Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am forever getting my first name spelt wrong. There is only one way to spelt it and its the way it's pronuced and people still insist in adding an e to the end or sticking in a few extra vowels. Or both. Cause a 5 letter name with 3 vowels needs more.

My last name is a type of common transport with 2 of the last letter instead of one. Very common and very simple. And so often spelt wrong. People always seem to go for the rare, unusual spelling not my plain boring one.

Comment

The guy who comes in every day that used to lecture me on how my store is losing business over not allowing employees to swipe their badge (we do now, it was a technological hang up) asked me what my name was today. I told him, he looked at me funny, so I turned my hospital badge around. He said "Oh! It's Lee-uh!"

I winced on the inside but smiled and said "No, actually it's Lay-uh. It's Old Hebrew." He just nodded and said, "Oookaay.... So it's Lee-uh."

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
        "No, actually it's Lay-uh. It's Old Hebrew."
        ...and suddenly, the avatar makes perfect sense.
        Sometimes life is altered.
        Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
        Uneasy with confrontation.
        Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

Check out this nonsense!

Wee!

Comment

One year in high school one of the student teachers we had got to basically take over the class for a full term. Giving homework, assignments, marking us, calling the roll, etc, with the real teacher sitting up the back keeping an eye on things.

My name is very like Chloe (but not ). It's a "Oh-ee" sound at the end there, and a pretty rare name. About 90% of the people I meet say it wrong the first time if they see it written down, but once I correct them they get it right. About 90% of the people I meet SPELL it wrong the first time if I say it to them . They love adding I's and Y's and W's and all sorts of things. My first and last name both have this problem so I'm well used to it and pretty laid back about it all and very patient.

Anyway, so, this teacher. Every single time he called the roll and got to my name, he would say it "Chlo", without the "ee" on there. And every single time he did this I would say "Actually it's Chloe, I'm here." After about 4 weeks of this (3 english classes a week, so well over 12 times he got corrected, counting talking to me during class as well) I was getting fed up. Again he called the roll and said "Chlo." And my brain had a mini-snap . I said really sharply "It's Chlo-EE. Chlo-EE. There's an E!"
            So what does he do? Every time he called roll for the rest of the term, when he got to my name, he would look up, find me, look right at me, and say nastily "Chlo-EEEEEEEE?"

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with teachers anymore
            Re: Quiche.
            Pie is manly.
            Eggs, meat, and cheese are manly.
            Therefore, making an egg, meat, and cheese pie must be very manly.
            So sayeth Spiffy McMoron!

Comment

I had a science teacher in high school that would mispronounce my name constantly! He added two vowels that weren't there.
              After a while, I just stopped responding to him. What,it's not my name! He got miffed at me, and when I pointed out that what he is calling me is NOT MY NAME, he threw me out of class. My parents had a little chat with the headmaster, and it was never a problem again after that.
              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Haha, I wish I'd thought of that iradney Although I was at a bad point in those days and probably wouldn't have had the gall to do it...

Woulda been fun though!
                "ChloEE?"
                "..."
                "ChloEEEEEEE?"
                "..."
                "I know you're here, answer the roll!"
                "Oh I'm sorry, I thought there was a new student you were calling! Would you like to try again? "
                Pie is manly.

Comment

BTW, BusyBee, much avatar love!
                  I only really did it coz I knew my parents would back me up on it. Otherwise I'd have been in deep doo-doo!
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Thankyou! I have no idea what your av is referencing, if anything, but it makes me smile every time I see it

In all fairness my mum probably would've gone on the defensive for me. Actually my *real* English teacher really liked me (I'd been getting all A's for english since grade 3, of course she liked me lol) so she may have let me get away with it too, and quietly had a word with the stinky student teacher.
                    If the principal had ever found out though, I'm sure he'd chuck a spaz. He was a poopyhead
                    Pie is manly.

Comment

• My sophmore year of high school I had a teacher say my last name wrong. It isn't like I have a difficult last name to say, either. It's like a certain animal, but with an "s" on each end. Not hard to say. Or read. So I corrected the teacher and she instantly decided not to worry about my last name, but to instead call me a character from Winnie the Pooh. I was Tigger for the next three years.

She's the only teacher I ever really liked there.

Comment

• Quoth FenigDurak View Post
                        Check out this nonsense!

Wee!
                        DUDE!!!! How do you get your hair to DO that???? My hair is the right color, and nearly down to my seat cushions, but I can't get it to do that!
                        GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

• My name is Diana, not Diane. I have corrected my doctor's office many times on the proper way to say and write my name. They still call me Diane. GRRR!

I have resorted to ignoring anyone who is calling out Diane, since that is not my name, they can't be talking to me.

I can forgive misprouncing my last name, since it's a long Italian name, but my first name is only 5 letters long and NOT THAT HARD!

There is famous dead princess with the same name and when I tell people tell this, so they can figure out the proper way to say and spell my name I still get "Is that Diana with one n or two?"
                          Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Working...
                          X