This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Juwl View Post
    What does it mean to 'scratch the clothes'?
    The clothes of the president on the bill have faint ridges and you can tell when you scratch them.
    Check out my cosplay social group!
    http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

not only that, but the texture is rather unique; there's also the raised portion of the actual monetary amount, which is printed in irridescent ink that will have a 'ridged' feel to it.

also helps to know your presidents (and ben, of course).
      look! it's ghengis khan!
      Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Gabrielle Proctor View Post
        The clothes of the president on the bill have faint ridges and you can tell when you scratch them.
        Learn yet something else new every day.

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
        also helps to know your presidents (and ben, of course).
        AND Alex as well. After all, there are TWO bills that feature non-Presidents, not just one.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

I've heard the term "raised bill" used in reference to the bleaching new printing method.

I knew about the numbers being raised, just not the clothes too. Cool.

Comment

I remember a customer we had once who called the cops on us because apparently we gave her a fake fifty. It turns out it was just an old fifty, she was looking for security features that weren't there.

Our policy is that if we find a counterfeit bill and the customer what gave it to us is gone we are to pass it on to another customer as soon as possible. Chances are it'll change hands another four or five times before someone else notices.
            You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
              Yes, it IS a raised note.
              No, what your mentioning before is bleaching, where you bleach the note of it's ink and reprint a higher denomination. Totally opposite things.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
                Did it look like a crisp new $20? I only ask, because the reason those pens work is a very simple starch/iodine reaction. The gov't uses starch free paper to print the money. So no starch = just a little tinge of yellow from the iodine. With starch, it turns that purple/black color. Some people like their money to be perfect. That means no wrinkles or bends. So what do they do? They iron it! It wouldn't be a far strech to think that some of these people would also starch their money for that extra crispyness.
                Yes, as a matter of fact, it was a crispy new bill. I know some people iron money, but it never occurred to me as a reason for the reaction. Interesting...

Joe

Comment

Come live in Australia! Our notes are made of coloured plastic, with a small clear section. The fake ones are usually printed on paper, and the clear section is just a clear bit of plastic, with no printing/hologram. Just attempt a small rip - if it rips, it's fake. Run your finger over the clear section - it should be part of the note, not glued on.
                  Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
                  Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
                  <3 Arrested Development

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
                    Throw those pens away, they are useless! I've caught a fake $50 and $100 by spotting Lincoln in the corner. And the new fake $20 had no watermark at all. What they are doing now is bleaching a small bill to print a larger on legit paper.
                    Here's a great site to learn about how to spot a counterfeit: http://www.secretservice.gov/know_your_money.shtml

I've posted it before, but a new counterfeiting thread comes up every so often, and I think it's vital for anyone in a money-handling job to know how to spot a phony note.
                    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                    My LiveJournal
                    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                      What does it mean to 'scratch the clothes'?
                      Source

One more technique that you won't find on any website: Scratch the surface of the portrait's clothing. The portrait consists of numerous fine lines, dots and dashes -- which vary in size and shape. The portrait's clothing is printed using several layers of lines -- and "strumming" this surface from bottom to top on a real bill creates noticeable vibrations felt by your index fingernail. A counterfeit bill will feel smooth and no vibrations will be detected.

The US Bureau of Engraving and Printing has a site that has several tips too.

http://www.moneyfactory.gov/newmoney...learning/about
                      Last edited by bigjimaz; 08-22-2007, 01:30 AM.
                      This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                        Here's a great site to learn about how to spot a counterfeit: http://www.secretservice.gov/know_your_money.shtml

I've posted it before, but a new counterfeiting thread comes up every so often, and I think it's vital for anyone in a money-handling job to know how to spot a phony note.
                        Thanks for the info.
                        Caution: Misspellings after Midnight

Comment

Canadian money is so much easier to detect when it comes to counterfits. Blacklight FTW.

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
                            No, what your mentioning before is bleaching, where you bleach the note of it's ink and reprint a higher denomination. Totally opposite things.
                            I really have no desire to argue with you. But it's not "totally" opposite. It's almost identical. You are "raising" the face value of the note, hence "raised note." Gluing on new corners is just the quick and easy (and stupid) way of doing it. Bleaching and reprinting accomplishes the same thing. Also called a "leached note," it's still a raised note, because the value of the original note has been raised.

That is my final say on the matter, as I have no wish to drag this any more off topic.
                            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Ok, to be honest I had heard somewhere about the President watermark thing before, but had completely forgotten until I read this.

Of course, checking my wallet, I admired the faces of Lincoln and Jackson a bit before being confused by one watermark which, I swear to whatever god the reader prefers, showed a very detailed and lifelike portrait of: Harrison Ford.

Call me crazy, but I almost expected him to pull a gun and start shooting Nazi soldiers and Imperial stormtroopers and vaguely-Russian-sounding terrorists.

That's Presidential enough for me. I say the bill is real.
                              "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

A question regarding counterfeit detection.

I pen, and visually verify the watermark on US 20's and up. I've heard before of the blacklight check, but there is also some verification system that punched tiny holes in the bill.

I have noticed the pinholes in some bills when holding them up to the light, and seem to recall one incident at a place I was visiting (possibly a govt agency?) that used this method.

Anyone familiar with these systems, and what they detect?

Mike
                                Meow.........

Comment

Working...
                                X