This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anonymity Issues question

basically as it has come to my attention and in wanting to help members keep the anonymous factor to an extent besides the screen name and be aware in posting that there are still ways that can be breached.

I was not aware until now that only CoC and MiM were locked to non members
    basically that almost all the forums are open to anyone not logged in to come in and view but not post a new topic or reply to.

My issue/question is this, besides the already locked forums which ones should remain unenviable to non members and to what extent? and specifically can off topic and life advice be locked from non member view?
    I can click for example, off topic and see all the posts there and go in and read each one but thats it.
    Well. Lets say I am an enemy or angry family member of a member looking to dig up dirt and have gone in to view, and have found this because besides the CoC and MiM I can see almost all of the forums and read them.
    I bring this up for idrinkarum, GraveKeeper, JoiTheArtist and all the others that have had to leave for a while, stop posting or worse because even though they posted without giving names or going into great detail still got busted.
    Last edited by Midnight12; 10-20-2011, 01:41 AM.

I completely agree with Midnight.
    If there were was of making certain sub forums more secure I'd support it if not the whole site.
    Driver Picks the Music, Shotgun Shuts His Cakehole.
    Supernatural 9-13-05 to forever

Comment

i also want to just bring this up not turn it into a debate. sorry in advance for that.
      I am also aware that only so much can be done and the rest is up to us. this is mostly posing/posting the question of are certain forums meant to be viewed easily or can we lock up more from non member aka public view please?
      Last edited by Midnight12; 10-20-2011, 01:32 AM.

Comment

I'd support a change like that as well, but I can understand why the fun/caring side of member is currently shown to guests. It makes everyone here seem human, and that it'd be nice to join the CS community and get to know everyone, instead of just reading what they have to say. Unfortunately, there is that flipside of "Oh, I know what you're saying online and so I'm going to use it against you."
        Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Moved to Site Suggestions.

As far as I know, the forum permissions are highly customizable. It would be possible to make the entire forum "members only" if we wanted to do that.

Ultimately though, nothing posted on a forum like this is truly secure. The only requirement for membership is a valid email address, and once you've done that, you can see the areas that aren't open for Guests to see. Therefore, it's ultimately up to the member to be mindful of what they post here. Just like on Facebook, etc, if you don't want it to be seen, then don't put it online.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

i'd say the same for fratching but again its a mod decision and general consensus?
            agreed and understood. mostly trying to keep it to can off topic and life questions be locked please? should have said that and i went off topic on my own post

Comment

We are as anonymous as we wish to be. Some of us hide even an inkling of where we work and live, sharing only the most vague details about our jobs. Others reveal names, locations, jobs, and specific companies (even if cleverly disguised). Many of us don't tell our loved ones about the site, and never mention it to coworkers, bosses, or even friends. Some of us have met our best friends and significant others here.

The site is really very secure, but there's always the human element to consider. How do we create a safe site without demanding that people never open up enough to truly connect to each other? Restricting Off Topic would remove the human element - I joined the site because of what I saw in OT, the support and caring that everyone showed to each other.

ETA: Sorry, Dave. I took too long to reply and said the same things you did. >.>

Comment

i was unaware that OT was left open for that reason. thank you

Comment

Yes, but Life Advice, where posters post some more ... private details of their lives while looking for advice, couldn't that be made private? Or because it's linked with the Off Topic section, it can't be? Just wondering.
                  Last edited by CalyCoRose; 10-21-2011, 11:20 AM.
                  And you're welcome (in regards to my avatar).

Comment

Quoth CalyCoRose View Post
                    Yes, but Life Advice, where posters post some more ... private details of their lives while looking for advice, couldn't that be made private? Or because it's linked with the Off Topic section, it can't be? Just wondering.
                    That could be done as a separate function, very easily in fact. I'll do some pondering, so give me a nudge in a day or three if I've not got back.

However, while we enact certain security measures, they'll never stop a determined attempt to get in. We have all new accounts on moderation, but we're not able to read the minds and intent of everyone who joins the site. Obfuscate events and people and keep yourself safe if you could end up in trouble.

Rapscallion

Comment

Also one extra tip: try and make your workplace as vague and obscure as possible.

IPF probably does a great example: I would have no idea where he works, except that it sounds like a hypermarket.

Some companies will search for keywords that people might use to describe the company but not explicitly naming it i.e. for Kmart "Big Red K" for Wal-Mart "Mart of Wal" and so on.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

If you ever feel insecure, you can always delete your threads, and as long as you PM Raps first, I think he can save them. And of course, to let him and the mods know that you're just doing it to be safe.

I've never brought back any I deleted, but I remember around the time a notorious ex coworker quit and some drama outside work was stirring, I had to go on a thread deleting frenzy because I was worried someone had gotten too close to being able to get to my stuff.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

If you delete your own threads, they just turn invisible and we can still see them - we can fully delete or revive them as required, or even just ignore it (the majority action).

Rapscallion

Comment

FYI, a good thing to remember when you post online is that once it's out there, it's out there. There's no way to completely delete it (AFAIK). I, personally, try to keep my workplace and specific location obfuscated, but I know that a determined person could easily figure out just who I really am (yes, my DL photo is in my profile).

It's really a matter of weighing the risks.

SC
                            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Working...
                            X