This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overreacting, much?

This old man, my guess would be in his 60's, comes in, jovially requesting our $24 room. I laugh with him, assure him that we don't have a $24 dollar room, and I'll see what I can get. I pull up the Walk-In screen and start taking information. Turns out it's two rooms, he wants them connected, non smoking, etc... He finally tells me that he has a reservation. Would've been nice to know. I apologize and say I didn't know he had a reservation, and he snarks off about "That's because you didn't listen." I have a "bitch, what?" monolog in my head going on, but I pull up his reservations. He reiterates that the rooms are for $24, and I tell him that the rooms are actually $49.49, and we never give out rooms below that. When I thought he was still a walk-in, he was telling me to give him all these discounts. Senior Citizen, AARP, AAA, Tuesday Night, I'll bet your boyfriends stays here for free, right? Give me your boyfriend's discount.

And as I'm explaining to him that the rooms' are $49, he says he'll go next door. Sure, but you'll still be paying for both, since it was a reservation. He's irritated, but he's staying. So I say I need his credit card and ID. That sparks a round of bitching. He continues complaining as I enter his information. He's going to fire his secretary, for one. Fire... why? I say that I hope he doesn't, as it's not her fault. Oh yes it is. Because it's CERTAINLY her fault that she couldn't override the corporate-set rates. Then he changes his tune and says it's MY fault. I state frankly that it's not my fault either. Of course it's my fault, because I work for the company I work for.

I think that that's the most annoyed I've been with a customer for a while. Because this man didn't get a room for less than the employee rate, he's going to fire his poor secretary. Good luck to her, I hope he falls in a vat of acid. With sharks. Acid sharks.
    Last edited by NightAngel; 08-23-2007, 12:06 PM.

"Overreacting". Damnit.
    Last edited by NightAngel; 08-23-2007, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Sharks with fricken laser beams attached to their fricken heads!
      "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

The last time you could get a hotel/motel room for $24 a night was wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the early 1970's. That's back in the days of $40 a month rents & 54 cents gas.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
          The last time you could get a hotel/motel room for $24 a night was wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the early 1970's. That's back in the days of $40 a month rents & 54 cents gas.
          When he made the quip about wanting my boyfriend's discount, I told him that not even I stayed there free. The employee rate is $25 (though some people are abusing that, so it may be raised. ). He said to give him that. Hell no, sir.

Comment

Am I wrong?

Is he trying to get a lower rate than what his company pays employees for their hotel stays so he can pocket the difference?

Comment

Quoth MinimaMagistra View Post
              "Overreacting". Damnit.
              Fixed it.
              "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
              HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
                Fixed it.
                I love you.

As far as whether he's scamming or not, God only knows. He went from over-the-top joking to Worlds Worst Employer to sullen silence in rapid order. I dunno.

Comment

When he made the quip about wanting my boyfriend's discount, I told him that not even I stayed there free. The employee rate is $25 (though some people are abusing that, so it may be raised. ). He said to give him that. Hell no, sir.
                  You TOLD him the employee rate?????

I would have just said "even I don't stay here for free" and left it at that.

How rude of him.

Comment

The favorite questions of the day at any store are:

1. Do you offer a military discount?
                    No.
                    Why not?! This is a military town! Look at all the money you're missing out on!
                    (Er...yeah....the lack of a 10% discount is REALLY gonna keep these army recruits with more money than brains from dropping $1000. Riiiiight.)

2. Do you offer a senior citizen's discount?
                    No.
                    Why not?! That's discrimination against the elderly!
                    (*sigh*)

3. What about a (It's Tuesday, I'm cute, I'll give you my phone number, or any other inane reason) discount?
                    How do I put this nicely....

HELL NO!

Bonus points if they say "Well Circuit Town and Shack City offer those discounts!"

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                      Not true. You can still get them. You just don't want to BE in that part of town where you CAN get them.

Never tell them the employee rate. And besides, no, you can't give him the employee rate. Why not? he'll ask. Because, Mr. Assclown, YOU DON"T WORK HERE!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

He said to give him that. Hell no, sir.
                        Hand him an application, watch him fill it out, then tear it up in his face. "I wouldn't hire you if I was forced by law to, sir."
                        "I call murder on that!"

Comment

I would be afraid to stay in any hotel that cost $24.
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Never tell them the employee rate. And besides, no, you can't give him the employee rate. Why not? he'll ask. Because, Mr. Assclown, YOU DON"T WORK HERE!
                            I know, I shouldn't've. That was my first time with someone THAT agressively "joking". I was focused less on what I was actually saying than I was on "polite yet aloof get-him-in-his-roomness."

Also, it's very creepy to have a sixty year old man demand a boyfriend discount from you. Eeeww.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                              I would be afraid to stay in any hotel that cost $24.
                              We have them, on the strip of road. We have some very, very sketchy hotels. "Family Run" is the polite term. "No-tell Motel" is more common. This is why we charge such oh-so-terribly high prices: You're paying for a lack of hookers in the parking lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X