to drive better in this weather.
                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Reminds me of my high school. I can count on one hand the number of snow days we had, and this was in mid-Michigan.

Policy was, if the principal could make it in, school was on. I know a lot of the students were being the only ones sometimes in school. I'm sure that there were many upset teachers and bus drivers also...

Comment

Quoth RichS View Post
                    Reminds me of my high school. I can count on one hand the number of snow days we had, and this was in mid-Michigan.

Policy was, if the principal could make it in, school was on. I know a lot of the students were being the only ones sometimes in school. I'm sure that there were many upset teachers and bus drivers also...
                    Ditto with my high school. In all four years we only had one snow day. Though the high school itself wasn't located in the snow belt in Ohio, at least half of the student who attended the school lived in the snow belt (private school, students came from as far as 45 minutes to an hour away).

College was another story. I went to a college in Erie, PA, which gets a ridiculous amount of snow, not as much as Buffalo, NY, but enough where I was wading to class in snow drifts that were up to my waist. Not once did classes get canceled because of weather. We even had teachers cross-country ski into work because they couldn't get their cars out of the driveway!

Comment

Quoth South Texan View Post
                      Thank you all! You made me appreciate where I live all the more.

It was around 80 degrees here today, my kids were off from school so they were outside in shorts playing, and I had all my windows open to enjoy the breeze. Tomorrow I have to mow the lawn.
                      What I wouldn't give for 80 degrees right now . . . *le sigh*

I haven't known the Kitty to shut down when we have bad weather . . . but then, we've not had much of it this year.

In fact, we're BUSIER due to the fact that bad weather is forecasted and people must clean us out of milk/bread/eggs/beer/snacks/toilet paper.

Last time I ever heard of a grocery store closing early was back when I was at the little WD store up the road from the house . . .that store closed a handful of times at 5 or earlier due to either bad weather or power outage (or both) so us employees could get home safely before it got dark.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Yeah...we don't have snow days at work. If it's really bad, they'll try to have people who live close work OT, and will even put up people who live far away in the hotel across the street. But honestly, winter storms (and normal storms, and hurricanes, and the forest fires in CA, and the power outages in FL today....etc....) all make more work for us, because they tend to mean tower sites go down, people have radio emergencies, etc. Granted, I do enjoy being in a position where I can help people in those situations.

They even have a setup where, if our building, with all it's generators and such, were to be completely demolished so that we couldn't work, there are two back up locations to go to where we can take calls. So yeah, no weather days, pretty much ever.
                        "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

At the photo studio the policy was "if photochick can make it so can you." I lived furthest away and in the country (or what used to be country) and not in DC like everyone else so if I said roads were fine and you didn't show, you didn't get paid. If I said I was staying home, everyone got paid day off. If we had a gig, your butt had to be there come hell or high water. Not only didn't you get paid but you got onto the "who's gonna be fire next" list.

At the ski resort the official policy was that if the buses were running you had to be there. Unofficial, sups would look the other way if someone on the edge of town (therefore not on the bus route) would take a day off if there was really heavy snow cause it wasn't abused very often.

Comment

I also, unofficially, have no reason to call out due to weather. I live a mile away from the store--maybe even less.

Last time I did, I got all kinds of shit from co-workers who made it in to work, some of them from way out in the country.
                            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                            X