This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You Don't Ask for Much, Do You?

A guy calls in claiming that the dealership didn’t put any oil back in his car at a recent oil change. I call the dealership, they confirm that they did an oil change on Friday and the guy came back to them on Monday with this claim. They double checked everything and did find it necessary to add 1.5 quarts of oil. So, yes, they did short him some oil on Friday.

When I question them on how low his oil really was, they tell me his model of car takes about 6 quarts of oil. He was by no means running on empty as he was claiming. So, the dealership did have a workmanship issue but they also had offered him 3 free oil changes at their dealership for this oversight. This wasn’t good enough for the guy; he wanted us to warranty his engine against any and all problems…for life.
    My formula for living is quite simple. I get up in the morning and I go to bed at night. In between, I occupy myself as best I can.---Cary Grant

A warranty for life, heh? Whose life? Most lifetime warranties are the life of the product, which means they'll fix it for free unless it breaks.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
      A warranty for life, heh? Whose life? Most lifetime warranties are the life of the product, which means they'll fix it for free unless it breaks.
      Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't they fix it if it breaks?

I'm still rather mystified as to how lifetime warranties operate.

Comment

What'd this guy do? Buy a car at Sears?

Even they wouldn't have a lifetime warranty if they did sell cars . . . (I think they still have one on Craftsman tools though.)

All I can say to that is: Good luck, Pal.
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth theredbaron47 View Post
          Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't they fix it if it breaks?
          edible_hat is being flip. If the whatever breaks, they usually try to wiggle out of fixing it.
          The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that lifetime warranties were warranties that lasted a number of years equal to the average active use life the item is designed to be used for - 0.5 or 1.0.

maybe I'm wrong, though...
            "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

It may be different for other products, but when I worked in a luggage store a "lifetime" warranty meant the product was guaranteed against manufacturers defects - normal wear and tear was not included, or in the case of luggage, airline damage.
              Last edited by sunhasfallen; 02-26-2008, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Quoth Shards View Post
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that lifetime warranties were warranties that lasted a number of years equal to the average active use life the item is designed to be used for - 0.5 or 1.0.

I know warranties with time limits are on them are set at the highest time for the least amount of damages. This way, the majority of the defects occur after the length of the warranty, but it still seems like a decent period of time to the average user. Suckers. Who says they have to teach chemistry in chem courses?
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

So he would want a warrnty repair even if he did this (should be worksafe youtube)
                  ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth Shards View Post

A lifetime warranty for Kingston computer memory products is about 5 years long IIRC.
                    Music: Last.fm
                    Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

Quoth PaRaGaS View Post
                      A lifetime warranty for Kingston computer memory products is about 5 years long IIRC.

Dang, and I just got 2 gigs from them for Christmas, too

Comment

Quoth Sacknahalf05 View Post
                        Dang, and I just got 2 gigs from them for Christmas, too
                        In five years memory chips will be some 4 generations ahead, what are you worrying about?

And here I am contemplating the possibility of upgrading my A1700+XP setup - what to buy first, new computer hardware or that tele-zoom lens I want so badly (which also happens to be about 1000USD more expensive here in Poland than in the USA ).
                        Music: Last.fm
                        Pwetty pictuwes: DeviantArt | Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X