Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Best Way to Get Revenge....Is To Steal! (long, idiocy)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Way to Get Revenge....Is To Steal! (long, idiocy)

Alrighties, I promised I'd post it. Just didn't have the time yesterday.

So anyways, this all starts a few months ago. I did a big design for a rather nice client (OMG A NICE CLIENT NO WAY), and it was massively successful. His site took off in a BIG way. One of client's buddies at that point became hugely jealous of his success, and started attacking client and his website. And then dragged ME into it by messaging me some rather nasty stuff.

Their logic was that, since I did the design that gave my client's site a huge boost....its all MY fault he's successful. They'd come to me in the past for an estimate, and turned it down because they were too cheap. They instead bought one of the cheap premades, and slapped that on up there. A premade is nice, but it makes the site look like others, and it ends up causing more problems in the long run if they don't get a custom design, and soon. In this industry, a custom design is pretty much required if you want to succeed.

So yep, I got attacked too, and immediately regretted it. You see, I'm on the board of a rather high profile group for the industry.

On board, as in, I run it.

So, with this, I gave him a warning to cut it out. He ignored it. I promptly kicked him out of the group, and again warned him to stop. Of course....he continued. Well, he had two other staff members for his site in the group....I bounced both of them straight on out. It finally sunk in at that point how big of a mistake he'd made, and he started throwing a tantrum, demanding I reinstate them immediately. I pretty much laughed and said no, you were warned, you didn't stop. His mind at this point must've broke, because he tried to threaten me again, and got nastier.

Well, I also own a rather large website that aggregates reviews for each website. Its a rather big thing to have a banner from my site that shows their ranking/star rating.

I banned them immediately. And then informed them of my decision, and that they were now banned from any, and all, of my websites and related businesses.

Dead silence, for once. Followed by another tantrum, and a another veiled threat that I made a bad decision. I ignored it, as they'd pretty much shot themselves in both feet with their behavior. Nothing to worry about.

Fast forward to this week.

Out of nowhere, on Facebook, Jealous Dude messages me, telling me I'd made a very bad decision in siding with client, and rants for a bit. I'm confused as to why this all is being said...so I go and head on over to his site to see if there's any clues.

And boy howdy, were there. Right on his homepage, I see some images that are disturbingly familiar. As in, my work. I email him a cease and desist order, telling him to remove said images.

He does a couple hours later, ranting. And then within an hour, they go back up, slightly edited in Photoshop.

Another C&D, stating that those ALSO need removed, and that he is not to use any of my images, or artwork, in any of his creations, or in making new images.

Images go down, not a word from him this time.

I assume things are handled, and go about my business for the next couple of days....up until I get a message from someone asking if I made a graphic for someone's website. I don't recognize the name, so I go to it to see what's up.

Lo and behold, its another one of my images, having been edited in Photoshop. I contact the owner and request its removal. He apologizes, and says "I'm sorry, I bought a site design from <Jealous Dude> and he put them there."

....say what.

Upon further research, I find out that Jealous Dude decided to get 'revenge' on me by going into site design. And that it would 'sweeten the revenge' to use my own images for his designs.

Oh no he didn't.

Another email to Jealous Dude, this time its all serious face. I explain that this is his final warning, any more violations, and I will drag him to court and pursue statutory damages for repeated, intentional copyright violations.

He replies back that since he edited the images in Photoshop, and therefore "generated entirely new images", he was free and clear.

My response? "Then I'll see you in court."

He immediately removed the images five minutes later, and replied that he won't be using them again, and that its all my fault, I started this in the first place.

Yep, I guess I learned a hard lesson there, I need to make less awesome designs and make sure they aren't so good.
    By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

How...how DARE you...you be GOOD at what you do, and...and how DARE Nice Client go so far as to, ummm...willingly PAY you what your high-quality work is ACTUALLY WORTH?

YOU BROKE MY SWORD! I'LL FIX YOU FOR THAT!

Last edited by Cat Herder; 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM. Reason: Corrected "go go far" to "go so far"

Comment

I love how no one seems to understand that altering an image does not "generate an entirely new image" it's called a "derivative work." Therefore, still under copyright infringement.

In order to "generate an entirely new image" one must... well... generate an entirely new image.

Seraph, sometimes I think you need a secretary to handle all this kind of crap for you. The C&D (and the nastier cousin) yelling at people and explain NO, you DON'T work for free. You'd probably get a lot more work done and have a lot less stress. (Or, more time to spend with the kidlets.)
      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

Quoth AmbrosiaWriter View Post
        Seraph, sometimes I think you need a secretary to handle all this kind of crap for you. The C&D (and the nastier cousin) yelling at people and explain NO, you DON'T work for free. You'd probably get a lot more work done and have a lot less stress. (Or, more time to spend with the kidlets.)
        Yeah, but I'd feel bad for them, having to deal with all of that. =/
        By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
          It's all in a day's work - and they would be able to dish out nice karma to people Just make sure you pay them decently!
          I speak English, L33t, Sarcasm and basic Idiot.

Comment

No, what she needs is her own Predator drone.

Comment

don't you think "The Predator" would be better?

Comment

its all MY fault he's successful
                Yes, oddly enough, people pay for good work so that they can be successful. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I guess Mr. Cheapskate thinks it's unfair that he can't be, well, cheap....and still succeed.
                When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kazim View Post
                  don't you think "The Predator" would be better?
                  Well she is the Predate-or as in her work predates all the thieves.

Comment

Maybe he was hoping for a fair-use-through-parody exemption?
                    This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
                    I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                      Haha, I can see why you would. I just suggested it because there are people who make a living, quite happily, in telling people off for trying to give them a run around. (I used to do it when I worked at the shipping company. People would try to either get us to charge way less than our operating cost, or would claim that WE should pay customs duty and tax for them because we supposedly didn't inform them of the additional charges... which we always did. It was right in the flipping contract.)

I just thought of it because after your last post I went back and read all the threads you've started to get a full idea of your title, and just went "DAAAMMNN..."

Then I paused and went, "..............DAAAYYYUUMMM..."
                      My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
                      It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

I love how no one seems to understand that altering an image does not "generate an entirely new image" it's called a "derivative work." Therefore, still under copyright infringement.
                        I know, right?

Seraph; there are people who would enjoy having a job like that. Especially if you gave them free rein (within reason) to shoot them down both verbally and legally.
                        You just need to find one who does it with impeccable taste, precise logic, and a sense of humour. (The latter of which will be lost on your opponents, alas.)

It sweetens the deal for people with this skillset if they're doing their job for the sake of giving someone with valuable skills time to actually use those skills. So all you'd need to do is find someone who enjoys it and can produce the sort of response you'd want; and be a decent boss to them.

I suspect it's worth a try. The extra income you may be able to generate by spending the time-and-effort on site creation would have to exceed a fair payment schedule for your assistant, of course: but if it does.....
                        Seshat's self-help guide:
                        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

since I did the design that gave my client's site a huge boost....its all MY fault he's successful.
                          Well of course it is! I mean, that's why people pay for your custom sites.

Granted, you obviously can't be completely responsible for the success. What's the phrase... "you can't polish shit." So, GoodCompany sounds like they were very polishable, especially if they were a rare non-crazy client.

As for AsshatCompany... I'm betting even if they had an identical website to GoodCompany's they'd still shoot themselves in the foot by being ... well, asshats of course.

Glad they at least finally pulled their heads out of their asses though.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
                            "you can't polish shit."
                            Sure you can.

SC
                            "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

You can't polish a turd, no, but you CAN roll it in glitter... lol.
                              Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Comment

Working...
                              X