This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth solidmetalgear19 View Post
    Actually had a coworker go out there and pretend to care about what they were doing just so that he could get his hands on a sign. Well it worked and he took off with it. And he still has that sign to this day.
    Was it a good sign with glitter and big, like posterboard size? If it was just cardboard, then no points!

I know I posted this before, but it seems relevant again.... Kevin Smith protests Dogma.
    Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

I loved "The Da Vinci Code" and have plenty of friends out there that despise that book. My mom has a neighbor next door who was offended big time with that book, and would come over and talk about how Ron Howard was this, and Dan Brown was that. She was reading that book, and a couple of times had to actually hide it somewhere before letting this neighbor into her house! I'm not a totally religious person, and others out there are, plus some have different beliefs. To me, the book was just a good adventure, and a hard to put down book at that. I don't care if any of that stuff is believable to others. It made for a great story.

Who's next on the shit list? Larry Turtledove? Are these type of people going to picket his books that are made into movies? He writes alternate history novels. Is it blasphemous to write stories about "this is how it would have been had John F Kennedy survived"? I think not.

Comment

I also know a lady who was a part of protesting the "Harry Potter" movies, claiming those books are the spawn of the Devil. I read all of them, and felt again, they were great, entertaining novels full of life and adventure. She only has two more films to go before she has to find something better to do.

Comment

Quoth Kilamon View Post
          I know I posted this before, but it seems relevant again.... Kevin Smith protests Dogma.
          Ha! Awesome!
          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Sir Spaniard the 12th View Post
            (I asked her where she got that from, and she couldn't name an actual source...)
            Yeah, they usually can't...

I gotta say, I have not read/seen the Da Vinci Code, nor do I ever plan to. Something that stays on the bestseller list for years like that just makes me less inclined to read it** (and maybe a little to do with the sheer number of times I had to sticker and restock it when it was cleared off the shelf, by legitimate and non-legitimate means alike)...My dad liked Angels and Demons better, anyway

**I feel much the same way about Oprah books...any Oprah books I've read was because I either read it before she had it on her show or I at least wanted to before...
            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 08-23-2007, 11:36 PM.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The cultural arrogance of Christianity is staggering.
              Every Time I help a customer, I feel dirty inside.

Also cold and wet.

Sticky, too.

Comment

I have seen the The Vinci Code. I want to read the book for any parts that didn't make it into the movie
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Ironically, all the protesters do is attract attention to the thing they're trying to stop. I wonder if Harry Potter would have been nearly as big as it was if the people who were offended simply ignored it.
                  Sometimes life is altered.
                  Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                  Uneasy with confrontation.
                  Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Quoth solidmetalgear19 View Post
                    So yeah, around the time when the Da Vinci Code came out in theatres, first weeked it was out we had people picketing the thing!
                    I was disappointed, we went on opening day and not a damn picketer out there. But it probably had something to do with the fact that we went in the morning.

As much as "Da Vinci Code" torqued people, I can't wait until "Angels & Demons" comes out!

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                    She was reading that book, and a couple of times had to actually hide it somewhere before letting this neighbor into her house!
                    Why should your mom have to hide it? It's her house. If the neighbor doesn't like it....tough! I usually cart a book around with me and more often than not it's something Pagan. Do I give a crap if it offends someone....nope! If they don't like it, they don't have to look at, and I don't wanna hear about it!

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    I gotta say, I have not read/seen the Da Vinci Code, nor do I ever plan to.

**I feel much the same way about Oprah books.
                    You really should give it a try, though. It really is a good book. But I agree with you on Oprah. I can't stand that woman. And why in the hell do you need Oprah to tell you what to read? Can't they make that decision on their own?

Quoth powerboy View Post
                    I have seen the The Vinci Code. I want to read the book for any parts that didn't make it into the movie
                    They did pretty good. Although they changed a plot point pertaining to Sophie that I thought they should have left the way it was in the book. When you read it, let me know if you can guess what I'm talking about!
                    It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Anyone remember Jesus Christ Superstar? I think that was a movie banned by the Pope.

I watched it.

In Sunday School.

I'm Catholic...

And I agree with the poster about reading things on the best seller's list. I have a "don't act like a sheep" mentality. That, and I have no desire to see Da Vinci.

Comment

I got to watch the first Matrix in my Sunday School. ^_^

Quoth MadMike View Post
                        Ironically, all the protesters do is attract attention to the thing they're trying to stop. I wonder if Harry Potter would have been nearly as big as it was if the people who were offended simply ignored it.
                        Hey, it worked for Married ...with Children and Beavis and Butt-head.
                        "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                          And why in the hell do you need Oprah to tell you what to read?
                          Oh, but Oprah's recommendations are all absolutely amazing books! They make my life better (like that book by... James Frey? 'A million little pieces'? The one that turned out to be almost entirely a lie?)! They broaden my horizons. I don't have to make up my own mind. I'm a horrible little sheep who follows Oprah's every word! And her whole dedication to Dr. Phil, a fat guy who gives dieting advice to people, and yells at people until their relationship works again.
                          "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                            Oh, but Oprah's recommendations are all absolutely amazing books! They make my life better (like that book by... James Frey? 'A million little pieces'? The one that turned out to be almost entirely a lie?)! They broaden my horizons. I don't have to make up my own mind. I'm a horrible little sheep who follows Oprah's every word! And her whole dedication to Dr. Phil, a fat guy who gives dieting advice to people, and yells at people until their relationship works again.
                            I tried to read A Million Little Pieces (I was interested when it first came out in hardcover, LONG before Oprah got her hands on it) but I just couldn't get very far....

Sad thing is, she does have some good books on her list

Midwives, which I read way before her book club started, the author has been at Store1 for their fiction discussion group several times
                            East of Eden; read in college
                            Drowning Ruth; really good, I recommend it
                            White Oleander
                            The Rapture of Canaan

all of which I read before they were ever on her show...

Now, my problem is this: all the books she has on her show get released with her stupid Oprah logo on them, so then I look like I'm reading them because they were on her show! I've wanted to read Middlesex for a long time and all the copies have her damn O on them! grrr.
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                            X