This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry piece of work

There is a CNA on the floor where I have clinic that just frustrates the hell out of me.

She is a lazy sack of shit. We've gotten into arguments before because she doesn't think I have any authority over her because I'm not a hospital employee. She keeps forgetting that it is hospital POLICY for the CNAs to direction from the students.

So today we gave a patient Lasix, a diuretic. It makes you pee like no tomorrow. The patient is normally continent but she can't walk right now (it's why she's in the hospital) so she couldn't call for a bedpan fast enough. She peed the bed, and peed it again while three of my students were changing the bed. She was very embarassed, though we told her not to be.

Later one of the students complained that when this CNA was asked who had this patient, the CNA responded "I don't know, I'll have to check." The CNA knew damn well this patient was on her assignment; but she didn't know the student's name and she assumes if the patient has a student then she doesn't have to do anything for that patient.

That is flatly not true. She's still responsible for all the patients on her load. The students have 3 patients and have to do ALL nursing tasks: meds, dressings, whatever. They have to delegate to the CNAs. This CNA decided she didn't need to do her hourly rounding on this patient and let her lie in her own piss, and didn't offer to help the student change her when the student discovered it. So the student had to ask for help from her classmates, who had their own patient care issues to take care of.

Bitch. I'm going to email the manager about this tomorrow. This is unacceptable.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Oh hell no! If she knew the patient was on her assignment, then her actions constitute neglect and possibly even abuse. I'll quote from one of my textbooks:

Patient abuse or neglect is any action or failure to act which causes unreasonable suffering, misery or harm to the patient.

By all means, get management involved and fire her ass!

Comment

Nail her to the wall!

Comment

Continence issues are not just embarassing, they can cause skin damage. (Of course, almost all of you will know this.)

So yeah, I'd be quite, quite pissed off (ha ha) at this so-called nurse.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yea, We have a nursing school here in town, and when I worked at the Nursing home we had the same problem.
          I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Can't - or don't want to- deal with bodily fluids? Shouldn't be in a medical profession.
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Can't - or don't want to- deal with bodily fluids? Shouldn't be in a medical profession.
              Exactly. Even I had to deal with them, and I was just a gurney-pusher for the X-Ray department at a hospital. Another vote for reporting her unprofessionalism.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                This wasn't about bodily functions. This woman is just lazy. It doesn't matter what the task is.

I wasn't able to get up with the manager on Friday. I'll have to try again on Monday
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                  This wasn't about bodily functions. This woman is just lazy. It doesn't matter what the task is.
                  I wasn't able to get up with the manager on Friday. I'll have to try again on Monday
                  Even worse.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post
                    fire her ass!
                    It's worse than that; patient neglect can get her license lifted, which can prevent her getting a job anywhere. Even in another state, because some states will proactively lift her license as well, if they hear that she's lost it in another.

Some time perusing New York State's Office of Professional Discipline's enforcement actions will reveal many such cases.

("Failure to attend to a patient" in New York carries a year's stayed suspension, a year's probation (during which time, if it happens again, the suspension becomes active) and a $500 fine; not necessarily career-ending, but certainly a black mark on the nurse's record, which would have to be disclosed to future employers.)

Or do CNA's have licenses in your state? I assume the C in CNA is for "certified". Presumably that certification can be voided if the holder commits professional misconduct.

Comment

Quoth Shalom View Post
                      Or do CNA's have licenses in your state? I assume the C in CNA is for "certified". Presumably that certification can be voided if the holder commits professional misconduct.
                      CNA's don't have licensure in any state. Licensure means there's a certain amount of independant practice; CNAs have none.

However, they are regulated by the Board of Nursing. However, getting fired is what usually happens to CNAs who consistently refuse to do their jobs.

Comment

Ugh. There is a unit in my hospital that I hate to get pulled to because the NA's (not all of them, but I would say the majority) are always on break, or sitting around talking and laughing. I don't mind doing some stuff myself but it sucks when you have a lot of stuff they CAN'T do to get done, and no one around to delegate.

Comment

Quoth PuckLizardRN View Post
                          Ugh. There is a unit in my hospital that I hate to get pulled to because the NA's (not all of them, but I would say the majority) are always on break, or sitting around talking and laughing. I don't mind doing some stuff myself but it sucks when you have a lot of stuff they CAN'T do to get done, and no one around to delegate.
                          My issue is usually with CNAs/techs who exceed their scope of practice.

One recently started opening a sterile package for an in and out cath when she KNEW my student was going to be doing it. She contaminated the contents when she opened it, then threw it on the bed between the patient legs. She acted like this was routine to her.

My and I said to her, "You've just contaminated my kit. Now I have to get a new one."

She got pissy but went and got it herself. My student did the procedure (successfully).

It bothered me that she seemed to treat what she did as an everyday occurrence, so I spoke to the charge nurse. Her and said, "But she's not even an CNA II!"

(In my state CNA II's can insert Foley's or do in and outs).

Comment

Any updates on original post?

Comment

Quoth Dytchdoctir View Post
                              Any updates on original post?
                              I did finally manage to talk to the manager. There's been a lot of upheaval at the hospital; a lot of upper management and middle management people got fired not too long after my original post. It was long overdue; part of the reason the hospital is in the red is because of those people.

There's a hiring freeze for CNAs right now. Manager says she wants to fire the CNA but can't because she won't be allowed to replace her. So CNA is still there, just as lazy and incompetent as ever.

She did talk to CNA, and things have been a bit better lately as far as the students go.

Comment

Working...
                              X