This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth protege View Post
    Lately, I've noticed that after Baxter is done eating...he'll start scratching the floor near his food dish. What's up with that?
    We have a cat, Gimli, that does that sometimes. He's been with my husband since he was a kitten and has never had to worry when his next meal was going to be, yet he's the one who will try to 'bury' his food, not the cat who was abused. Gimli has also taken to licking walls for whatever reason. Such a weird animal.

I would love to volunteer at a shelter, but I'm not sure I have the mental capacity to deal with how cruel people are. It's bad enough hearing stories, I'm not sure I could handle seeing first-hand the poor animals that go through so much I have a tough enough time when our previously abused cat shies away from us when we raise a hand benignly or similar things, because I know these behaviors stem from his past
    "So, let's build a snowman! We can make him our best friend. We can name him Bob or we can name him Beowulf! We can make him tall, or we can make him not so tall!"

Comment

Quoth ExRetailDrone View Post
      It's bad enough hearing stories, I'm not sure I could handle seeing first-hand the poor animals that go through so much I have a tough enough time when our previously abused cat shies away from us when we raise a hand benignly or similar things, because I know these behaviors stem from his past
      Indeed. I can't even watch Animal Cops or similar shows because every time I see some abused, half-starved pet I want to reach through the TV screen and strangle the creep responsible. I honestly don't think I could handle it in real life. You need a spine (and stomach) of steel.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Skeen View Post
        I know, right? I have 5 cats (all rescued off the street as sick, starving, or injured babies) and I haven't had to house train any of them! You just give them a litter box, make sure they know where it is, and tell them to poop there and nowhere else.

I also have one that chews things. Especially bananas. Damn, that cat likes bananas.

trailerparkmedic, I'm so glad there are people like you who take the time to be with animals and make sure they go to good homes.
        My mother has adopted two after they found us and both knew how to use a litter box. The younger one used the plants as litter boxes so we have to put rocks in all of them or he'll poop in them.

Your cat and my dog must be long lost siblings. We can't eat a banana by our own because the big gray lapdog usually gets half of it.

Comment

Quoth anyanka2 View Post
          Your cat and my dog must be long lost siblings. We can't eat a banana by our own because the big gray lapdog usually gets half of it.
          The cat will actually dig through my husband's backpack to find a banana if Mr. Skeen leaves one in there. We'll come out in the morning and find shredded banana everywhere. No sign of the cat, though, he's long gone. If only that was the weirdest thing he does...

Also, one of my cats has been hoarding. I was swiffering under the hutch the other day and found a whole pile of dry food. It's probably the banana eater, but I have no proof.

Comment

Quoth Skeen View Post
            The cat will actually dig through my husband's backpack to find a banana if Mr. Skeen leaves one in there. We'll come out in the morning and find shredded banana everywhere. No sign of the cat, though, he's long gone. If only that was the weirdest thing he does...

Also, one of my cats has been hoarding. I was swiffering under the hutch the other day and found a whole pile of dry food. It's probably the banana eater, but I have no proof.
            ... And in my next life I get to be The Librarian ...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              ... And in my next life I get to be The Librarian ...

Does the Librarian like mangos too? Because the cat does. And bread. And q-tips. And twist ties. And once a makeup sponge.

Cleaning the litter box is a real adventure sometimes.

Comment

Quoth Panacea View Post
                How she killed it, I don't know. She was declawed.
                Cat's are smart buggers. Either she bit it to death, or in the case of one of my cats, beat it around with it's paws until it had enough blunt-force trauma to die.
                "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

Quoth noone View Post
                  Cat's are smart buggers. Either she bit it to death, or in the case of one of my cats, beat it around with it's paws until it had enough blunt-force trauma to die.
                  Heart failure, most likely. Scared the thing until it died from the stress.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth noone View Post
                    There was no blood, so I doubt she bit it. Blunt force trauma, or stress like Andara mentioned, is my best guess.

But it was surprising.
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

They can break the neck/back slinging any sort of vertebrate prey around.
                      "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                      - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
                        Lately, I've noticed that after Baxter is done eating...he'll start scratching the floor near his food dish. What's up with that?
                        We had a brain damaged cat that wouldn't stop doing that until we put something on top for him. thankfully magazines or newspaper was good enough for him, the little bastard
                        "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

I both do and do not want to work at a shelter.

Why I do: I would be helping to find homes for animals who have been put up for adoption for reasons ranging from sad to moronic. I'm always sad to hear that an animal has come from a loving home that, due to circumstances beyond their control, they had to give up the pet, but I see some pretty violent shades of red when it involves abuse or just a dumb reason. I love animals, they mean a lot to me.

Why I don't: I love animals and they mean a lot to me. I see myself not only being a constant and complete wreck whenever an anima needed to be put down, but also getting into some encounters with the kind of people who are the reason most of those animals are in a shelter in the first place coming back and trying to get another one. Most people would be diplomatic in that scenario. I would flat out tell them, in no uncertain terms, what I thought of them and what they could do.
                          "I am nothing if not an equal opportunity asshole." -Gravekeeper

"F**k you and your tie." -Jester

Comment

My dad has been adopted by 3 cats. The first was Felix who was my mothers cat, but liked my dad better. Poor thing is getting up there in age and is VERY demanding of getting a share of WHATEVER you're eating, he's an eat first, sniff second kinda cat. He unfortunately started pee-ing everywhere when we got Smokey who is the only un-neutered cat in the house, but doesn't spray or acts aggressive in anyway. His only issue is that he will poop in the tub if his box isn't clean enough. I suspect he pees in there too.

Iggy I got from a woman who rescued a bunch of cats from a carrier in the middle of a parking lot. He's a spazz and a half, but has a GREAT warning system. Box not clean enough (And not a picky clean enough, just a "oops forgot to scoop out the poop yesterday")? He will pace in the bathroom and cry, and then if no one answers, he will poop right in front of the box. Is he gonna be sick? He has some kind of warble-echo-y meow he does before he pukes, so it gives us enough time to pick him up and put him in the bathroom or kitchen.

My dog Finley I got from the SPCA at the very beginning of Christmas. After spending a few months trying to find a dog on petfinder.com, and the city shelter, and checking the SPCA's site everyday, I fell in love with Finley. I was orignally trying to find a Boxer, or a bull dog (American or English). The roomies all wanted smaller dogs closer to puppy age. I wanted the biggest dog I could find and one that was just getting out of puppy stage-middle aged.

Being as that it was going to be my dog I went with a friend and looked around. All 3 of the boxers I had seen the day before were gone. One adopted (Yay for her!) and the other 2 were in surgery. But at one end of one of the wings was a hound dog that looked like a stretched out beagle. (Taller and skinnier, but same coloring) Originally named Arnold, we changed his name to Mr. Chuck Finley. He was awesome and very much thought he was a lap dog. Now that he's up to weight, he's about 90-ish pounds.

Very loveable, HATES his crate with a passion, and chews up leashes and the gentle leader. But if off leash (At least in our driveway and not fenced in backyard, he doesn't stray when supervised (Which is always) Answers to his new name beautifully. Also very clingy in the house. As soon as I get home he is glued to my side, or if I'm not home, my boyfriend's. I think he may have been a most outdoor dog and chewed through his tie out possibly since otherwise he's shown no real visible issues other than being without human interaction for long periods of time (clinginess and major anxiety when I or both my boyfriend and I leave the house.)

Comment

Working...
                            X