Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I canna' change the laws of corsets!! (massively long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I canna' change the laws of corsets!! (massively long)

Set the scene: I was working at a high-end lingerie store. We had one big fitting room that was meant to accommodate brides and their entourages, both for registry try-ons and to allow for wedding gowns to be tried on with foundation garments. I had bridal duty quite frequently.

Lots of the brides were great. Some we would like to blast off the face of the Earth. And then there was The Queen. She was absolutely the most memorable of a relatively memorable job.

She was not fat, but voluptuous, and quite tall. But her mannerisms were strange -- she acted like a little girl, all fake-blushing, giggling and shy eyes. She was registered with us, so I'd helped her with that -- and she would have this weird high-pitched voice when she'd exclaim that she couldn't wear *that*, it was just too *naughty*. And then the risque thong or see-through nighty would go on the registry anyway. And she did this every.single.time. But she was sweet through most of it.

Until. The Corset.

Her mom had booked an appointment so they (and by “they” I mean mom, and a gaggle of aunts and cousins) could find a corset Queen could wear with her dress. So they file in with this white-shrouded thing, and I lace Queen into a corset. Meanwhile, they’ve unveiled the magic gown. It was exquisite and very obviously expensive.

And there was no freaking way this was gonna work.

Not only was the dress too small – I’m guessing at maximum a size 10, and Queenie was a size 14 easy – it was of thin, flowy silk and chiffon meant to cling all the way down. Truthfully, you would have to be a supermodel to look good in this gown. Even panties would have left visible lines – let alone a steel-boned corset with a knot of corset strings at mid-back.

Because it was bias cut, it actually did go over Queenie’s frame … somewhat. It absolutely could not be zipped up, and instead of hitting the ground it stopped about mid-shin and then the train was kind of flopping after. The lumps and bumps from the corset were totally visible.

And the mom takes a deep breath and looks at me and says “What can you do?” All I could do was shake my head and look at her with an expression of genuine regret.

That’s when Queenie erupted. She was mad. And loud. And swearing. "YOU TOLD ME THIS DRESS WOULD WORK WHEN WE GOT IT IN MY SIZE! THIS IS NOT MY SIZE! NOW I’M TOTALLY FUCKED!"

And she grabs the neckline of the dress and literally rips it in two halves down past her waist, then continues to swear loudly when her legs get tangled up in slippery silk charmeuse. She cursed her mother for insisting on that particular dress. She cursed the bridal shop for getting the wrong size. She cursed her aunts for not reining in her mother. She cursed me for not producing a magic undergarment that would transform her into the kind of stick figure that would look good in the dress. And then she actually managed (and this was a feat, mind you, because these things were built *strong*) to tear the corset in her rage to get it off.

So she’s standing there, with the corset still on but gaping open, and underwear – that’s it (not counting the wreckage of a gown worth thousands of dollars foaming around her ankles). Her hair is wild, and her chest is heaving (an impressive sight!). She’s finally run out of curses.

And we’re all just kind of looking at each other. And we just … start to laugh. All of us. Some of the cousins were still a little confused but Queenie, Mom and I were all doubled over hysterical.

If you’ve noticed that I didn’t call her a Bridezilla, it’s because – even after the irritating little-girl crap and the audible-throughout-the-store-and-possibly-the-state tantrum – I really got the idea that she had a major epiphany. She was tired of trying to be everyone’s picture of a perfect little bride. I kind of suspect I would have liked the new/real Queenie, even though the one I was dealing with was kinda sucky.

(Plus, they paid for the torn corset and bought another one, and nearly all the stuff on her registry was bought too – the purchase of more than $1,000 worth of lingerie, no matter how scanty, will cover a multitude of sins. )

TL/DR - Irritating bride melts down when corset won't help her fit into wedding dress; shreds dress, screams and curses, but then much commission.

Well, first, great story! Your writing is very vivid and enjoyable!

Second, I think Queenie was probably stressed out not only from the wedding prep but, like you said, from trying to live up to what she thought she "should" be as a bride. Nothing wrong with being thin, but there's nothing wrong with curvy, either! All the frustration and stress must have finally made her snap, and she just Let. It. All. Out!

I hope she found another dress that made her look fantastic. And you did an amazing job of handling this very high-maintenance lady!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

"Think you know about pain? Try wearing a corset!" [cookies for ref]

Comment

Curvy women are a lot more fun. I should know... I married one!

Comment

Yeah, one thing I forgot to mention was that almost all of her family (at least, the women) were tiny. I have to think she'd been brought up thinking of herself as some kind of clumsy giant.

I do believe the bridal shop screwed up and gave her the wrong-sized dress. But the style was totally wrong for her. I have always wondered what she ended up with; hopefully something magnificent that suited her. I was actually reminded of her when I saw the trailer for "My Big Fat Greek Wedding II," though the family wasn't Greek, it was a similar dynamic.

She wasn't the only bride to pitch a bitch because we couldn't find a garment that would shrink them two sizes (and I have many other stories of true Bridezillas who truly earned the term) but it's been years and I still remember Queenie. I hope her marriage turned out well!

(Thanks for the kind words, MoonCat And MontereyJack, Miss Swann was wrong - a well-fitted, well-made corset can actually be pretty comfortable, especially if worn consistently. But I always pitied brides who had never worn them before and then were cinched into one that was too tight and had to endure that throughout a day that was already going to be hectic, emotional and intense.)
          Last edited by wordgirl; 02-13-2016, 02:16 PM.

Comment

The proper shape of corset can take a woman who is voluptuous and make her look amazing.
            Actually, the proper shape of corset for her body can make any woman look amazing. Doesn't matter what shape you start with; a corset that's the right design and size for you can enhance what you have.

Add a dress that's ... well. Some clothes wear you. You want a dress where you wear it. As in, the gown is secondary, the person is primary.

With the proper corset for you, and a dress like that, every woman can be her own Goddess. No matter whether you're a columnar Diana/Artemis, a muscular Minerva/Athene, or a voluptuous Venus/Aphrodite. Or any of the other shapes women can be.

Edit to add: also, the right corset can be amazingly supportive if you happen to be well endowed. Much, much better than any bra I've ever worn. Sadly, also much more expensive.
            Last edited by Seshat; 02-14-2016, 02:37 AM.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth wordgirl View Post
              Yeah, one thing I forgot to mention was that almost all of her family (at least, the women) were tiny. I have to think she'd been brought up thinking of herself as some kind of clumsy giant.
              Oh, boy can I sympathize with that.

My mother's family are all tiny, barely 100 pound women (my mother's gained a bit of weight, but she was 5'4" and 89 pounds before she got pregnant with me). My father's family are all linebacker types. My sisters took after my mother's side. I took after my father's. I grew up thinking I was this huge, gigantic, fat beast. I look back on pictures and realize I was really quite lean. These days, I'm just fat, but I can change that. What I can't change is the fact that even at my leanest, I'm still quite big.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                The proper shape of corset can take a woman who is voluptuous and make her look amazing.
                ...Now I want a corset. I wonder if I could get one that laces up in front...?
                Last edited by MadMike; 02-15-2016, 03:12 AM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                  Is it weird that I was thinking the same thing, lol?! As far as body shapes, I also take after my dad's side. My mom's side is taller and slender. My grandma on her side stayed around 5' 9" and slim until she died. My dad's side is shorter and compact. My grandma on my dad's side started at maybe 5' and is now at least a few inches shorter. I'm 5' 5", and my dad is probably 5' 7" if I'm being generous. It's okay if I take after him, though. He's very fit. Though I would trade the shoulders. And the calves. Serious, I'm hovering at 120-125 and have weight-lifter calves. I don't mean to complain too much, but there's just always something, right?

Based on the OP, I'm picturing some amazing Valkyrie going crazy and then calming down. Perhaps at the end there might be mead or ale?
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth wordgirl View Post
                    I do believe the bridal shop screwed up and gave her the wrong-sized dress.
                    From what you mentioned about the Momzilla needing to be reigned it, it could very well have been the case that the bride-to-be was measured at size 14, but Mom later went back and insisted that she was "A ten, at MOST!" later on -- either her, or the girl herself may have done that.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                      Yes, absolutely.

It's also possible to get corsets that use fastenings other than laces, but laces allow more adjustment than almost any other kind of fastening.

That said, most corsets fasten in the back because that allows them to have the busk in the front centre, between the breasts. The busk is the most load-bearing part of the corset, and having it there allows most of the shaping to be in the front.

A corset is actually a piece of three dimensional engineering made of fabric and flexible spring-stuff: modern corsets are flexible synthetics or spring steel. Formerly the best corsets used 'whalebone', which was actually baleen (neither bone nor tooth, it's the structural part of the sieve-organ through which baleen wheels filter krill and plankton).

Using a centre-front busk corset as an example, the corset is constructed with the strongest piece of structural spring going along the centre-line on the body. Strong, woven fabric, usually one of the stronger weaves of cotton, is the structural fabric.

All pieces of structural fabric are cut very strictly to the line of the weave, because if the fabric is slanted, that panel of the corset will pull out of shape. And if one panel pulls out of shape, the whole corset will gradually pull out of shape.

In a corset for a columnar woman, most pieces will have the centre of the panel being the point where the weave is orthogonal to the floor. The curve of the bust and the curve of the hip will seem like projections from the central piece.

In someone as .. um .. valkyrie-ish as me, that sort of still applies, it's just that the curves are more extreme. And in some of the side panels, the whole panel looks diagonal if you look at it without the context of the whole corset.

Sewn at each panel seam is another structural spring. These help keep the corset vertically supported, and give each panel something to pull on other than directly pulling on the neighbours - they spread the load.

At the waist of the corset is a piece of twill tape, or some similar material. This is there so that you can put the corset on loosely, do enough hip-wiggling to make a belly-dancer stare, and the corset will find its natural waist. Or rather, the twill tape will fall into the same place every time, so that once you have a corset that fits you, it should always fit you. (Unless you go through a major change of shape, of course.)

Once a corset has wrapped past the sides, it needs fewer pieces: unless the corset actually goes as far down as the thighs, there's much less shaping in the back. As long as it's comfortable under the arms, you can even let some of the side panels wrap to the back, or back panels wrap to the side.
                      But if you mess with the bust panels, the whole corset sits wrong and can be uncomfortable as hell.

Anyway: corset designers (engineers?) can and will make front-opening corsets. They're just more difficult to engineer, and less forgiving of shape changes.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Wow, Seshat, you know your corsets! This was at a time when corsets were not nearly as mainstream as they are now. This particular model was constructed mostly of cotton coutil with a satin facing. It ripped in two places - the satin facing came out in the front and the back tore by the grommets. Anything damaged like that, we could pack up and ship back to England and it would be replaced, so we weren't going to make her pay for it but they insisted.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                        From what you mentioned about the Momzilla needing to be reigned it, it could very well have been the case that the bride-to-be was measured at size 14, but Mom later went back and insisted that she was "A ten, at MOST!" later on -- either her, or the girl herself may have done that.
                        I think Mom's major fault was that she pushed for a gown that really would not work with Queenie's body shape - an unconstructed, bias-cut dress of thin and clingy fabric. Think of the wedding dresses you've seen that look like very lavish nightgowns. You have to be very slender and bump-free to wear them well.

But it could well have been a vanity call. I did wonder if they tried taking it back but unfortunately I never got an update on that. I tend to think not, based on the fact that they paid us for the damaged corset.

Comment

Quoth Monterey Jack View Post
                          "Think you know about pain? Try wearing a corset!" [cookies for ref]
                          Elizabeth Swann in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Yay! Another bridal industry professional! I do alterations and am frequently telling larger women that buying a gown 2-3 sizes too small and converting it to a corset back is not an alternative to wearing proper foundation garments. They ignore me because clearly they know better, and then lament the side boob spillage, misplaced princess seams and bongo bosoms that would have been fixed by proper support.

And don't get me started on Spanx tummy and the multitude of women who are OK with a muffin top as long as their ass looks smooth.

Comment

Rofl Fenig, don't get me started on the muffin top! There's a group of girls that frequent my buddy's bar that he's taken to calling the muffintop gang. Belly button exposing tops and jeans/leggings as tight as possible. Jeans tight enough they have to assist each other in the bathroom to get the pants back on. Just wtf, eh?

Comment

I was taking a yoga class at work, and the instructor told us to tuck our tailbones down by rotating our hips like we were zipping up jeans. All the guys in the class just kind of stared, dumbfounded, like "What is THAT supposed to mean? You grab the tab and pull; what do your hips have to do with anything?"

On the SC: At least the SC seemed to reform herself by the end of the session after a her meltdown; by the standards of this board, she practically deserves an award!

Comment

Working...
                              X