X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *Update* "Father Entitlement

This is an update to my recent post.

Well, as I said before FE came back in the other day and my framing manager spoke to him. He told him to come back on Thursday when I wasn't working. I worked tonight.

The girl who was in before me said that he came in again today. She has been there with me through this all, and he knows her because she always just tells him that I am not there, firmly. To say the least, she hates him with a passion for what he is doing because her and I are good friends and she can see how he is making me feel.

Well, he came in, and he didn't say anything about me to her. So, that's good. But it doesn't mean anything.

Today, I addressed this with the General Manager. And here was our convo:

Me: Um, just so you know, FE has been shopping here again.
    GM: Yeah. And?
    Me: ...that's a problem for me.
    GM: Well, he's not bothering you now. I can't do anything about it if he is a regular customer.
    Me: But he hasn't been a regular customer in the past.
    GM: Well, all I can tell you to do is have someone else wait on him.
    Me: We can't ban him?
    GM: I don't have a reason too.
    Me: ....

WTF??? Are you kidding me? My general manager won't do anything about it. Where the fuck did his spine go? I know that my general manager isn't fond of me, but that is no grounds to keep me in danger.

So, basically, I've decided what I am going to do: request a transfer. If that falls through, then fuck it. I will find a new job. Making minimum wage for less work somewhere else won't be anything different.

I am so upset over what happened, but I've already decided that I am going to be making a lot of phone calls. First, to my old manager, who was also there throughout the ordeal, to ask if she will provide a statement. Then, to corporate. Since the GM won't do anything about it, then I am going to his boss. I am going to ask my GM for a transfer, and if he doesn't find that I have reason to, I will again go to his boss. There is only so much I can take working a minimum wage job at 15 hours a week, and to be honest, this is it.

I am at my wits end with his response. I almost quit tonight, but I settled with going home early -- the first time I have done this since I started working there. The MOD on duty knew something was wrong. All I did was go up to her, look her deadpan in the eyes, and in the most monotone voice said: Can I go home. She didn't even ask why, all she said was a plain yes. And now I am here.

If anyone else has any advice for who to call about this, I would gladly take it. I will be calling the police as well, but I am not sure if they can do anything since the harassing happened awhile ago, and there is no proof that that is why he is back again, other then he asked for me once.

I am so frustrated with life.
    JB: Are you the grief counselor?
    GC: Oh, God, it never ends.

Cas@Mindsay

Definitely call up corporate and say the magic words: "Hostile Work Environment"

If there are other people in the store who can vouch for what you've gone through with Father Entitlement, there's no reason against a ban other than the GM wants his money.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Yes, call the cops.

If anything they may be able to arrange 'drive bys' on occasion and that may spook him off to see more badges about the place.
      Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Your manager may be putting you at undue risk by being an ass. I would go above his head and squeal to whoever you have to. You have no reason to put up with that.
        "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Definitly go higher up the totem pole and if the Father comes back and does start stalking you again call the cops and ask your old manger to make a statement about the past issues. About all I can think of right now other than what you already plan on doing. Good luck.
          Honey and Thorns ~ Handmade Knit and Jewelry

Comment

GM can't or won't do anything? FE is not a customer. Yes, he, at one time, purchased some items, but he brought it all back. Plus, FE is harassing an employee. It's your employers duty to provide a safe work environment....and the GM's not doing it FEs behavior most definitely falls comes under this heading. Before you request a transfer, or while you're requesting one, call whomever his higher up is and clue them in on what's been going on. Especially, since you've got witnesses to FEs past and current behavior there.
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Definitely call up corporate and say the magic words: "Hostile Work Environment"

If there are other people in the store who can vouch for what you've gone through with Father Entitlement, there's no reason against a ban other than the GM wants his money.
              That's definitely a good idea. I didn't know what I was going to say to corporate, but that will help get me started. I do have several people who can vouch for me: the girl who was working today, my current framing manager, my old framing manager, and other people in the store.

As for my boss's reaction it was either due to 1) he simply doesn't care anymore or 2) like you said, he wants his money. There is a lot of money to be made in framing. And now that he is regarding him as a "regular customer" again, he's not going to say anything to make him leave.

I've been thinking -- and I almost believe that when he visited his church, they said something to my boss to get him to lay off and drop it. Churches have done it before, so why not this time?

Also, I believe my boss doesn't care anymore because of my recent availability change -- classes on Saturday's. I can't work in the evening. He even lectured me about it. So maybe he feels like he's getting back at me by being an ass.
              Last edited by AngryCas; 02-26-2008, 01:39 AM.
              JB: Are you the grief counselor?
              GC: Oh, God, it never ends.

Cas@Mindsay

Comment

^^ If he is being an ass, then he's doing it in such a way as to open himself up for quite a world of hurt, legally speaking. I second IP. He is creating a hostile work environment through his inaction, regardless of whether FE is a regular customer. We would have permabanned our regulars for less at the record store.

Comment

if the guy wont leave you alone and your workplace wont do anything about it...even at the corporate level, get a restraining order on the guy. Inform the police what your workplace is, and that you would like that included in the restraining order. Im sure if you are in framing, you probably keep records as to the guy's name and address and everything. Just take out the restraining order, and then you have reason to call the police if he comes around. Just a suggestion.

Also, if corporate refuses to do anything contact a lawyer about your hostile work environment. Put any and all requests about this IN WRITING and submit it to your boss and corporate offices. According to law, the workplace MUST provide a safe work environment. Just remember to document everything, even if you have to start keeping a diary of what is happening. Also, if you have any co-workers who would be willing to sign on as witnesses when things happen, have them sign the entry in the diary.

Just some suggestions.
                  "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Definately call corporate. Tell them if they will not do anything about the GM forcing you to work in a Hostile working environment you'll be going to a lawyer.

I almost guarentee that you will see some changes ASAP.

Namely cause you could potentially sue for something in the neighborhood of 6 to 7 figures because your GM is not helping you and also encouraging it by not doing anything.

Comment

I can't believe this is still an issue, but then, perhaps he's a senile, lonely old man...I don't know. I'd carry a blackjack just in case.

"THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" *WHACK* "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" *WHACK*
                      You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

Yep, yep, yep...that's the correct lingo - "Hostile Work Environment"....Say that and they should move rather quickly...if not, then they aren't the company to work for...

but, thinking about it, I wonder if that would work because we're not talking employee v. employee, we're talking employee v. customer. I'm pretty sure that still falls under hostile work environment.
                        "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

i'm sure that falls under hostile work environment. Someone stalking you at work, be it coworker or "customer", is making your work environment uncomfortable and unsafe. And that is exactly what Father Entitlement is doing. Contact his arch bishop, let him know what kind of example this clergyman is posing, and that you are going to be going the legal route with a RO.

It doesn't matter what job a person is in, doctor, lawyer, priest, plumber. If they are actively stalking someone, and making their lives miserable, their uniform doesn't give them the right to do it. And I know a couple of VERY religious people that agree with me on this point.

You have a right to protect yourself and your quality of life. Having to be on tenterhooks at work, always looking over your shoulder, ducking under counters when you see something that looks like a black robe - that's no way to live. You'll eventually burn yourself out with all the stress. Your body will not be able to handle it for such a prolonged period. You need to go above your boss's head (who seems to be an asshat) and get this sorted out ASAP.
                          The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth gunsage View Post
                            I can't believe this is still an issue, but then, perhaps he's a senile, lonely old man...I don't know. I'd carry a blackjack just in case.

"THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" *WHACK* "THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!" *WHACK*
                            I'm going to agree with gunsage here. I call her Priscilla and she's a tire iron in the back of my car!

There's no reason corporate won't do anything about it. In a situation like this, it seems like they'll take care of you, especially if he's not really a 'regular.' Your GM's a moron.
                            Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

I agree with putting it in writing

I am not sure about the contacting of the Archbishop . . . .at least not without the store backing you.
                              You risk FE being told about the letter and if his followers are also informed they could start a boycott which could effect the sales at your store (and your friends jobs) - Just being realistic here.

However, if you have the store backing you, or the local PD, you then have more "umph" to your letter. In which case the FE would most likely keep his mouth shut.

Basically what I am saying is document everything and think carefully about which actions you chose to take.

Comment

Working...
                              X