Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hold on a minute. Explain to me why making change is a loss. Surely the money you give out in change is automatically compensated by the larger amount given to require change.

Comment

Quoth Tyg3rW01f View Post
      $15 "Change Till" is a HUGE account liability that normally winds up being a 75% loss.... wound up OWING $45 because no one tipped him and three people requested change! J. is a two-time Iraq veteran, and he had to PAY OUT because these SCs were crap...
      Yeah, I'm afraid I'm a little lost here as well. If J "owes" $45.00, (presumably he took $15.00 from the store to use as change three separate times) he gives that money to the customers in exchange for cash. Cash which J can then exchange at the store for smaller change? But when he pays out, he's using that $45.00 to do so, so no loss to him. Maybe it's just the nomenclature getting in the way, but I don't understand this at all.

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
      as to the Delivery Charge ---- in the bigger pizza chains this fee is what the company charges now for the convienance of delivery.
      At our operation, the $1.50 DF gets split. Drivers get a certain percentage of it based on what zones they ran (2 x Zone 1, 3 x Zone 2 = 2 x .75 + 3 x 1.00 for example) INSTEAD of mileage, and the rest covers the increase of delivering for the store (mostly higher insurance.) This works out better and better for the company as gas prices increase, obviously. Less so for drivers Another example of sticking employees.
      Last edited by sms001; 07-13-2013, 03:11 PM. Reason: added RM's quote

Comment

The Change Till is a loss because it does two things: provides change to the customer (be they a good'n or an SC) and it also "goes into the driver's pocket".
        My chain charges $2.50 DC, but offers ZERO in percentage. NONE. We have no zones (that I know of) and no percentage for deliveries.
        The CT "goes into the driver's pocket" in a manner of speaking as what is left at the end of shift gets counted into what you pay back to the store. In our chain, Drivers keep lockboxes where we store CC receipts and the payments from cash deliveries. All this is counted, computed by outdated(in the 90s) computers running accounting programs, and Drivers pay back in the cash what is owed the store for the shift. J never once touched his CT, but owed because his deliveries were truly SCs.
        It really sucks.
        Delivery charge doesn't go to insurance in our chain anymore because there is no longer such a thing as a Full-Time driver at our chain. I'd know, I've seen two schedules, and NO ONE gets more than 23 hours a week, not even the managers. Hence, no need whatsoever for insurance of any sort beyond damage to the store.
        Last edited by Dips; 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM.

Comment

TW - I'm still trying to figure that out. If they give the driver a $15 CT/bank at the start of the shift, and then collect "$15 CT plus sales minus gas/commish", there should be no possible way for a driver to have a net loss unless they got shorted by a customer...
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Delivery charge doesn't go to insurance in our chain anymore because there is no longer such a thing as a Full-Time driver at our chain. I'd know, I've seen two schedules, and NO ONE gets more than 23 hours a week, not even the managers. Hence, no need whatsoever for insurance of any sort beyond damage to the store.
            I think you misunderstood about the insurance thing. I meant liability insurance on the delivery drivers not health insurance. Most people who sue over accidents go after the "deep pockets enitity". In this case it would be your owner or the franchise corporation not a delivery driver.

If your chain or franchise owner has ANY business sense they will have Non-owned vehicle insurance to shield them in case they get sued if a driver is involved in an accident (even IF the driver is NOT at fault). Even IF your owner is a Corporation, their assets are at risk if sued.

It should not matter whether a driver is full time, part time or just works 1 hour a week.
            Last edited by Dips; 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM.
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              should be no possible way for a driver to have a net loss unless they got shorted by a customer...
              Yeah, that's the only way I can figure it, unless the store makes you pay all cash for charges/checks that don't get run until later, at which time the store pays you back? That would be insane though.

I meant liability insurance on the delivery drivers not health insurance.
              That's what I meant too, RM. And I believe there are higher premiums for the mandatory workers' compensation percentage employers pay when they have off-site workers, especially drivers.

Comment

I always wonder if I'm a good tipper or not when it comes to pizza. Hubs and I generally order 3 pizzas. We're a block away from the store and live on the third floor (no elevator). I give $2 or $3 per pizza ($6 - $9 total). Is that ok, or am I a cheap jerk?
                Last edited by thatcrazyredhead; 07-17-2013, 06:52 PM.
                "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

redhead -- Sounds good to me ^_^

when I slung pizzas back in the 90's, the average tip (at our best store in town, smack dab in an area within spitting distance of wealthy patrons) was $2.50. A decade later, they had moved several blocks away (for reasons I cannot fathom) to a location that still serves the same customers, but is in a semi-bad neighborhood (also, they are now close enough to the "the cops are afraid to patrol there" area that they cannot really refuse to deliver there)....Average tips had dropped to $1.50.

When it's just me and/or one other person, say, a 2 pie order, yeah, $2-3 is awesome If I am in a group with a bunch of friends, I just say, "OK, everybody who's eating, chip in a dollar for the tip". That way, nobody is out much money (aside from the cost of food) and it makes the driver happier about balancing that big stack of boxes ~_~
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
                    I always wonder if I'm a good tipper or not when it comes to pizza. Hubs and I generally order 3 pizzas. We're a block away from the store and live on the third floor (no elevator). I give $2 or $3 per pizza ($6 - $9 total). Is that ok, or am I a cheap jerk?
                    Being a deliveryman (YES, I use politically IN-correct phraseology! don't like it, BITE ME!), I appreciate EVERY tip except spare change (i.e. LESS than $1). Tipping $2 to $3 per pizza is better than most people in my area by a magnitude of 30. So feel better, but please consider tipping 10% in the future.

That being said, what most folks do not know is the fact your pizza-guy/gal AND your waiter/waitress make the exact same amount... And they both work less than 25 hours a week...
                    ...Pizza delivery pays $4.15 an hour, with the rest of your min-wage covered by your tips.
                    Same goes for wait-staff... except your waiter/waitress has to suffer the added Co practice of "TIP SHARE" in which they have to split their every tip with EVERYBODY ELSE, illegal Mexican dishwashers included.

In other words, the next time you get bad service, chalk it up to the fact your waiter/pizza-guy is paid far too little to cover the exact same bills you have to pay, AND they also get 1/4 the hours you do per pay period.

Comment

WEDNESDAY...

I was getting an order ready to Oscar-Mike my skinny white butt out the door, (ask your local modern-day veteran what Oscar-Mike means) when two customers got out of their truck, entered the store...
                      ...ordered THIRTY pizzas, using our carry-out deal...
                      ...and wanted them in THIRTY MINUTES!!!
                      My boss, who was taking the order, looked at these two and couldn't speak, his mind had been so thoroughly blown. It takes EIGHT minutes to stretch, sauce, top, bake, box, and serve a single large hand-tossed pizza!!
                      To make matters EVEN WORSE, they wanted SUPREME pizzas... which take ten minutes each.

I wasn't there for the rest, as I had an order to deliver, but YIKES.

P.S. I hold nothing against folks with "more to love", but when your truck pulls up a lo-rider, and ISN'T one when you and your pal get out, uuuuuuuuuuummmmmm....
                      Last edited by Tyg3rW01f; 08-16-2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Quoth thatcrazyredhead View Post
                        I always go with standard restaurant tipping - 10-15% of the total bill, up to 20-25% in bad weather. YMMV, but given that they make food service minimum wage and work about as hard if not harder I think the normal compensation is justified (if anything they should get more).

The Change Till is a loss because it does two things: provides change to the customer (be they a good'n or an SC) and it also "goes into the driver's pocket".
                        My chain charges $2.50 DC, but offers ZERO in percentage. NONE. We have no zones (that I know of) and no percentage for deliveries.
                        The CT "goes into the driver's pocket" in a manner of speaking as what is left at the end of shift gets counted into what you pay back to the store. In our chain, Drivers keep lockboxes where we store CC receipts and the payments from cash deliveries. All this is counted, computed by outdated(in the 90s) computers running accounting programs, and Drivers pay back in the cash what is owed the store for the shift. J never once touched his CT, but owed because his deliveries were truly SCs.
                        So I'm still fuzzy on this one. The store gives each employee $15 in cash each time they go out. If the employee uses the $15 to make change, the bills they made change for go back to the store, reducing the $15 by whatever they payed out. Then when the employee gets back, they're required to give the store back $15 cash, making up whatever change they used out of pocket? That seems... illegal. Do they pay the employees back this amount later, or are they just extorting change-making money from their minimum wage, less-than-full-time-hours staff?

WEDNESDAY...

I was getting an order ready to Oscar-Mike my skinny white butt out the door, (ask your local modern-day veteran what Oscar-Mike means) when two customers got out of their truck, entered the store...
                        ...ordered THIRTY pizzas, using our carry-out deal...

P.S. I hold nothing against folks with "more to love", but when your truck pulls up a lo-rider, and ISN'T one when you and your pal get out, uuuuuuuuuuummmmmm....
                        What, you've never seen two people eat 30 pizzas in a sitting before?

Comment

I posted this previously, but the local pizza joint that's the only one that does delivery, now actually answers the phone with "Hello Mr. Ophbalance" when we call. And the reason why? We appear to be pretty much the only one that tips .
                          But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                          And it's not what I wanted to be
                          The weight on me
                          Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

A friend was over at my place and we decided to order pizza. The pizza + sodas was about $17. My friend wanted to pay for it. When it came he wanted the change back.... from a twenty!!

Now, I order from this pizza place often. They know my address and phone #. They know I tip at least 20%. They are never rude, rarely late and only messed up my order twice in 5yrs. I was NOT about to lose my hard earned title of "The Customer Who Actually Fucking Tips!" and my badge of "Tips At Least 20%!" I dated a pizza guy once. I heard the horror stories damnit!

My friend and I argued in front of the poor delivery guy about tipping. In the end I gave the driver the change from the twenty and a fiver. I gave my friend a lecture after the driver left

EDIT:
                            Forgot to add this: http://www.onlineconversion.com/tip_calculator.htm. Great site to calculate tips or get an idea what you should be tipping!
                            Last edited by Insomnia; 08-17-2013, 01:59 AM. Reason: I'm a doofus!

Comment

That being said, what most folks do not know read: DO NOT CAREis the fact your pizza-guy/gal AND your waiter/waitress make the exact same amount... And they both work less than 25 hours a week...
                              ...Pizza delivery pays $4.15 an hour, with the rest of your min-wage covered by your tips.
                              Same goes for wait-staff... except your waiter/waitress has to suffer the added Co practice of "TIP SHARE" in which they have to split their every tip with EVERYBODY ELSE, illegal Mexican dishwashers included.

In other words, the next time you get bad service, chalk it up to the fact your waiter/pizza-guy is paid far too little to cover the exact same bills you have to pay, AND they also get 1/4 the hours you do per pay period. add into that that drivers also have to cover our own car repairs and maintenance, insurance, and other repated expences
                              To add to this see my thread about one of our drivers who in the last 2 weeks has been robbed and seriously beaten all for sub-sub-minimum wage.

Quoth Insomnia View Post
                              A friend was over at my place and we decided to order pizza. The pizza + sodas was about $17. My friend wanted to pay for it. When it came he wanted the change back.... from a twenty!!

Now, I order from this pizza place often. They know my address and phone #. They know I tip at least 20%. They are never rude, rarely late and only messed up my order twice in 5yrs. I was NOT about to lose my hard earned title of "The Customer Who Actually Fucking Tips!" and my badge of "Tips At Least 20%!" I dated a pizza guy once. I heard the horror stories damnit!

My friend and I argued in front of the poor delivery guy about tipping. In the end I gave the driver the change from the twenty and a fiver. I gave my friend a lecture after the driver left

EDIT:
                              Forgot to add this: http://www.onlineconversion.com/tip_calculator.htm. Great site to calculate tips or get an idea what you should be tipping!
                              Deliver driver across the US rejoice in people like you who try and combat ignorant and cheap friends and aquaintances with lectures and education.
                              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Deliver driver across the US rejoice in people like you who try and combat ignorant and cheap friends and aquaintances with lectures and education.
                                You are most welcome! My friend thought that the delivery fee WAS the tip I never worked as a waitress or delivery driver or a job where you practically live off tipping but I had friends who have. Plus I believe in 'you get what you give' if the service is good then tip good.

Comment

Working...
                                X