Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Tow Files: The Winter of YOUR Discontent!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I write with my right hand, and use the computer right handed, but pretty much anything else I can do equally well with both hands.(as for my handwriting, it's illegible. no, seriously, don't even ask me to read it for you- i can't. My school got me assessed to see if I qualified for a scribe for exams ( basically, you dictate your answers to someone who writes it down for you. For obviosu reasons, you don't sit in the exam hall with everybody else) I got a reply back saying I was approved for both extra time and a scribe in about the length of time the post takes to arrive.)

Comment

Fun fact: the word "ambidextrous" technically means "right-handed with both hands."

I'm a righty, but have been trying to increase the dexterity in my left hand to some degree over the years. Since I'm a one-man band who plays keyboards, it generally falls on my left hand to play bass lines and accompaniment as my right hand plays the melody. It can be a bit of a pain sometimes to 'train' the fingers to work a different way from what they're used to, but I've managed.

For some reason, I've almost always worn my wristwatch on my right hand as well (not quite sure where the whole "wear your watch on the wrist opposite of one you write with" thing came from). The crown being on the 'wrong' side can be annoying sometimes, but then again, I generally just take the watch off of my wrist to set it, anyway.

As for cursive, I learned it in third grade waaaaaay back in the '90s. I rarely use it for anything besides my signature, but it's a nice thing to know anyway.
      -Adam
      Goofy music!
      Old tech junk!

Comment

Quoth AdamAnt316 View Post
        For some reason, I've almost always worn my wristwatch on my right hand as well (not quite sure where the whole "wear your watch on the wrist opposite of one you write with" thing came from).
        I wear my watch on my right wrist because I don't want to feel it rubbing against the desk (table, whatever) as I write and also because putting on a watch is a one-handed task and I'm just too strongly left-handed (except for the scissors thing) to do it right-handed (which I would have to do to wear it on my left wrist).

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          He the dramatically wheeled to face us and demanded "Unhand her! Dan Backslide!!!" No, wait, that's not what he said, he said: "What's the big idea of breakin' into my car and hiding that there?!"
          He's got a lotta nerve, considering that HE'S the one who said, "I'll park here. NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!!"

Sorry. Is it too late in the thread to make that reference?
          Each one of us has a special place just like the Evergreen Forest. Enchanting, sparkling, and perfect. And, like the flowers that bloom there... fragile.

Comment

Fun fact: the word "ambidextrous" technically means "right-handed with both hands."
            My sister is lefthanded, but can do things with her right hand almost as well. She refers to herself as ambisinistrous.

I'm a righty, but have been trying to increase the dexterity in my left hand to some degree over the years. Since I'm a one-man band who plays keyboards, it generally falls on my left hand to play bass lines and accompaniment as my right hand plays the melody. It can be a bit of a pain sometimes to 'train' the fingers to work a different way from what they're used to, but I've managed.
            Q: How many bassists does it take to change a light bulb?

A: None, the keyboard player does it with his left hand.

ETA: I have no handwriting, as such, because I steadfastly refused to learn cursive writing when I was in school. I can barely sign my name, and that's the limit of the cursive I know how to write. Or course I can print quickly enough that I don't really need to write in cursive. (Although lately the nerve damage in my right arm due to radial neuropathy/carpal tunnel is making it a bit painful to write fast.)

Reading cursive, naturally, I am great at. Have to be, in order to be a pharmacist. (Insert rant about doctor's handwriting here.)

ETA again: My mother told me once, when I was a kid, that she hated the Babar The Elephant books when she was a kid, because they were all written in cursive, and it was hard for her to read.

My grandmother grew up in Hungary until age 8. She was naturally lefthanded, but the teachers there would smack you with a ruler if you picked up the pen with your left hand. As a result she confused her right with her left for all of her 85 years. When she went to her citizenship hearing to be sworn in, the judge said "Raise your right hand!" and she raised her left.
            Last edited by Shalom; 02-12-2015, 12:45 AM. Reason: added paragraph

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
              I quit writing in cursive by my 20's, including my legal signature.
              I quit writing in cursive when I started high school. Years of being told my handwriting was "sloppy" or "messy" in grade school will do that. Not my fault--I had two fingers crushed in a door when I was in second grade.

How, you ask? Simple. We were leaving for dinner one night, and I was trying to reach the garage door opener. Thinking my hand was on the door frame, I hit the button, my dad came through the door, pulled it shut, and I saw stars! Turns out my hand was in the hinge When the door was pulled shut, it crushed my ring and pinkie. Lots of blood and colorful language...plus a free ride in a police car.

Even now, it's easier to print things. Still a bit on the messy side, but usually those things are for my own reference. Otherwise, I type everything up later.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

At least you have an excuse for your handwriting.

Me, not so much.
                Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

After breaking my right wrist there are certain things I can't do with my right hand anymore, like brushing my teeth - can only use my left hand.

Other things like using a knife or operating a computer mouse I can use either hand, but writing is still right handed.

Comment

Well, sort of. "ambi" can mean "right" or "favorable," so "ambidextrous" can mean "both right" or "both favorable."

Fun fact: originally, "ambidexter" referred to a juror who took bribes from both sides for their verdict.

Comment

Thread locked - some posts (now hidden) veered right into Fratching territory, immediately following a couple of posts that brought up politics.
                      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                      X