Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regarding the removal of inactive accounts.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding the removal of inactive accounts.

I was just wondering what effect, if any, that will have on the posts made by those inactive members? Will they be deleted as well?

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

I got the impression that the purge will only apply to those with ZERO posts **and** ZERO logins in the past 3 months (in addition to the standard "any accounts with zero posts, period"). Unsure.

Tho when I've been on boards that do a purge in the past, old posts stay, but the username changes color and no longer links to a profile/it becomes unclickable.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Just what EricKei said.

Rapscallion

Comment

ya i figured it would be something like that... cos posts from banned members are still here. their names just look like this

Comment

PE - Makes sense to me. IIRC, in most (if not all forums), actually "deleting" a post really just hides it from everyone, in order to avoid corrupting the database. Most db-reliant proggies (especially accounting software....trust me on this one ) HATE to find "holes" where data once existed.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Depends on how they do it really. I've seen some forums where a "deleted post" was merely hidden from view by regular members. Although I've also seen some where posts were actually removed from a database - just a question of editing the message in the database really.

in the one i built for a college project I didn't have a "hide" function, but I could delete an entry from the table directly if I wanted.

for accounts though... i guess if i wanted to, i could have either removed accounts or just disabled their logins by changing the password. Although in my case most logins were just fake ones I created for testing... like "DoctorTen" etc.

Comment

We have both hiding and complete removal options available.

Rapscallion

Comment

PE - I should have clarified. By "removal", I literally meant removing the entire entry from the db, as if it had never existed, not just wiping the contents and leaving an empty, unusable box (Yes, I have run into this issue before on "FruitPlant" accountingsoftware before -- where this is REALLY bad, as each entry has its own unique identifier that is hidden from the end-user; if an entry gets deleted, said identifier could get re-used (in theory), thus effectively throwing off YEARS worth of data)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                  Yes, I have run into this issue before on "FruitPlant" accountingsoftware before
                  By any chance, is this FruitPlant the one that grows the fruit people associate with the state of Georgia?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

you know... i wonder if this "inactive account" decision is why I've suddenly seen a few "long time lurker first time poster" entries on the board in the past week. ... hmm

Comment

wolfie - You are correct, Sah...Their only real competition (read: the company that holds something like 80% of the market at that level) could be rendered as "Swift Tomes"

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        ... "FruitPlant" accounting software before...
                        I remember one fine day early in 1980 when none of their software would work to be demoed at the Shady Ol' Rack... It was February 29th...

At that time they also used a single 16 bit pointer in each record to point to both the previous *and* the next record of 64K possible. (XOR is a very strange friend)
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                        X