Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religious SC Behavior thread (Three part)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had someone today, funnily enough, who did just that. I was scanning their stuff in silence as they'd made it clear that they didn't want to talk when out of the blue, the woman said, "Have you discovered the love of Jesus?" WTF??? I replied, as nicely as I could, "I'm an atheist." She seemed to take great offense at this, neither looking at me or speaking to me, but she didn't make a complaint, luckily.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth ihatethenba68
      I have some good stories on religous people. Last summer, I worked a Catholic conference and I hated it. I hated hearing them whine about the parking fee, or how my soul needs saving. This summer, I worked Joyce Meyer and some people were very nice and kept their beliefs to themselves while others were just stupid. One person asked me if I had found Jesus, I replied with "Nope, I worship Raptor Jesus." The look on the person's face was priceless.

I found a great way to deal with JWs. One is use your big dog to your advantage. I have a greyhound and he is bigger than most dogs; his head reaches my hip and I'm 6'2. When he stands on his hind legs he about my height; he is very friendly and wouldn't harm a fly. One day a JW came to my door, I answered the door and was about to tell him I wasn't interested until he saw my dog. He started his spiel but my dog ran after him scaring the JW away.
      Scared of a sighthound? If your dog is like mine, he thinks everyone is there to play with him!

Back on topic, I do not mind an occasional prayer card but starting to argue religion would be a very very bad idea at work. I do not honestly care what religion a customer practices (or a coworker): all I want is to avoid an SC or co-Irker. It is a bad reflection on the religion one claims to practice if one acts like a jackass "to spread the word."
      Last edited by csdrone; 07-21-2006, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Quoth JustAGirl
        If the subject bothers him so much, why is he reading it?
        Should Wonton have to read it?

As far as I am concerned, if it happens at work, fine. If not, then it's going to end up in the usual case of us having to warn people as fights break out and any people of faith feeling under attack.

I don't care if anyone has a religious faith - that's their business. I won't offend against it knowingly, and I suspect I should have stepped into this a little earlier.

If someone logs on to preach on here, we'll step in, but otherwise I don't want anyone feeling like they or people they identify with are the object of mockery.

Well, unless they're sucky customers of course - they're always fair game, but who thinks of themselves as a sucky customer?

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth WonTon
          Why is it okay for you guys to gripe about people (SC's) being rude to you, but you can rude to anyone you want by choice? See what I'm saying?
          Well, I've been on both sides of the door. And if you think being the victim of religious sucky behavior is bad, just imagine what it's like being on the other side of the door in a place that's had sucky religious nuts in the past. Especially when you're quite willing to understand that others have their own beliefs, and actually understand that "Not interested" means "Please go away."

And actually, this topic has been rather unique. Usually, when someone complains about prostelytism, it's followed immediatly by rather banal stories about "how I got them off my doorstep" that the writers think are rather amazingly clever, but, honestly, aren't; plus a number of posts bashing religion in general or specific religions, followed by counterbashing, counter-counterbashing, ad infinitum.

While this topic has had some banal posts, it's also actually had some clever or interesting ones, as well, which is a real change from the way it usually goes, and so far, not a single anti-religious post I can recall, which is a real tribute to the way the board as a whole has been run.

Comment

I think you're kinda of missing Wonton point. Which was some people were posting ways they "get even" with a "religion pushers" (please don't take it as an offense, it was the only generic term I could come up with.) to make them go away. When you're at your house, in the street. You have options, such as closing the door, etc... But instead, some post were proudly doing SCish behavior which offended Wonton. Which I can understand that point of view and will even respect it. To be honest some post in this thread were starting to offend me (got a high offend point) because everyone has someone they know or family that are part of religion that have "pushers". I'm able to laugh at my own religion "mis-steps" or lack of "social restraint", but not everyone can do this.

Something funny unintentionally happen is one thing, to go out of your way to make "fun" of "religion pushers" in their face is another. Which to some people might equate to you intentionally bashing their religion.
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth Gurndigarn
              While this topic has had some banal posts, it's also actually had some clever or interesting ones, as well, which is a real change from the way it usually goes, and so far, not a single anti-religious post I can recall, which is a real tribute to the way the board as a whole has been run.
              We've done some trimming. We want to keep it to customers or colleagues trying to convince you of their beliefs in the workplace and not spill out into general religion bashing. It just spills out into bad feeling, since some members here have religious convictions and others don't - it seems to polarise along those lines.

We're having to keep it simple on the grounds of keeping the peace on the board.

Rapscallion

Comment

Sorry - not work related, so deleting. Rapscallion
                Last edited by Rapscallion; 07-22-2006, 03:33 PM.

Comment

My wonderful dealings with Jw

Hi . I'll introduce myself more later, right now I'll just say I work customer service at an insurance company, which we get our fair share of SC's.

*This bit snipped since it didn't happen at work - Rapscallion*

Oh, on another note I once got a phone call from a JW at work. They have taken to calling people on the phone!! I did debate a little with that woman,mainly cause she wasnt in front of me.

*This bit snipped since it didn't happen at work - Rapscallion*
                  Last edited by Rapscallion; 07-22-2006, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Since making the site news yesterday, I've had to edit two threads regarding religious proselytising that wasn't at work. Folks, it just ends up in a slapfest if it's anything other than an incident at work.

Any more require editing and I or someone on the mod team will close the thread.

Rapscallion

Comment

• Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire
                      It was Bill Engvall. However Ron White has one son...he calls him 'Tater Tot'
                      I thought that mention was a joke (I only know anything about Ron White from the BCC Tour DVDs). Thanks for the info.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

• Well, that explains why I can't find my post.

Quoth Rapscallion
                        Okies folks...

Let's keep this to people who hassle you about religion at work where you aren't really able to escape. Don't be too surprised if the mods come through here and trim out a few posts that aren't relevant.

If anyone is feeling sore about this thread, we have report buttons for a reason.

Rapscallion
                        I know I post something on this thread two days ago and it defiantly wasn't about SCs but pretty much my opinions on religion and my personal experience with religious folks (most outside of work). Anyway I'm happy I never had to deal with people trying convert me at work and just a few prayer cards pass along after a transaction. I have even notice a couple prayer cards taped on the back of the drink cooler which faces the registers and I think they've been there for awhile.
                        Yours truly, Robyn unless your an SC
                        My space
                        Facebook

Comment

• Quoth Mongo Skruddgemire

Before the woman could say anything Liz said "Lady, I'm a Satanist." and dropped the sheet and stood in her doorway starkers.

Mongo
                          How could you divorce a woman with balls like that?
                          That is absolutely hilarious!
                          I only wish there could have been a hidden camera to check out the expression of the PITA woman.

Comment

Working...
                          X