X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth DarkCSR View Post
    CN: Five.
    SC: What? What are you talking about.
    CN: How many seconds before you're the next contestant of "Who wants a Roundhouse Kick to the Face?" It's my new reality show.
    I am *so* stealing this! (Um, please? )

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
      Traditionally, all professions, besides housekeeping and childbirth, have been held by males. Women in the workplace is a relatively new thing.
      Actually, this is untrue. Women have been actively involved in commerce, in manufacturing, and in skilled trades (albeit often in junior positions) since classical times. It was only in the Victorian era, and then only among certain social classes, that the idea of women's place being "in the home" really took hold. It was an unrealistic idea at best and depended on the labour of other women (of lower class) to take on the tasks which still needed to be done to keep the household economy going.

Traditionally female activities and occupations (many of these are integral to running a large home or an estate, but can also be done as a profession within a city, and often were):

- cloth making (spinning and weaving cloth by hand)
      - lace making (this was a HUGE economic force in the Renaissance)
      - some forms of clothing manufacture, although tailors for menswear were likely to be men.
      - embroidery and other cloth embellishment - again, hugely important in the pre-industrial economy
      - many wool merchants in the Middle Ages were women
      - brewing beer
      - bread baking - not just for the household
      - Midwife/first aid/healer
      - cheesemaking, dairying
      - laundry (this was a highly labour-intensive and skilled job before modern fabrics and washing machines)
      - Glassmaker
      - Kitchen and market gardener
      - raising chickens, ducks, geese etc for meat and eggs; raising pigs; raising or trapping rabbits; taking all of these to market.
      - Potter - this got debased in the 18th century when painted pottery came into fashion and young women were hired to paint the slips. The skill level and pay required for the job went way down. Previously, women married to male potters would often work alongside their husbands and even take over the business if they were widowed (true of coopering, wool trading and weaving as well)

It's a historical anomaly that we tried to take half of the human race out of the economic process and then got all surprised when it didn't work...

Comment

Quoth morgana View Post
        I am *so* stealing this! (Um, please? )
        Yes! Wow, someone wanting to steal my material after only a few posts. This is good!

Comment

Call me nuts (or whatever else you want to), but I actually DON'T believe in equality. I believe everyone has the same right to try to be better than everyone else, but that no one is better than anyone else by default. Everyone invest a different level of effort to better themselves than everyone else, so it's all a sliding scale.

Last I checked, species that assume uniformity die out, but the species that continue competing internally to evolve tend to thrive.

Comment

This one is heading towards Fratching at a frightening velocity.

There is no reason for anyone to be discussing their views on gender roles, equality, or feminism. If anyone feels like they simply cannot restrain themselves from voicing their opinions on these issues, take the link in my signature. Do not do it here.

Let's keep it about the SC, please.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              I cringe to think what would have happened if she had had a son??
              Get an abortion the second she found out.
              I AM the evil bastard!
              A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth froglet View Post
                Being a fairly liberal (/liberated) woman, I believe in true equality. Therefore I know that if I am stupid enough to throw a punch (unprovoked) at a guy, that I am very likely to have one come right back to me. I try to avoid being stupid.
                I dunno...I'm not above calling a big strong manly man to kill bugs and such for me...
                or my roommate, in a pinch (she's a girl and not much bigger than me).
                Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 07-24-2008, 12:14 AM.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I wonder what's gonna happen to her in jail where she sees that being a female ain't so special after all?!?

Comment

Quoth GingerBiscuit View Post
                    That woman is not a feminist. She is a violent liar who uses the 'feminist' label to justify her hatred of the opposite gender, which is probably actually based on bitterrness and self hate.

True feminists merely believe that women deserve equal treatment and pay to men (which we still haven't quite achieved) foul monsters like that give feminism a bad name.
                    Totally agreed. Labels are no excuse for acting out one's assholery on someone undeserving of it.
                    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth code-monkey View Post

On a serious note though if she considers herself so much "superior" surely the intelligent thing to do would have been to go to a register that wasn't being run by a bloke?
                      Maybe she just wanted an excuse to abuse others. I hate people like that.
                      She's not a feminist (I am, but on a fairly mild level), she's nothing more than a sexist, misandric bitch who obviously inbred to produce the piece of trash that was with her. And she also abused the label of "feminist". And it's also ironic, given that traditionally women have been check-out chicks and now men are doing it as well, if she really cared about equality, she would've been happy to see that women aren't being oppressed and forced into traditional female roles :P

If I was a male (obviously I'm not :P) and she made any comment like that to me, I would've stopped the sale, called my manager and explained it (My manager happens to be male by the way, but a good majority of FES's are female) and then refused her service with the added threat that if she tries to leave with her shopping, she'll be charged with theft and assault (for the remote).

Comment

Working...
                      X