This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamster Apocalypse and Home Improvement

We were flooded with calls yesterday. Our General Customer Care queue backed up to something like 350 calls holding, so they opened the floodgates and we got to take those calls too. I had twice the absurdity in a single day. Whoo-freaking-hoo.

SM Sucky Man
    SW = Sucky Woman
    ME = 1 day to go til days off…
    SUP = Supervisor

Brilliant!

SM: I should be able to get a phone for free!
    ME: Your last upgrade was on 02/15/2007. You aren’t eligible for the full discount, but I can get that phone for you for $79.99.
    SM: I don’t mind paying the cancellation fee to go get a free phone from another provider.

Hmm, $79.99, or $200 + activation fees and so on with the other company. I fail to see the genius in your financial logic. How have you survived so long without even being able to afford a package of Ramen to eat once in awhile? Or do you just sustain yourself on the daily collection letters/death threats from various debtors you receive in the mail? Anyway, good luck with that.

Color Me Stupid

ME: We have 2 choices available. I can get that phone in blue or red.
    SW: What about black or grey?
    ME: Unfortunately, I don’t have either of those colors available. Only the blue and red.
    SW: I saw on the website you have that phone in grey and black
    ME: The manufacturer only makes that in 2 colors, which are blue and red. I’m looking at our website now, and they are only in red and blue. They have black on them, but they are not all-black.
    SW: Can’t I get it in grey or black?
    ME: If I had those colors available, I’d be happy to offer them to you. So would you like the blue or the red?
    SW: But I want black or grey.

Yeah, I got that the first time you said it. And I told you what I have. So we can sit here locked in an eternal stalemate, or you can pick from what options are available within the physical realm of existence. I leave the choice up to you. Take what I have, or centuries from now, when the human race has been wiped out by sentient hamsters, out furry conquerors will unearth the ruins of our decimated civilization to find you atop a pile of Twinkie wrappers, your skull forever frozen in the slack-jawed gape that was your trademark in life, and me attached to the fibrous remnants of my headset cord, still holding my trusty Gameboy.

SM: I shnt cdig gighs jsdigajnhvurgb
    ME: Um…. Hello?
    SM: I shnt cdig gighs jsdigajnhvurgb
    ME: I’m sorry?
    SM: I want dghaskdl;gjbhk
    ME: I’m having some difficulty understanding you.
    SM: I want a credit for calling my brother in Alaska.
    ME: Okay, so you called-
    SM: I called him and then I called Bell South and they said they won’t give me a credit and to call you.
    ME: Well, when you-
    SM: I want to call my brother, but I don’t want to pay those charges. I don’t like them.
    ME: …
    SM: Hello?
    ME: Yes?
    SM: So I need a credit for calling to Alaska.
    ME: Right. And you have a nationwide plan, so there is no charge to dial to Alaska.
    SM: No credit?
    ME: No, because there was no charge in the first place.
    SM: Oh. Okay.
    ME: Thanks for calling!
    SM (walks away from the phone): She said no credit. Eh hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe!

I now know what GK meant a couple weeks ago when he described a customer fellating the phone. And what was up with that spooky cackle, old man? Is this all part of your master plan? Are you trying to scare everyone out of the abandoned amusement park so you can dig for pirate gold? Watch out for those meddling kids and their dog.

Getting philosophical

SW: I call for my husband’s account. Account number is XXXXXXXXX
    ME: Okay, I do have that account here. And how can I help you?
    SW: The account number is XXXXXXXXX?
    ME: Yes.
    SW: Is that correct?
    ME: …Yes.
    SW: XXXXXXXXX?
    ME: Right.
    SW: Is it XXXXXXXXX?

YES! That’s the number. As I confirmed the first time, you were right all along. You gave the number to me to start with, then asked me if that was right. Stop asking me! Am I supposed to use a magic word to get you to desist? Yes. Uh-huh. Right-o. Confirmed. Correct. Affirmative. Ja. Si. Oui. Hai. Sho’ nuff. Hell yeah. Absotively Posilutely. Fo shizzle. Whatever you want, I’ll say it. Please, let’s just move on to the next question, I don’t have time for this again in the same day. Whatever it takes to get you off my line. I’ll give you a phone. You can have it in blue or red.

Negotiations

SW: I want a credit! I’ve never gone over my minutes before, and I’m not paying this!
    ME: The charges are valid, but we do have a plan available for the same rate with more minutes to prevent future overage.
    SW: I’m not here to negotiate. Either credit my account or I’ll cancel.

And that’s…not negotiating? It’s bitching. It’s whining. It’s a tantrum. It’s demanding. But it’s still a form of negotiation. So I guess since you don’t want to do that, we have nothing more to say to each other. Why don’t you go stand in the street and not negotiate with an oncoming bus?

Bonus: Fun with Supervisors

SW: Give me the number for your corporate office.
    ME: They don’t have a phone number.
    SW: They have to.
    ME: They only take written correspondence. I can give you the mailing address or the email address.
    SW: They don’t have anyone who talks on the phones?
    ME: No, that’s what I’m for.
    SW: Well I don’t want to talk to you. Is there a supervisor?
    ME: Yes.
    SW: Then let me talk to him. I need someone who can make a corporate decision.
    SUP: How can I help you?
    SW: Yes, I want this line canceled without a termination fee, or I’ll cancel my other line. And my sister and mother and all my friends and family have your service, and I’ll get them all to cancel too unless you help me.
    SUP: Ma’am, if you choose to terminate that line, there will be a termination fee because you just renewed your contract in July.
    SW: Look, I know there are things the company can do to satisfy a customer. That’s all I’m asking.
    SUP: But you agreed to the termination fee as part of your contract.
    SW: But you can do things on a corporate level. I work for Home Depot! I know you’ll go out of your way to make a customer happy!
    SUP: A phone company is a little different than Home Depot.

I fail to see the correlation between cell phones and home improvement. I can think of several items I could purchase at Home Depot and use on this customer to cause an excruciatingly painful and messy demise, but that’s just for my own amusement and has about as much to do with her issue as… cell phones to Home Depot.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
    Why don’t you go stand in the street and not negotiate with an oncoming bus?
    I love this line!! I need to remember it when I need a good come back for my teenager!!!

Comment

I fail to see the correlation between cell phones and home improvement.
      Ooh! Ooh! I know! They can get that phone in blue or red and then go to Home Depot and get a jar of gray or black paint and a small paintbrush and then they can get the phone in grey or black! See? It all comes together!

that’s just for my own amusement and has about as much to do with her issue as… cell phones to Home Depot.
      ooh, analogies...it's like the SAT all over again!
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

let's see...if that guy is asking to cancel his service anyway...doesn't that make him a non-customer to begin with?

Why on earth would your Sup waive the cancellation fee...to keep a NON-customer happy...?

I fail to see the logic in this.
        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

How much do we want to bet that red or blue guy simply didn't have color on the screen of his oh-so-high-tech computer, and was looking at red and blue in shades of grey. That's the only explanation I can think of.

And the phone-fellatio noise, I'm actually quite familiar with. I have a coworker that makes a similar noise with his headset, and thinks it hysterical. It was mildly funny in the beginning, now I just know it's him "answering" the phone.
          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Hmm. Let me guess. either wave the 200 dollar fee, or ill have you suddenly make lets see... 200 per line, atleast 10 lines. wow, either you give me 200 bucks or ill give you 2000 bucks. thats a hell of a deal. HAHAHA
            http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
            Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Damn it Kara! I saw your thread title and thought it was one of Gravekeepers!
              But it does sound like you got some of his callers.
              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Tell me you didn't give in to that negotiations guy, our retention department has a bit of a rep for being too soft with customers sometime and giving in to such demands. Although they recently they have been cracking down on it.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                  But it does sound like you got some of his callers.
                  Oh, GK and Kara have a tag-team thing going here. Didn't you know that?
                  I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                    Tell me you didn't give in to that negotiations guy, our retention department has a bit of a rep for being too soft with customers sometime and giving in to such demands.
                    Pfft, heck no. She canceled and said she doesn't care if we send her to collections, she's not paying the fee. Fine with me, I don't care what happens to her. But she will, with a big fat black mark next to her name whenever anyone pulls her credit report. We used to give out credits for everything, but then they decided all the millions of dollars in keeping a few customers "happy" could be better put to use by keeping the majority of customers content and bringing in more customers. So they taught us to say "No." Which is fine with me, because I can't stand letting them get their way when they're acting like bratty children. It used to cause me physical pain to issue a credit for some nonsense reason just because policy said to.

Quoth Pagan View Post
                    Yeah, I usually come up with a title beforehand, but this time I was lazy and just mashed something together after the fact. I think I'm pretty happy with the results though.

Quoth lordlundar View Post
                    Oh, GK and Kara have a tag-team thing going here. Didn't you know that?
                    Yeah, we're connected by the same thread of fate. He takes the Canadian versions of my customers, and I handle the American versions of his.
                    Last edited by Kara; 08-22-2007, 04:50 AM.
                    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                      I fail to see the correlation between cell phones and home improvement. .
                      It's easy, really. The caller was thick as a brick, and you wanted to hit him upside the head with a 2 x 4, possibly making your job go down the drain. See? A corellation to home improvement.
                      The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                      "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                      Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Right

Quoth symposes View Post
                        Hmm. Let me guess. either wave the 200 dollar fee, or ill have you suddenly make lets see... 200 per line, atleast 10 lines. wow, either you give me 200 bucks or ill give you 2000 bucks. thats a hell of a deal. HAHAHA
                        I love to see him trying to convince his relatives to take a $200 hit in the wallet just because he had to.

Blood is thicker than water, but money is thicker than blood.

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post

YES! That’s the number. As I confirmed the first time, you were right all along. You gave the number to me to start with, then asked me if that was right. Stop asking me! Am I supposed to use a magic word to get you to desist? Yes. Uh-huh. Right-o. Confirmed. Correct. Affirmative. Ja. Si. Oui. Hai. Sho’ nuff. Hell yeah. Absotively Posilutely. Fo shizzle. Whatever you want, I’ll say it. Please, let’s just move on to the next question, I don’t have time for this again in the same day. Whatever it takes to get you off my line. I’ll give you a phone. You can have it in blue or red.
                          omg when i saw tis line i thought you went insane and morphed into you GK werewolfy counterpart.....

And may i say i found even more attractive

[edit] omg im becoming becky!
                          Last edited by Sliceanddice; 08-22-2007, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                            Pfft, heck no. She canceled and said she doesn't care if we send her to collections, she's not paying the fee. Fine with me, I don't care what happens to her. But she will, with a big fat black mark next to her name whenever anyone pulls her credit report.
                            Heh. I had a co-worker that was a greedy cheapskate like that. She had just bought some cell phones from Verizon. Because she doesn't like to do research beforehand, she saw a "better" deal a week later with Nextel and decided she wanted phones that doubled as walkies. (And proceeded to annoy the crap out of me since she used the walkie function all day at work to talk to her boyfriend at full freakin' volume.) I tried not to snigger as she argued for a solid two hours with Verizon's customer service about the early termination fee. Then she tried to get me to tell her the "secret" to avoiding the fee since I used to work for Cingular. Then argued another two hours with Verizon.

Later, she said she wasn't going to pay it. I mentioned that it would put a bad mark on her credit score and she said she didn't care. She tried to pull the same thing with eBay, when her boyfriend bid on a pool table using her account, won the auction and then decided he didn't really want it. She was just not going to pay and didn't care about negative feedback. She also smugly mentioned not paying for foot surgery and was shocked when a collection agency was coming after her aggressively for it.

I won't be surprised if she whines how "unfair" it all is when she can't land a loan because her credit rating is in the toilet.
                            A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                              SW: Look, I know there are things the company can do to satisfy a customer. That’s all I’m asking.
                              But.... you're canceling your service, thus no longer want to be a customer. Why in the world would they want to do anything special for you?

Comment

Working...
                              X