This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well... yeah you just dont listen do you

so ive been doing dr.s appoints in preparation for leaving for school which turned out to be good for many reasons (i had a uti my a1c is higher than i would like and then i got some kind of bug bite that is infected so ive had to get another course of antibiotics) one of the things i did is a diabetic eye exam.

i go in and i answer all the questions one of them being 'Do you have any pain or discomfort from your eyes?' i say Nope! she looks up and says 'its been awhile since your last check up just make sure no headaches?' i say 'well if i sit in front of the computer for 8 hours or read til 4 am sure. But thats just exhaustion'

i get dilated i go into the exam room the dr comes in and says 'so it sounds like you need readers.' i look at him in a total wtf are you talking about way and say 'um no i dont think so im not having any issues with reading' he looks up and says 'oh do you have bifocals?' i say 'no regular glasses' he says 'but i thought you where having headaches when you read and are on the computer' and i am dumbfounded and say 'yeah after many many hours and im just freaking exhausted sure' he says well your really near sighted and your glasses take your vision out quite a bit' i look at him and say 'yeah i dont think so but um ill think about it.'

no further talk.

i get my eye exam clean bill of health im happy.

but seriously you read 300 pages of a book until 4am after have being awake and 6am the morning before. you will be half asleep with a head ache too

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
    but seriously you read 300 pages of a book until 4am after have being awake and 6am the morning before. you will be half asleep with a head ache too
    You just described pretty much every day of my life. ;-)
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

My glasses are on the thick side (around -9.5 more or less). Lately, it's been getting a bit too strong for comfortable reading. (Presbyopia: the disease wherein your arms get too short to read comfortably.) I really should get bifocals, but what I've been doing instead is to slide my glasses down my nose a couple mm, which defocuses them by about +1 diopter.

Problem is lately I've been running out of nose.

Comment

i forgot to mention after the bifocals questions he asked if i took my classes off ot read. to which i responded why would i? cause in my head i though 'well thats a good way to get a head ache. I can read and see without them ish but i will have leave within like 3 inches of the monitor or book and ill have an immediate head ache, specially if i don't cover my left eye ( my worst eye)

Comment

Presbyopia + myopia: the disease combination wherein your arms get too short to read comfortably with your glasses and your nose is too long to read without them.
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

LMAO
            I'm a bit above -8 on both eyes, bad lighting plus smaller print make my arms grow short! It's a conspiracy, I'm sure it is!
            Luckily my nose is still short enough to read without glasses.
            I see bifocals in my near future, though.
            No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

-7, +/- a quarter of a point on both eyes, here. Even with the thinnest lenses available, I still get "Hubble telescope" jokes

My brother, on the other hand, has bad farsightedness/astigmatism/lazy eye that was never really properly addressed that he's effectively blind in one eye, and 20/10 in the other, as it had to compensate. Still dunno how he manages to safely drive that way, but he does x.x
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                Presbyopia + myopia: the disease combination wherein your arms get too short to read comfortably with your glasses and your nose is too long to read without them.
                i dont have that! yay! i can read with my book comfortable in my arms not stretching or pulling close with my glasses so this guy was crazy

Comment

I have a prescription of -8 in one eye and -7.75 in the other. Thank god for the thin lenses!

Comment

I've got +0.75 in the Right and +1.00 in the Left, with a -1.50 Cylindar in right and -1.25 in left for astigmatism
                    How ever do they manage to breathe for themselves without having to call tech support? - Argabarga

Comment

I've been wearing pop-bottle lenses for years. A while ago one optician recommended I get reading glasses as well as a pair for other stuff. I did, but I couldn't stand them. They didn't seem to make any difference, plus they were ONLY good for reading. I couldn't even use them while using the computer because the screen's too far away and moving as close as it needed to be while wearing them really didn't work out well. So last time I just got one pair, with bifocals.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

One of the kids I take care of has a lazy eye (I believe). He used to have the other eye patched for a while but now has glasses that are deliberately "bad" to encourage his bad eye to work.
                        Combine this with him being on the spectrum and well...it can be interesting at times.
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I don't know off the top of my head what my prescription is, but every time I get new glasses they don't even offer me the choice of regular lenses or polycarbonates anymore. I asked once about it because they cost extra and I was broke at the time and they said, "oh you don't want regular lenses with your prescription, they'll be too heavy and thick."

My uncorrected vision is 20/200 in my left eye and 20/400 in my right eye, which means I'm effectively blind without glasses. Thankfully they're corrected to 20/20. I'm starting to get the first signs of presbyopia (I'm 35 and find it easier to see close up if I take my glasses off) so I'll probably need bifocals by 40.

Comment

Since we are discussing craptastic vision, I have a question.

Phlip the roomie is getting her cataracts dealt with now she has medical insurance from the government. She claims they gave She of the coke-bottle glasses the choice of *normal* uncorrected close vision, or *normal* uncorrected distance vision [as in no more bifocals ...] Is this even possible?! So I could go in with my crappy astigmatic eyes and have the normal unmilky lenses shoved out and artificial ones put in and be able to see distance with no glasses [or close with no glasses but correction for distance glasses]? Why are people NOT doing this instead of putting up with bifocals!?

[I don't wear bifocals because I spend a fair amount of time lying on my side, so I wear distance glasses to be able to see the whole tv instead of a half blurry one.]
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                              Me, too:

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                              Since we are discussing craptastic vision, I have a question.

Phlip the roomie is getting her cataracts dealt with now she has medical insurance from the government. She claims they gave She of the coke-bottle glasses the choice of *normal* uncorrected close vision, or *normal* uncorrected distance vision [as in no more bifocals ...] Is this even possible?! So I could go in with my crappy astigmatic eyes and have the normal unmilky lenses shoved out and artificial ones put in and be able to see distance with no glasses [or close with no glasses but correction for distance glasses]? Why are people NOT doing this instead of putting up with bifocals!?
                              Yes, this IS possible. With cataracts, the lens of the eye becomes milky and opaque. The surgery removes the lens, but you MUST have one in order to see. The new lens is plastic, so it's premade to specifications. however, it's not a natural lens so it's doesn't recreate vision the same as a natural lens.

It would not make sense to do this surgery on someone for myopia or astigmatism. You may still need glasses afterwards, and all surgeries have risks (although the risks are minimal these days). It is also expensive.

You can get Lasik or similar surgery for those issues (which I've avoided because I've known too many people who had complications, and it's insanely expensive).
                              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                              X