This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thread mutated into a discussion aaaaaahhh

Haha, oh wow. Thank you everybody, I really do appreciate all of the feedback here. That up there was a lot of pent-up anger simmering since February and it is nice to know that it's justified. Thanks.

--Moirae: Yeah, exactly. Fortunately, the guy was about eighty and clearly more angry than dangerous. Still double locked my door after he left, though. >_>

--Andara Bledin: Good idea, and I would definitely do that if I were still employed there. Unfortunately I think I remember reading something about it in the employment contract. :\ Taking any kind legal action at this point would really be more trouble than it's worth. I know when I left, other people were talking about walking out as well, so one can only hope the higher ups will wise up. Still may call the labor board and inquire, if only for the benefit of the other deliverers. A neighbor delivers for the same people in a neighborhood further away than my old one, so she may be able to spread the word.

--BetweenShades: Thirty two dollars a day, not a week! That would be awful! I should have been clearer, my bad. The employment advertisement actually says that one can "Earn Up To An Extra $1,000 A Month!" Maybe if you deliver in Mayberry or Stepford, yeah. I've noticed that the new ad they put out a couple months ago adds "...with reliable transportation..." Hah.

--Chainedbarista: First thing's first. Great username. And I couldn't agree more about having a meeting or a write-up of some kind instead of a pay dock. Unless the complaint is completely legit and reoccuring, like skipping a house for days on end or something to that effect. After all, people are paying for a service and a product. Not something like leaving the paper by the garage door instead of "The Door By The Garage!" Oh, sorry. There is no way I could have possibly misread that at three AM and there is no way you can walk the extra ten feet to retrieve your paper.

--Mooncat: You've got that right. xD I feel worse for the service reps that deal directly with these people than for the deliverers. You can tell which house has given a rep a hard time because on the route sheet, instructions come in three varieties. The normal, italicized, Leave on porch by door on right; the firmer all-caps IN TUBE NEXT TO GARAGE; and the balls-to-the-wall insane, punctuation-mad DELIVER TO VESTIBULE, NOT TUBE, REPEATED ERROR!!!!!!!

--XCashier: Nice link! That ought to be printed out and included in all delivery menus, newspaper subscriptions, and be made available in all hospital waiting rooms. Weird thing is, the richer the neighborhood, the more out of order the houses will be and the more difficult the numbers will be to find. My particular route was split between three small neighborhoods: A very rural route, a mobile home community, and a very high-end development with more hills than homes and Wayne Manor level driveways.

--Frantic Freddie:

--EricKei: More or less.

--Racket Man: Hahaha, thank you. Oh man, pizza delivery? You have my sympathy as well. Blue on white and gold on brown, ughhh. Or when they have a little whitewashed plaque built into the moulding on their front door and use really ornate, unreadable numbers that look like they came out of an illuminated manuscript. Oh and pffft, shovel? Don't delivery people know how to, like, tie tennis rackets onto their shoes or something? What do we tip you people for?

--RetailDemon: Yeah, in hindsight I should have been more wary of how skeezy this company seemed. Late papers are annoying, yeah. Especially since everything looks way different during the day than it does in the dark. Who'd have thought it would actually be harder to navigate in the daytime? xP

--Protege: ...Damn. That truck driver, what a terrible way to go. You got your papers delivered to your house? Huh, that's different. Aside from...incidents, Jesus, how would you even catagorize that?...that sounds pretty convenient! Three hours is pretty admirable for that sort of weather. And wow, those two guys sound impossible. How wonderful must your life be if your biggest problem, the one that ruins your day, is that your newspaper didn't arrive on time during a total white-out? The guy with the paper on the doorknob reminds me of a gentleman who got The Record, a paper for which we were not provided bags, every day. He never locked his screen door, so instead of leaving it on the mat I'd just leave it in between his screen and storm door, since a lot of customers requested we do this. Mostly older people. A week later he left a very nasty note rubber banded to his porch railing and demanded I leave the paper under the rubber band from now on. Okay, fine. Three or four days later it started to rain about an hour after I delivered on his street.

--Caractacus Potts: For doing that, you have the respect of myself and doubtless every delivery person you have had. Trying to steal a twenty from the pizza guy, what a sleaze. I hope your next gig was/is better. Well, you're on this website, but I hope nobody else has tried to steal from you.

Comment

Quoth TetchyAdams View Post
      Haha, oh wow. Thank you everybody, I really do appreciate all of the feedback here. That up there was a lot of pent-up anger simmering since February and it is nice to know that it's justified. Thanks.

--BetweenShades: Thirty two dollars a day, not a week! That would be awful! I should have been clearer, my bad. The employment advertisement actually says that one can "Earn Up To An Extra $1,000 A Month!" Maybe if you deliver in Mayberry or Stepford, yeah. I've noticed that the new ad they put out a couple months ago adds "...with reliable transportation..." Hah.
      Blinks and laughs, "I know who that is, more or less, its Gannet, or whoever they hire for distribution. They own like 60 locals plus USA Today, and i remember those ads at the Asbury Park Press, one of their papers. Word for word, same ad, always seemed suspicious that i could make that, but then its only just over $33/day actually, so its not all that unreasonable, but when you put it that way, it sounds great.

What's funny is that i make my living mostly delivering free magazines (well, i also have a spy route), and am setting up a distribution service here in Phoenix (speaking of, anyone want a part time delivery job, or advertising, or... my client has something like a half dozen positions open or opening in the next month, ask and i'll get you the official pitch from him), so i've seen both sides of this, and could provide some really ridiculous stories (the paper that went out of business because he could only afford to print the paper or repair his car, not both).
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

--Racket Man: Hahaha, thank you. Oh man, pizza delivery? You have my sympathy as well. Blue on white and gold on brown, ughhh. Or when they have a little whitewashed plaque built into the moulding on their front door and use really ornate, unreadable numbers that look like they came out of an illuminated manuscript. Oh and pffft, shovel? Don't delivery people know how to, like, tie tennis rackets onto their shoes or something? What do we tip you people for?

then you must remember the absolutely strange places that people think is proper placement for an address

as in:
        - a tiny sign hung in a tree 30 feet away from the door facing a direction that is not really visible

- the address number built into the front door stair railing

- behind a tall bush that is NEVER trimmed or cut back

- on the far side of a 3 car garage where the "front lights" barely reach

- on the very top of a very high peak of the porch where no light reaches even though they have lights that could double as a lighthouse seen up close

- hidden behind tons of Xmas displays and lights
        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Ugh, I remember delivery jobs. Never again.

Not to mention that at current gas prices, a job like that wouldn't even cover the gas it would take to do it.

But yes, I've done delivery jobs off an on since I was twelve. I used to have one of those good old 80 paper routes as a kid. The kind where you had to collect the money yourself? I had people who would be derelict for six months. I would get the paper to cancel them... they'd call and complain, say I never showed up to collect, and get reinstated the next day, and continue not paying.

Guess who paid for those papers?

Mostly these days I just see these sorts of things as trading in vehicle lifespan for cash. You're not really getting paid, as every cent is coming out of your tires and transmission and whatnot.
          Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Thirty two dollars a day, not a week!
            I know. It just doesn't seem worth it. Waking up at the asscrack 7 days a week for less than $300? Not for me, thanks...
            "You are beginning to damage my calm."

Comment

I have a lighted street number sign.. I got it at Ace Hardware for $35
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I had a delivery gig for a bit. Very sporadic, since it only really came up once a year.

I delivered phone books. Technically, I helped my mother and aunt deliver phone books, but it amounts to the same.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                  Welcome to the board, we have plenty of brain bleach, cookies and bacon
                  and remember Rule #1.....
                  But for Goodness Sake, do NOT forget Rule #8!!
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                    But for Goodness Sake, do NOT forget Rule #8!!
                    Rule #8? I thought Raps inhaled that one night when he got the munchies. . .

BTW, does anyone remember what it was?
                    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

--Protege: ...Damn. That truck driver, what a terrible way to go. You got your papers delivered to your house? Huh, that's different. Aside from...incidents, Jesus, how would you even catagorize that?...that sounds pretty convenient! Three hours is pretty admirable for that sort of weather. And wow, those two guys sound impossible. How wonderful must your life be if your biggest problem, the one that ruins your day, is that your newspaper didn't arrive on time during a total white-out? The guy with the paper on the doorknob reminds me of a gentleman who got The Record, a paper for which we were not provided bags, every day. He never locked his screen door, so instead of leaving it on the mat I'd just leave it in between his screen and storm door, since a lot of customers requested we do this. Mostly older people. A week later he left a very nasty note rubber banded to his porch railing and demanded I leave the paper under the rubber band from now on. Okay, fine. Three or four days later it started to rain about an hour after I delivered on his street.
                      Before 1992, Pittsburgh had two daily papers--the Post-Gazette (6 days) in the morning, and the Press (7 days) at night. That year, the Teamsters union went on strike, mainly because they not only wanted more money (they already made about $70,000 on average, for driving a truck), but they wanted the carrier jobs as well. That summer, was when I lost my route--the company which (by then) owned both papers decided to consolidate, and the Press was discontinued. Until then, they'd drop off bundled papers wherever the carriers lived.

Yep, that driver was *damn* lucky he wasn't killed. Apparently, he had swerved to avoid hitting someone else, and since the truck (IIRC, it was a pickup, with a box where the bed was) had just left the printing plant, the higher center of gravity took over, and it flipped. Something under the truck punctured the fuel tank, causing an inferno.

When I had that route, there were plenty of cheapskates. Some of them were constantly 'broke' or would find other attempts to get out of paying me. For example, I had a guy flip out on me because I'd forgotten about a holiday, and he was upset about having to pay a quarter for a paper that wasn't delivered. Even though I apologized, he was still screaming about it. Same guy got busted later that year for punching out a ref at his child's soccer game. Loser.

As for putting papers inside the doors, I always did that. Too many people would bitch if their newspaper was blowing around the yard otherwise. One guy, even had a little box on his stoop for the paper. Getting one of the holiday Sunday editions in that thing was always a challenge
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        I have a lighted street number sign.. I got it at Ace Hardware for $35
                        and delivery drivers of all walks say a heartfelt THANK YOU

I wish more of my customer would have that brilliant idea crammed into their heads (along with FIXING THEIR DAMN PORCH LIGHT or at the very least TURNING THEM ON)
                        I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                        -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

It was tasty with fava beans.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post

Gonna take a wild guess here...

Rule #8 = Do not forget about Rule #1 ?
                            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                              and delivery drivers of all walks say a heartfelt THANK YOU

I wish more of my customer would have that brilliant idea crammed into their heads (along with FIXING THEIR DAMN PORCH LIGHT or at the very least TURNING THEM ON)
                              Welcome. I hate trying to find a house or business and nobody has a street number anywhere to be found. Makes me very grumpy.
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

This is why I used to have an electric wreath with all lavender (and no other color) lights hanging up in my window. I'd just tell people to look for the lavender wreath. Worked every time.
                                Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                                X