This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do your homework people.

This isn't really a SC story but I found it to be pretty amusing.

1. Back when Pan's Labyrinth (fantastic movie, go see it) was out in theatres we had this woman bring her young son to see it. It's understandable, looks like a fairy talke movie and everything. Well, give the two about 15-20 minutes into the movie (right around the whole bottle to the face bludgoning bit) and the two come walking out in a rush.

Her words: I didn't know it was going to be like that!

I kinda just nod and tell her "yeah"

2. Little earlier this year, around the time when 28 weeks later (kick ass movie) was in the middle of its run, there was a mother, father and their young son (kid was like, 11-12 age range) and they're watching the movie. So it gets to the scene where the infection starts again. To get an idea of the scene it's like this, dark underground area, lots of people, snarling zombie dudes with blood on their mouths, screaming, flashes of violent carnage, more screaming etc...

I see the kid in the chair with his knees up to his face, eyes bug eyed, probably pissing himself, so I walk out and stand in the hall.

Few seconds later the whole family walks out, even the mom was scared out of her wits So, I just let them slide and go see a more wholesome movie in progress.

The message here is DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU SEE A MOVIE WITH AN R RATING!
    Screw normal. You know why? 'Cause if you're normal, the crowd will accept you. But if you're deranged, the crowd will make you their leader.

Christopher Titus.

We had a few posts before about Pan's Labyrinth as well--people upset because it was much darker than they expected, or because it was subtitled. Give me a break--it's not the movie theatre's job to parent your kids, past the point of not letting them in without parents.

I can't remember the last time I went to see a movie without a good idea of what I was about to see--between ads and the internet, I usually walk into the theatre knowing what I want to see.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
      We had a few posts before about Pan's Labyrinth as well--people upset because it was much darker than they expected, or because it was subtitled.
      Oh, noes! Not the SUBTITLES! I don't go to the movies to read!

I'm so used to watching anime subbed that I hardly noticed the subtitles.
      Yeah, the violence threw me off, but I made it through alright. The frog creeped me out, though...

(Why the hell is my comp saying 'creeped' is spelled wrong...? Oh well.)
      "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Nobody does homework anymore. It's the pits at the bookstore.

Unless you have a vague idea of the Title, Author, or ISBN, anything beyond that is 20 questions time. I can name 40 books that have a blue cover, 150 books that have a girl on it, and don't get me started on couple combinations on Romance Novels.

Comment

I can't tell you how many people returned "Pan's Labyrinth" saying we got "the wrong language DVD's" shipped to the store, and how we need the "English version".

I hate this hick town.
          "I, too, am saddened by the lack of hookers in this thread." -LingualMonkey

Comment

I see the kid in the chair with his knees up to his face, eyes bug eyed, probably pissing himself
            I remember doing this when I saw "Bloody Pit of Horror" at the Twin Hi-Way Drive-In outside of Pittsburgh, PA in 1965 when I was 12. I didn't sleep for a week. Neither did my dad, but that was because mom beat the crap out of him for taking me to see it. (even though I begged dad to take me)
            Last edited by bigjimaz; 08-15-2007, 12:05 PM.
            This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Had the same problem as a small child when my elders rented Child's Play...

Thankfully playing DOOM for a few years desensitized me but good. ^_^
              "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Nightmare on Elm Street when I was a kid. Didn't sleep for some time. I feel bad for any kid that ends up having movie-induced nightmares, because let's face it, there is nothing scarier than what these people have made up. A child can't imagine Freddy, or Jason, or the 28 days/weeks zombies. No those are created.
                It is inaccurate to say that I hate everything. I am strongly in favor of common sense, common honesty, and common decency. This makes me forever ineligible for public office.
                ~~~H.L. Mencken

Comment

The part that sucks is the fact that these people are complaining that no one warned them that the movie was not for children...

...apart from the "R" rating, the sign on the poster that said that "This movie is not for children". or the warning on the screen during the pre-movie slide show of ads that precedes the movies at my theater.

Now here's the really sucky part. If someone HAD actually warned the person, the parent would get pissy that someone had the audacity to dictate what their children could and couldn't watch and threaten to sue the theater for trying...

...THEN get bitchy that the movie was violent and why the fuck didn't anyone warn them in the first place.

Can't win, Don't try.
                  I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

I remember going down to Maryland for Christmas to visit family. I was 7. My brother and cousins are all older (by 2 years or more) and they were watching Poltergeist on TV one night. I wasn't allowed to watch. I still have never seen it, come to think of it...

Then later in our visit I got a sudden piercing pain in my ear (I was very prone to ear infections as a child). My aunt took me and my mom to the hospital and they checked me out and gave me a prescription and then they gave me lollipops.

Yeah, when you're 7, it doesn't take much, does it...heehee...
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire View Post
                      Can't win, Don't try.
                      You forgot to add ™®©
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                        (Why the hell is my comp saying 'creeped' is spelled wrong...? Oh well.)
                        Probably thinks it should be "crept."

I saw "The Birds" on TV when I was 9 on a sleepover, so I couldn't get out of it without being labeled a chicken. OMG, I freaked out the next time I walked home from school and all the power lines seemed to be filled with birds. It was a cold day, maybe the lines were warm, but all I could see was Suzanne Pleshette with her eyes plucked out.

My mom put severe limitations on my television viewing after that. I had to sneak around to watch "Dark Shadows" and "Creature Features."
                        Last edited by wagegoth; 08-17-2007, 11:44 PM.
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

i actually refused to see pan labyranth because it was in spanish, i dont like spanish movies, i really dont like spanish movies, they make my head hurt, and i actually love subtitles, just hate spanish movies...

Comment

I saw the movie when I was on vacation in New York City (stayed in the Marriott a whole block from the WTC site...sad and humbiling all at the same time). I actually enjoyed the movie though. I grew up on subtitled movies, and definately prefer subbed to dubbed.

Thought the creepy-sleeping-eyball-in-hand monster was just not what I wanted to remember right before falling asleep...

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                              i actually refused to see pan labyranth because it was in spanish, i dont like spanish movies, i really dont like spanish movies, they make my head hurt, and i actually love subtitles, just hate spanish movies...
                              I've seen a few Spanish movies, and this one was nothing like any other one that I have seen. I think you should give it a try, just be warned that it's pretty gory.

I was never into scary movies, since most of the time they are more gory than scary. In fact, I refer to the "horror" genre as "gorer".
                              Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
                              Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
                              The Office

Comment

Working...
                              X