This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Bella_Vixen View Post
    There's sooooooooooooo many things that could be said about that if only one little word was changed.

What word?

Comment

If you think card readers and the like are bad, try working coin-op. Some of the things you can find in a typical video game coin door:

quarters in a token location (insanely common)
      tokens in a quarter location (more common than you think, despite none being sold at the location)
      competitors wrong size tokens (common)
      subway/other transportation tokens
      astrological sex tokens
      foreign coins (in the last few years: Mexico, Spain (pre-euro), Bahamas, UK, Europe, Brazil, Canada, Russia (I think), China (I think), Italy (pre-euro, only legal coin I've seen with a naked guy on it), Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Costa Rica, Japan (I think), Belgium (I think), Belize, Turkey (blind guess; Middle Eastern is all I can tell for sure), whatever country Carl XVI Gustaf Sverige came from (Sweden?), someone else who uses Cyrillic and has a two-headed bird as an emblem, Caymon Isles, and whatever country Republika Hrvatska represents)
      tickets
      plastic knives
      toothpicks
      playing cards
      schedules
      paper clips
      dollar coins jammed through the blockout plate on a quarter-only changer
      play money
      I even heard, but did not see myself, of a paper bill folded up and jammed in

The most ???? one I ever came across was a 1€ coin stuck in a quarter acceptor (French, if anyone cares). Aside from the sentimental value of keeping a souvenier of your trip, that's a lousy exchange rate.

You just want to say "THINK, PEOPLE!" Coin-op has been around since the Romans. You think that they haven't figured out how to stop most everything you can throw at them by now?

But that requires thinking, of course. Therefore....

Comment

Gurndigarn, got any to share? I LOVE non-US currency.

I keep it in a pretty box.

Am I weird? (Well, I KNOW I am, but you all know what I mean...)
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post

I do EXACTLY the same with non-canadian or special-issued canadian currency, pretty box and all!
          Now would be a good time to visit So Very Unofficial!

"I've had so many nasty customers this week, my bottomless pit is now ankle-deep."-Me.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn View Post
            If you think card readers and the like are bad, try working coin-op. Some of the things you can find in a typical video game coin door:
            <snip>
            dollar coins jammed through the blockout plate on a quarter-only changer
            <snip>
            Okay, the rest of your list didn't surprise me, but this one? What the purple monkey dishwasher?

Of course, it is only a few steps up from shoving tokens through three layers of electrical tape on coin slots. Then demanding a refund.
            Those who are loudest about their qualifications, tend to have the least merit to their claims.

Comment

Oddly enough I'll happily collect foreign money but could care less about special edition American money.. I've got the usual set of nickles and steel penny (though I'm dubious about the authenticity), and a penny going back to 1919 (does beat a 190X that my mom has, though). Though I will often ask for $2 bills from the bank and then just spend them everywhere.

I can only remember personally having one mistake with a coin-op, putting in a Canadian quarter without realizing it. Thankfully 'twas a small arcade and the owner let me replace my lost with an American quarter. Yay! I needed my King of Fighters '98...
              "IT stands away, interrupting himself from the incessant hammering of the kittens…"

Comment

Quoth Shironu-Akaineko View Post
                I do EXACTLY the same with non-canadian or special-issued canadian currency, pretty box and all!
                Woo hoo. I'm not the only one!!!!!!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaay us!!!!
                Unseen but seeing
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

For anyone curious, picture of the canadian bills at bottom of page :http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/bankno...r/2001-04.html

ETA: The picture is clicable. Click for enlarged images of bills.
                  The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Arcade Man D View Post
                    Okay, the rest of your list didn't surprise me, but this one? What the purple monkey dishwasher?

Of course, it is only a few steps up from shoving tokens through three layers of electrical tape on coin slots. Then demanding a refund.
                    That's okay, I had customers, from when I worked at a certain amusement park in southern Ohio, shove quarters through a bright "safety orange" sticker labled OUT OF ORDER. Fortunately, that was one of the few times we were allowed to refuse refunds.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

You called?

Joe

Comment

Quoth Max View Post
                        And yet SOMEHOW these people manage to reproduce?
                        Because fucking is easy.

And it doesn't require nearly the thought process as some of the things these people attempt to do.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

A few of the Indonesian and Mexican stuff I have duplicates of, and won't mind giving away. But I'm not shipping.

BC-3500, set to take quarters but not dollar coins. There's a blockout plate that drops down to make the opening only as big as a quarter. It's screwed into place. But the dollar coin is near a quarter in diameter, so it fits part way in. Obviously, if it fits part way in, it can fit all the way in, right? And the fact that a coin isn't going in means that you have to jam it in, because that will fix the problme, right?

By applying enough force in, the top of the coin applies force upwards on the blockout plate. Shoving it upward, no matter how tight I try to tighten the screws that hold it in place. On the plus side, they then lose their money, since the dollar coins jam the mech. On the down side, the machine won't take quarters any more, either. And it happens fairly regularly, especially now that they're doing the presidential series coins. I wanted to get a dual dollar/quarter mech, but that would screw up accounting.

I can top that. Hard Drivin/Race Drivin. The first polygon driving games, from about 15 years ago. The sit down version had a seat that swung inside a black covering, so all you could see was the screen in front of you. Well, this one had a dead monitor, so there was nothing to see. Black electrical tape completely over the coin slot.

Yup. Kid gets in, swings the seat completely inside this pitch-black game, peels tape off the coin slots, then comes up and asks for a refund.

Comment

I can top that. Hard Drivin/Race Drivin. The first polygon driving games, from about 15 years ago. The sit down version had a seat that swung inside a black covering, so all you could see was the screen in front of you. Well, this one had a dead monitor, so there was nothing to see. Black electrical tape completely over the coin slot.

Yup. Kid gets in, swings the seat completely inside this pitch-black game, peels tape off the coin slots, then comes up and asks for a refund.
                            I had that happen with Steel Talon (sit-down helcopter game...I think that was the name). Hard to believe people remember to breathe sometimes.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

A few of the Indonesian and Mexican stuff I have duplicates of, and won't mind giving away. But I'm not shipping.
                              ROAD TRIP!!!!!!
                              Unseen but seeing
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!
                                Ohio's the destination.

Comment

Working...
                                X