This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post
    Don't worry, I'm a little curious to know the details as well. While I would understand the employee freezing up in panic, to say that the employee ignored the whole affair-and the customer he/she was helping said nothing at all-is a little too much for me. And if I were the manager or bossman that was there, I would be saying alot more than "fire bad!"
    [Devil's Advocate:On]

Well, he did say the fire was small and blue. Blue flames are (usually) low heat flames, and usually don't leap/flicker much. I can be pretty easy to miss them. They can also be chemically affected flames.

Also, the employee was busy at the time. I know there have been times when I will acknowlege someone talking to me, while basically ignoring what was said, then come back and ask, "Now what did you need again?" I could easily see myself missing a small fire like that not burning directly in my line of sight. Especially if it hadn't started smelling noticably.

[DA:Off]

EDIT: Hmm, I note now he said "Great Blue Flames." I'm guessing there was reaction with the paint/plastic. Sticking by my involved employee theory though.
    Last edited by Geek King; 01-11-2007, 06:07 PM.
    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Depending on the type of flame. A blue to blueish white flame, caused by hydrocarbon fuel (a reaction of C-H molecules), is the hottest type of flame, red being the coolest and yellow falling in the middle. All flames are the result of a chemical reaction (exothermic/combustion! Take that chemistry class!). Oh and some chemicals required for a blue flame tend to be copper chloride or calcium chloride, but those are usually used for fireworks. The blue part of flames tend to stick close to the heat source as that is the reaction zone of fuel + oxygen, the layer in which fuel is consumed.

Which is why I am confused as to how the flames coming from the xbox360 could have been large and blue.
      "I live in Los Angeles, and I was on the walk of fame. I was drunk, and I got a henna tattoo that says, 'Forever.'" -Zack Galifianakis

Call Sophia Moore or Kent E. Ryder for a good time!

Comment

Quoth KuzcoLlama View Post
        Which is why I am confused as to how the flames coming from the xbox360 could have been large and blue.
        You could possibly get blue from various chemical reactions. I remember working with copper once and getting the prettiest green I've ever seen in the flames.

"Large", though, I'm not sure about.

Comment

Yes, you can get blue flames from different chemical reactions as I expressed in my previous post. My bewilderment was wondering if such chemicals were in the xbox 360 or what could have happened to cause such a reaction. Any fire-related incidents seem to have only occured in the original xbox. Xbox 360's main problem was HD failure and crashing. The inner fan and having it set in the proper position would prevent any sort of overheating.
          "I live in Los Angeles, and I was on the walk of fame. I was drunk, and I got a henna tattoo that says, 'Forever.'" -Zack Galifianakis

Comment

I'm guessing there's enough metal of varying composition in the circit boards and connectors of an Xbox to cause all sorts of pretty colored flames if you light one up....
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
              I'm guessing there's enough metal of varying composition in the circit boards and connectors of an Xbox to cause all sorts of pretty colored flames if you light one up....
              This is true. I've thrown several circuit boards into the fire over the years. Many times, all sorts of pretty colors were seen--bright blues, odd greens, reds, etc. Most of the metals on a board are in the traces ("wires") etched onto the board's surfaces.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Ah, so circuit boards are in xbox 360s? If that's the case, then it makes sense. Thanks protege.

Comment

Ah, so circuit boards are in xbox 360s? If that's the case, then it makes sense. Thanks protege.
                  Any piece of modern electronics has a circuit board.

Comment

i dont think i can comprehend this statement, just going about his business i think im about to faint

Comment

Hehe you're welcome. Are you still singing the Llama Song? :P
                      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                        [Devil's Advocate:On]
                        Also, the employee was busy at the time. I know there have been times when I will acknowlege someone talking to me, while basically ignoring what was said, then come back and ask, "Now what did you need again?"
                        I can attest to this, I dont remember what thread it was but I wrote about the time we had a bomb threat in our building, and we had to phisycally remove a coworker from her support call, she was so into it that even when we told her "there's a bomb in the building" she responded to us with "Huh yea, one second...", we had to hang the phone she was holding up for her to focus on our words and comprehending. Her face was unforgetable.. lol
                        I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

As to the fire. Yeah, reading back I can see how it may be misunderstood. Looking back, I think the thing was spitting sparks and had a inch sized flame coming out of the top where it links with the HDD. Maybe smaller but when you see them going up like that it's unnerving.

The whole episode, from start to the first signs of problems took maybe five minutes at the most. The fire incident reads like it went slow, but it didn't. Maybe 10 seconds at the most. Not counting grabbing the fire extinguisher. It was all going about the same time really, with the manager yelling at the associate, me standing there dumbfounded and the associate trying to ignore the thing.

I personally suspect that one of the internal connections; most likely something around one of the fans, crapped out and short circuited. I know, that the 20 min thing had been from overheating; because I remember when I first plugged it in here at the house. At one point, the case and the power brick had become so hot that you couldn't physically touch it without getting burned.
                          Learn wisdom by the follies of others.

Comment

I have to say, in working video game retail now for a bit over a year, I haven't been lucky enough to see a 360 or anything else go up in flames. Nice! And I can completely see the clerk not noticing the fire and, when being told about it, giving that kind of reply. I ignore stuff all the time when I'm working with a customer. Especially if there's some sort of store membership or other extra service being sold.

I also want to correct one little thing (sorry, it's my OCD): the HDDs are NOT linked to 360 consoles. I use mine routinely at work and at friends homes on their 360s simply cause I don't want to carry around my 360.

Comment

Working...
                            X