This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Liz View Post
    Thanks. It's interesting what you said about vitamins.
    I've been doing some research for a book proposal I'm working on (kitchen survival for ADD & dyslexia :P). There's a significant amount of evidence that people with ADD or learning disabilities may be more vulnerable to dietary deficiencies than other people. B complex vitamins and Omega fatty acids are particularly important - these are involved in the physical formation and functioning of nerve cells. Seems those of us on the LD/ADHD spectrum burn through these molecules faster than other folks. We are also more likely to have food allergies or intolerances. These do not *cause* the cognitive problems, but they can make them worse.

There will never be a purely dietary "cure" for LD/ADHD, but there definitely seems to be a good basis for using a balanced diet and vitamin/mineral supplementation as *part* of managing it. (Other parts - for ADHD at least - are exercise, cognitive-behavioural therapy, and medications as prescribed by a doctor familiar with ADHD).

I look at it as running a temperamental engine on the best fuel possible. I had a 1986 car that would stall and die when I gave her the cheap gasoline, but she ran OK on 94 octane with a fuel line cleaner

Comment

My brother had ADHD when he was young. He hated taking the Ritalin and therefore would skip it and throw a fit whenever he could. But his therapist had him doing something called bio-feedback. I don't know alot about it, as I was never allowed to watch (no distractions), but my brother described it as a kind of video game. He said if he didn't focus the lights would flash really fast and there would be all kinds of noises driving him crazy, but as he focused the lights and noises would slow down. Either the bio-feedback worked, or he grew out of the ADHD, but he is no longer medicated, and maintaining a 4.0 GPA in college, whereas he barely graduated high school.

He does say that sometimes he "feels his mind go crazy" and that he just goes back to the techniques they taught him in the bio-feedback and that keeps things under control.
      The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
        My brother had ADHD when he was young. .... his therapist had him doing something called bio-feedback.
        Yes, there's been some interesting research there too! Glad it worked for your brother.

It used to be thought that people grew out of ADHD, but now it seems more likely that people (like your brother) develop good coping mechanisms so that the underlying brain chemistry/wiring differences don't have as much of an impact. Hyperactivity tends to decrease over time, while inattentiveness and sequencing difficulties can increase.

I'm not medicated myself, although there are days I'd really, really like to have *something* to help out. Today is one of those days, argh. I am in the process of finding a doctor who can deal with adult ADD - my current doc doesn't believe in it and won't accept my PSYCHOLOGIST's diagnosis...

There are a lot more medications available now, too, which is great for those who have difficulties with Ritalin. I'm looking into Strattera, a non-stimulant med that's shown good results in women and girls with ADD.

Comment

Quoth PhotoChick View Post
          We have a evening cashier who is deaf. He reads lips and most of us communicate that was plus lots of hand motions. He's a great guy but he has this "wonderful" habit of walking up behind a cashier when their back is turned and pounding a fist on the counter to make them jump. I understand that HE can't hear loud noises but the rest of us can.
          That is a very common prank among Deaf kids. My ASL teacher would have it pulled on her often when she was teaching at a school for the Deaf.

(yes, I'm currently studying to be a Sign Language Interpreter)

Comment

Quoth Reyneth View Post
            That is a very common prank among Deaf kids.
            Some do it as a prank (very much like spooking a person by loud noise). Other just do it so they can feel the vibration (as a way to know that it made noise).

When I want to get a hearing folk attention, I do the quiet voice thing until the 3rd or 4th time. Then I do my grandpa's voice (you know the one, loud and low for grandpa to hear ya). When getting deaf folks attention it's quite easy, flash the lights

Good luck on that ASL thing Even if you're not religious, you'll find a deaf church to be a good place to learn to interpret. I've taught a few folks who ended up learning ASL very well just by sitting and "interpret" along with the main interpreters.
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post

There are a lot more medications available now, too, which is great for those who have difficulties with Ritalin. I'm looking into Strattera, a non-stimulant med that's shown good results in women and girls with ADD.
              There's a new methyphenidate patch now (same active ingredient as ritalin and concerta).

I wonder if you're supposed to put it over the kid's mouth

Comment

I actually had the opposite happen at my store...

One of the girls on register was complaining to me about how rude the customer was that she had just served. "He didn't even say hello or thank you or anything, and he was looking right at me! Some people!" etc.
                I looked at the customer and then quickly informed the girl that in fact, this man was one of our regulars who was a lovely man who was completely deaf.
                She went bright red and quickly shut up.
                "Those who do not complain are never pitied." - Jane Austen.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                  There's a new methyphenidate patch now (same active ingredient as ritalin and concerta).

I wonder if you're supposed to put it over the kid's mouth
                  Hee! I am sure that the temptation would be there!!

I'm afraid to have kids myself, given that ADHD runs so strongly in my family... even if they turned out NOT to have it, *I* would lose them or something!

Comment

Thanks Buglady. Sounds like a valuable book.

Comment

Quoth Luna View Post
                      What those co-irkers did to you Repsac is harrassment. Please tell me you don't work there still?
                      I've had conversations with CHILDREN (I don't care how old these two were, that behavior is childish with a capital "C") that were short and sweet.

Yes, the following is a direct quote. I've given this little speech several times. Yes, it does get old.

<brief, blunt outline of the behavior in question>

Behavior like this constitutes a "hostile work environment." As the manager of the store, "I" can be held liable for that, and spend the next six months talking to lawyers.

If "I" am going to be held liable for "your" behavior then "I" am not going to held liable for "your" continued employment. "You" caused this problem,"you" fix this problem or "you" are gone. This is not a discussion. "I" am not asking for opinions. Such behavior is not acceptable and "I" will not tolerate it. Do "you" both understand? The correct response is, "Yes, Tony. We understand, Tony. I promise this will never happen again, Tony."

Here endeth the lesson.

As an aside, this behavior seems to be perpetrated most by children who were the "cool kids" in school, who spent years picking on the lame, the halt, the slow, and the "different." Finding out that such behavior won't fly anymore seems to hit some of these children right in the snotlocker, hard.

The only enjoyable part of the process. Sometimes you can salvage a presentable human being while you're at it
                      I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                        As an aside, this behavior seems to be perpetrated most by children who were the "cool kids" in school, who spent years picking on the lame, the halt, the slow, and the "different." Finding out that such behavior won't fly anymore seems to hit some of these children right in the snotlocker, hard.
                        Tony, I want to work for you!
                        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                        My LiveJournal
                        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Just trying to be a Force for Good in My Time.
                          I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

I've been hearing impaired since I was two years old. I have some type of fracture in my ears that cause it to leak fluid and killed the nerve. Which is strange, considering that I've never had any head injuries or ear infections.

Anyway, I can lip read very well. Sound for me, is usually a way to back up what I'm reading. So when a customer comes through that doesn't enunciate their words, basically all I hear is, *mumble mumble mumble*, and since I can't read what they're saying then I don't understand them at all.

I don't think my employees at work and my supervisors understand what I have to go through all the time. They don't realize that I have to try 200% harder than someone else of normal hearing to get where I am now. (I'm the best in my department.)

What's really cool is that there are a couple of little kids that are hearing impaired too, and they always come through my lane to talk to me and have a conversation. We always have fun. They brighten my day.

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                              My husband, especially when very tired, has an oddity in his speech recognition. He'll be aware that I'm talking to him, trying to understand me, and completely unable to parse speech. Yes, I'm speaking clearly, and in English (the only language either of us is fully fluent in).
                              I have that too. When I'm tired, especially REALLY tired, and someone is talking to me, I'll be like "Wtf? Are you speaking English? I didn't understand a word you just said!" Well, I actually wouldn't say that out loud, I'd usually just say, "What? I'm sorry, I'm tired."
                              And when I'm tired beyond all hope of being "revived", I cannot comprehend anything. I hear sounds that could be words, but I don't understand them period. They just sound like an alien language to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X