Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bargainers, How Do I Hate Thee, Let Me Count the Ways....(long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haggling is best left of swap meets and flea markets. You can't go in to a store (especially an electronics store that has razor thin margins) and decide to play "Let's Make a Deal". Sometimes there's open box stuff that is negotiable, but don't expect the store to make any concessions on that brand new unit.
    "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
      I think I haven't been sufficiently clear on what I mean by "bargainer." I am not refering to a bargain-hunter, someone shopping around for the best deal. What I meant was more along the lines of "hagglers" (or scammers, if you wish)

• People who ask for arbitrary discount "because they're spending a lot" regardless of how much they're actually making us (see the original post)

•People who blatantly disregard quantity limits, then throw a huge shit fit when we enfore said limits.

• People who want us to sweeten the pot with a free item (like this woman)

•Those looking to use invalid coupons (which definitely crosses into "scamming" territory, again, like these people in this story)

The honest bargain-hunter I DO NOT have an issue with.
      We call them Maniacal Price Shoppers. Seriously. That's a term given to us by our district manager once upon a time. They hunt for good prices, then try to get the best deal combination out of one store by stretching the limits of price-matching concepts and demanding discounts or freebies just so one store gets their business.

I had one Maniacal Price Shopper once argue with me about monopolies. He thought that, if all the electronics sellers got together into one big company, they'd all combine their best deals into one fan-flaming-tastic sale. It was almost fun trying to explain to him that all those companies together would suddenly become a monopoly, which, aside from being illegal, could charge whatever outrageous price they wanted for their products and services because customers couldn't get them elsewhere. I gave up all hope for humanity when he said something about having a bachelors degree in business.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

The only haggling we can do at my store is give a damage discount on an item. It's a flat 10%, no more.

The only time I've ever seen someone successfully haggle with a manager, the guy drove over an hour to our store because he was told we had a Wii in stock and it was his son's birthday. The manager on duty gave him apology coupons and took his number, promising to call him personally as soon as we got Wiis in stock, because the guy was understandably upset but trying not to scream at us. Not an hour after he left, someone returned one. Electronics triple-checked it to make sure it had everything, it was locked in the manager's office, and she called him up. When he was able to make it in the day after, he successfully bargained for 5% off because he knew it wasn't a brand new one. More importantly, he was polite about asking.

I really get annoyed about people who think they 'deserve' a discount on something--especially people who feel that they're doing us a favor by taking scratched or dinged merchandise off our hands.

SC: But it's the flooooooor model! I should get a discount because it's uuuuuuused! And I'm taking it off your hands for youuuu!
        Me: Yes, that would be why it's on clearance for 50% off the original price already. The price isn't going lower.
        SC: You're a horrible store! You're going to go out of business like this!
        Me: *mental sigh* Do you want it or not? It's the last one we have, and I doubt it will be here if you change your mind and decide you want it later. If you still want it, I'll call someone to bring it up for you.
        SC: ...
        It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Maniacal Price Shoppers? Idiots? You say tomato, I say tomahto.

In any case, I have had people try to talk me down on the prices of drinks.

Riiiiiight. Good luck with that, Chintzy Cheapalot.

I have posted my Jester's Patented Anti-Haggling Technique on these boards enough, so I won't repeat myself here, but trust me when I say it works. Eventually, they will give up and pay the original price. Because frankly, you aren't giving them any choice but a bad one.

There are only two types of people that get discounts on drinks from me ever. Really nice people and people I somehow screwed something up with. Cheap freeloading entitlement whores? Never.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

At BBuy we don't have a commission, but there is still NO HAGGLING. If you wanna haggle, go to a flea market. Otherwise, pay the price we have.

Comment

I'll never get people who think that prices posted are "suggested" prices, and continue to haggle as much as they can until they're almost asked to leave.

We have posted prices for a reason here, damn it! Go shop at a flea market if you don't like that!

Comment

Working...
              X